Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motor tax question

• 05-11-2009 2:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

It says on the motor tax site that cars registered after 01/07/2008 is based on emissions rather than engine size.
    Does that mean registered in Ireland?
    I'm looking at a car in the UK registered in March 2008 and if imported, would be registered in ireland this year, so does that mean the tax will be based on engine size or emissions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

I think commonsense actually happend with cars registered between Jan 08 and end June 08. What I belive will happen is that you will pay which every is cheaper. i.e. if car is 1.6 and tax on engine size is say €430 but emmissions would have tax at €156, you will pay the €156.00

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Sevenspeed

hopefully that's the case as it is quite a difference in the amounts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭veetwin

I think commonsense actually happend with cars registered between Jan 08 and end June 08. What I belive will happen is that you will pay which every is cheaper. i.e. if car is 1.6 and tax on engine size is say €430 but emmissions would have tax at €156, you will pay the €156.00

I'm open to correction here but AFAIK imported cars first registered before July 08 pay motor tax on engine size. Irish cars registered bet Jan and July 08 pay on whichever is the cheaper.

What is AFAIK?

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Sand Wedge

You will pay motor tax based on CO2 not engine size on any car that was first registered after 01/01/2008.

• Advertisement

That's good news, are you sure of that?
    Don't want to go ahead and buy the car then find I have a huge motor tax bill to pay. Seems impossible to get through to motor tax office

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭privateBeavis

From Motor Tax Online:

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/co2_emissions_rates_2009_en.pdf
    Cars First Registered Outside Ireland

- A private car first registered abroad prior to 1 January 2008 will be taxed on engine
    size (cc). The new CO2 based system does not apply to second-hand imports that were
    registered abroad prior to 2008.

- A private car first registered abroad between 1 January 2008 and 30 June 2008
    inclusive and subsequently registered in Ireland will be taxed on whichever is the lesser
    of the motor tax rates based engine (cc) or CO2 emissions.

- A private car first registered abroad after 1 July 2008 and subsequently registered in
    Ireland will be taxed on the CO2 rate.

So which ever is cheaper!! You Choose :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Sand Wedge

Yes, go into motortax.ie and click on Motor Tax Rates then click on the CO2 rates. It explains it at the bottom!

thaks guys, that's a relief!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

From Motor Tax Online:

https://www.motortax.ie/OMT/pdf/co2_emissions_rates_2009_en.pdf

So which ever is cheaper!! You Choose :-)

Oh Yeah, Oh Yeah, I was right. In your face Doubters....:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement