Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

**** food!

Options
  • 03-06-2004 1:57pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭

I Bought some sweets during the week and got real bored so i decide to check the web to find out what all the E numbers meant.
    Turns out my humble jelly's are banned in Australia, USA, Norway, Sweden, Belgium, France, Germany, Switzerland and Austria.

I think they should say the countries that ban it as well as the E numbers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Personally I love E150d. It's my favourite E number unlike that nasty E123 that those giant refresher bars use to have before somebody decided that it was too evil.

Quick somebody go to F/S and demand a forum for discussing E numbers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

Gwan, Superman, name and shame. What were the sweets called?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭Kone

Stuff like that REALLY worries me,

These companies are pumping chemicals, flavourings and preservatives into kids at a younger and younger age, in about 20 years we're going to have a mean group of kids resembling findus frozen dinners wandering about!

BTW aren't we the only country that still sells Red Lemonade?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I thought anything with an E-number was approved as safe by the EU, whereas numbers without an E were dodgy?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭subway_ie

Originally posted by Stephen
    I thought anything with an E-number was approved as safe by the EU, whereas numbers without an E were dodgy?

I think the ones without the E's are just big chemical names, like instead of E471, they'd write down "Mono- and diglycerides of fatty acids (glyceryl monostearate, glyceryl distearate)". So if they're dodgy, they just don't bother with the nubers, just give the full chemical name.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭Superman

yeah the E part means it is authenticated by some eu agency but that really doesn't mean shit. The maion problem is when these chemicals mix in the body and form a "cocktail" of chemicals. Which EU agencies do not test in the lab.

The sweet was candy corner - fizzy sticks. got a tub in musgraves!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Superman your here long enough to actually know check other boards to see if theyre more suitable for the topic....

Moved to food

sorry! justy thought with boards being pretty dead these days the easiest palce to post was after-hours!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

mmm E Numbers ahahahahahahah:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

E951 is the one to watch..........Aspartame

It's in pretty much everything now, but has has a real rocky ride in the press & with the Food Safety Agencies.

There is a small group of people who cannot safely consume aspartame. These are the sufferers of the inherited disease phenylketonuria (PKU), who are unable to metabolise the amino acid phenylalanine effectively, leading to the accumulation of potentially harmful levels. PKU is a serious, metabolic disorder, affecting 1 in 10,000 individuals and if untreated, it can cause serious brain damage.

http://www.foodstandards.gov.uk/safereating/additivesbranch/sweeteners/55174

1 in 10,000.That's a HUGE risk - very bad odds.

I worked in theFood Standards Dept. of the Ministry of Agriculture in London for many years & I don't let my kids near the stuff.

• Advertisement

I'm no wiz but isn't PKU what they test for with the prick test on the foot on new born babies.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

Originally posted by Superman
    I'm no wiz but isn't PKU what they test for with the prick test on the foot on new born babies.

Is that the test they perform just before announcing whether its a boy or girl? :D

What were the E numbers of those food dyes that were deemed really really bad and everyone stopped eating them, and then promptly forgot about it and went back to their happy ignorant consumption?

Red food colouring was it?

I heard a rumour once that the green M&Ms were a mild aphrodisiac... great present for the girlfriend.. she gets chocolate and you get what you want as well :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

i hear the wheat and stuff they use in bread hasn't got the nutrients in them when they are harvested because of chemicals and they have to add them back in in the bakery & heard its bleached? peroxide?

Advertisement