Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vegetarian stuff

Options
  • 26-05-2004 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭

Right there may be mention of veggie stuff here somewhere but i did not notice any.
    How about a Veggie forum?

Anyway my tips for a great Veggie meal, tastes so good you will not even notice the lack of meat.
    Veggie Chilli/Fajita
    Ok what you need (not too strict about what you use)
    Some peppers,Mushrooms,chopped Aubergine (eggplant),chopped Courgette (Zuchini).
    Stir fry this lot then add some chopped tomatos,kidney beans and some Chilli poweder and some grated cheese. Stir around for a few mins.
    Just add to some rice for Veg Chilli or else put into a Fajita wrap... sprinkle more cheese on and put in oven for a few mins to melt the cheese.

Word of advice, Dont make without cheese or Aubergine as its just not the same. These are my 2 fave things in a veggie dish.

This tastes fantastic. For a bit more bite you can add some Hot Chillis into the mix.. or of you are too lazy to make yourself just replace the chopped tomato and chilli powder with some fajita salsa sauce.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

So what's the story with veggies who eat fish - is that allowed, or are they just bending the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Course it is, i dont eat it much and there are no rules. Im not a veggie because of the poor animals though i would say if i ever saw first hand where meat comes from i would never even taste a piece of meat again including fish.. anywa im a veggie for health reasons.. fish is easy to digest and so i still eat as its a good source of protein :D

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Originally posted by Andip
    So what's the story with veggies who eat fish - is that allowed, or are they just bending the rules
    That's called a pescatarian.
    And the chilli recipe is making me hungry here!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭alleepally

That's a good recipe I'm going to try it out.

Does anyone ever use quorn? I love it with a pasta sauce and spaghetti.

re: the fish argument - personally I don't eat it but I do eat dairy product. I think being a vegan would be too hard to do.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Make a quorn curry, using a really spicy sauce, throw in a few stir-fried veg and have it with naan bread. mmmmmmmmmm...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭ARKANGEL

most professional chefs look on vegetarians as been veritable lepers..and they would rather send them to vincents hospital for an injection than to cook a vegetarian dish in a restaurant for them...

Tried the Veggie Fajita last night (without the aubergine - we don't see eye-to-eye -lol) - Mmmmmmmm

Highly recommended - thanks Saruman

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Glad to oblige lads..
    Andip seriously? no aubergine? They are so great when they are cooked till REAL soft. mmmmm....

Im multi talented.. I can fix PC's AND i can cook.. my dad was a chef years ago... I dont take after him in any way as he does not cook now. :D
    I cant think of any other good recipies i have have come up with, usually i just throw stuff together but.. eh... Its BBQ season.. go BBQ some veg.. peppers and Aubergine, and Mushrooms.. and whatever else you have.. I have yet to master this particular skill as i used to just do meat..

Quorn? yes.. i use it sometimes.. i sometimes will add the chicken type stuff to the Fajita.

So im a pescatarian huh? Jebus that sounds like a disease :D

Originally posted by ARKANGEL
    most professional chefs look on vegetarians as been veritable lepers..and they would rather send them to vincents hospital for an injection than to cook a vegetarian dish in a restaurant for them...

that's a load of bol*x. there are very few restaurants who don't have some vegetarian option on the menu. If they don't have an option, quite frankly they are behind the times.

any chef that thinks that way is a knuckle dragging caveman. the stereotypical image of the pasty faced, weedy looking vegetarian is nonsense too. never forget the time a few years ago I was in a restaurant and asked for vegetarian option and i actually got the comment from the waitress "oh my god, you look so healthy, i wouldn't have guessed you were vegetarian". I kid you not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Originally posted by ARKANGEL

True true cant beat a bit of meat we have evolved over millions of years eaten meat why are people so picky now a days?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭ARKANGEL

well being a chef now for over 20 years and having taught in cathal brugha street where they train our young chefs to be...its true about the vegetarian hating chefs..for example lots of chefs that i personally know absolutely hate cooking something special for a veggie if the veggie has asked for something specific..its not because they really hate them..its just when ur in a busy stressful environment and someone is looking for a diffrent veggie dish as opposed to the one on the menu..the chef will throw a hissy fit.anyways i didnt come here to start a flame..just an observation of mine over the years thats all..and believe it or not..i cater for many vegetarians in my restaurant right now.

Well speaking from a customers point of view, when I go to a restaurant, I look at the menu and if I don't like what I see I leave. I've never asked for anything special.

Chefs are tempremental anyway. If anyone asked for anything special they'd throw a wobbly and probably spit in the food.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Originally posted by alleepally

Chefs are tempremental anyway.

yeah just watch hells kitchen:D your man wanted two fried wggs and yer man went beserk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭Tommy Vercetti

been a veggie now for 14 years, I hate aubergines and courgettes though

Not that I don't like the Aubergines...just have a similar effect on me to Jerusalem Artichokes !!!

:D

I made this recipe last night

http://www.vegsoc.org/nvw/2004/recipes/tortillas.html

and I have to say it is absolutely delicious. It's very filling and can even be eaten cold - I had it for lunch today and it made a change from a plain old sandwich.

Recommend y'all to give it a go. A few things I would do differently if I made it again.

Use plain tortillas . I used the Tesco tomato ones but I reckon plain would allow the other flavours come out more.

Make sure the tortillas are nice and crispy under the grill. I didn't let mine crisp enough.

Use a spicy tomato sauce for a real kick.

Give it about 25 minutes rather than the 15 to 20 specified.

This would be a great option for veggies at a barbecue. Have it premade, and then simply warm it up again on the barbecue. Magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 weebrat

Have to appreciate the temperamental chefs. They're artistes of course. Being a vegan for a very long time I have to say I don't find it hard at all, far from it.

And if Mr Saruman thinks he's a vegetarian whilst eating fish he's a little deluded. Like non-smokers who only smoke at at the weekends.

There are lots of great veggie (and vegan) dishes available at restaurants around Ireland, particularly (but not exclusively) Dublin. But you have to have a bit of nous. A French restaurant is likely to be trouble. An Italian restaurant is likely to be too easy.

I talked some years back to a silver service chef I knew, whilst his menu didn't normally cater to vegetarians that well he was very insulted by the idea that he couldn't cater for veggies and vegans if he knew they were coming.

weebrat

Advertisement