Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does anyone recognise this spider ?

Options
  • 22-04-2014 10:28pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭

He is huge but started moving so I chickened out of taking pictures but will attempt to .
    He is black with markings on his back and about the size of of a biscuit .

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭p.e.s.

looks like a wolf spider , common enough harmless spider

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

Looks like a house spider to me. I wouldn't expect a wolf spider to be on a wall

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It is in the bath .
    We get a lot of spiders but it just looks huge !
    Thanks for the replies .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not great definition in the picture but looks like a House Spider (Tegenaria domestica) to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

Where are you OP? Please tell me NOT Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thanks , he is now gone .
    I was a little nervous cause the kids quite like spiders and trying to teach them not to be afraid of them while having doubhts myself is stressful !!

turnikett1 wrote: »
    Where are you OP? Please tell me NOT Ireland!

:confused: That was a perfectly harmless common Irish spider.

:confused: That was a perfectly harmless common Irish spider.

I have never seen a spider in Ireland that big, I thought they were reserved for places like Oz :D I am terrified of spiders (unfortunately, because they're interesting creatures!) and would rather not know that I run the risk of finding one of these in my shoe :eek:

Just checked Wikipedia and apparently you can find these everywhere... and here was me thinking Ireland was home to tiny spiders and nothing else of the arachnid sort! Shows how uneducated about spiders I am... Just reading about them gives me the heebie jeebies

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Looks very similar to a few I have found in my house over the last few months, same markings on the back and had striped legs. Not as big as a biscuit though, well maybe a custard cream :)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Desmo

I have never seen a spider in Ireland that big, I thought they were reserved for places like Oz :D I am terrified of spiders (unfortunately, because they're interesting creatures!) and would rather not know that I run the risk of finding one of these in my shoe :eek:

Just checked Wikipedia and apparently you can find these everywhere... and here was me thinking Ireland was home to tiny spiders and nothing else of the arachnid sort! Shows how uneducated about spiders I am... Just reading about them gives me the heebie jeebies

That link is for wolf spiders (Lycosidae) which are indeed everywhere in Ireland but most are the size of a finger nail and completely harmless. They run around and catch prey rather than use webs. You see them running around on broken ground in gardens; small black fast guys.

That picture is of a house spider (Tegenaria species; family agalenidae). They can get big and are often found in houses and fall into baths, looking for water to drink, and can't get out. They can be the size of a 2euro coin or bigger but are also harmless, just a bit intimidating when you have to get them out of eh house. I usually use a glass and piece of cardboard and put them in the garden. They do make webs which are big flat things in corners.

• Advertisement

Desmo wrote: »
    That link is for wolf spiders (Lycosidae) which are indeed everywhere in Ireland but most are the size of a finger nail and completely harmless. They run around and catch prey rather than use webs. You see them running around on broken ground in gardens; small black fast guys.

That picture is of a house spider (Tegenaria species; family agalenidae). They can get big and are often found in houses and fall into baths, looking for water to drink, and can't get out. They can be the size of a 2euro coin or bigger but are also harmless, just a bit intimidating when you have to get them out of eh house. I usually use a glass and piece of cardboard and put them in the garden. They do make webs which are big flat things in corners.

Well spiders the size of a 2 euro coin don't really bother me... OP's picture makes it look like the size of a Huntsman! Which apparently are also quite common across the globe :D

I always thought the wolf spider was the bigger of the 2, but I stand corrected , and a little more informed.
    Thanks

p.e.s. wrote: »
    I always thought the wolf spider was the bigger of the 2, but I stand corrected , and a little more informed.
    Thanks

Wolf spiders are a whole family; some are big; most Irish ones are fingernail size; in other countries, they could be ginormous.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Chem Lord

Saw one of these in my bathroom last year, it must have been just smaller than the palm of my hand.... God I hate spiders.....

Well spiders the size of a 2 euro coin don't really bother me... OP's picture makes it look like the size of a Huntsman! Which apparently are also quite common across the globe :D

They are indeed common in many places across the globe but not in Ireland.

I came across this large House spider today in Rush, The pipe he is standing on is 22mm Dia Copper just for a comparison of size

Sorry , I cant put up a photo for another couple of posts , I will put up the photo soon.

This is a common and a relatively large harmless spider. The body length can be up to 15mm with leg length up to 30mm.
    There are larger quite common spiders in Ireland!!!

p.e.s. wrote: »
    I came across this large House spider today in Rush, The pipe he is standing on is 22mm Dia Copper just for a comparison of size

Sorry , I cant put up a photo for another couple of posts , I will put up the photo soon.

I have hit the 50 post mark, so Here are 2 photos of house spiders , the one on the white backround , the white plastic is approx 50mm across

Advertisement