Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just being Nosey - A couple of random questions

Options
  • 12-04-2014 4:29pm

Hi, I keep meaning to ask a couple of questions, as I'm sure someone out there might know the answers, please

Firstly, a few weeks ago there were seven or eight small fishing boats about 500 metres off the beach by Seapoint Golf Course. I've been going to that beach for years and not seen them fishing there before, and I wondered what they might have been fishing for??

Secondly, is it my eyesight or has the statue of the Bull disappeared from alongside the M1 up near Dundalk? It was one of the better pieces of public art IMO, and I know that the odd one has been taken for scrap. The bull was great, it sort of appeared very ethereally out of the morning mist. Has it disappeared altogether?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Last time I passed the bull, it was there.

MugMugs wrote: »
    Last time I passed the bull, it was there.

Blimey, I haven't spotted in on three occasions recently, I won't crack the SpecSavers joke but I must pay more attention!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The bull is certainly still there and the fishing boats are regularly along that stretch of coast for lobster etc.

Did you suddenly wake up and look around or something? :)

The bull is certainly still there and the fishing boats are regularly along that stretch of coast for lobster etc.

I must be blind. I have not seen the bull recently (despite often looking out for it, cos I like it) and in ten years I've never seen the boats in that close (!)

I feel a bit of a twit (nothing new there, then!)

Rather than go quietly and lie down, my final question concerns the wood that's on the right as you drive from Drogheda to Clogherhead, not far out of Drogheda. I think it's called "Mile Long Wood". It looks as if someone's taken a character out of the Transformers to it - mangled trees and devastation. Anyone know what's going on, please?

Thanks everso

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Rather than go quietly and lie down, my final question concerns the wood that's on the right as you drive from Drogheda to Clogherhead, not far out of Drogheda. I think it's called "Mile Long Wood". It looks as if someone's taken a character out of the Transformers to it - mangled trees and devastation. Anyone know what's going on, please?

They've introduced a colony of beavers locally. It's probably them.

• Advertisement

mod9maple wrote: »
    They've introduced a colony of beavers locally. It's probably them.
    They are bloody big beavers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

... - mangled trees and devastation. Anyone know what's going on, please?...

Yeah, we got these new things recently... a totally new invention... never been seen before... what's this they're called? Oh, yes, I remember now... STORMS!

They are bloody big beavers!

So many inuendos...... such little time :P

Yeah, we got these new things recently... a totally new invention... never been seen before... what's this they're called? Oh, yes, I remember now... STORMS!

Check out the "storm" damage..... Looks a bit man-made to me
    ef9acd0a-1b34-4a49-ae5d-953a9673b74a.jpg

494b81e6-2bb5-4e77-879d-6aa111c336d8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

That seems to just be superficial clearing of the wood margin.

• Advertisement

That seems to just be superficial clearing of the wood margin.
    It's a very thin wood, you can see in the second picture above, it's probably only 30 metres or so deep. Here's an aerial view - the wood lies diagonally. Whatever's happened to it was pretty destructive, I'd say 70% of the trees are gone

Aerial.jpg

Coillte harvesting firewood?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 rocafella

In relation to the fishing trawlers along the beaches, you are correct this is a relatively new occurrence. The reason for it is an increase in demand for more types of shell fish. The increased demand comes from the influx of foreign nationals into the country who eat more shell fish in their diets. And as you mention they come much closer to the beach front when catching such fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

rocafella wrote: »
    In relation to the fishing trawlers along the beaches, you are correct this is a relatively new occurrence. The reason for it is an increase in demand for more types of shell fish. The increased demand comes from the influx of foreign nationals into the country who eat more shell fish in their diets. And as you mention they come much closer to the beach front when catching such fish.

They are very shell fish for eating them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭moonshadow

The fishing boats are fishing for razors (the long 1inch x 9 inch Shells) you see on the beach , a shellfish highly sought after in Japan and that's where they go.
    With regard to the mile wood as its locally called, during the recent storms trees fell on the road , the new Northern Ireland owners did as is expected and " "trimmed" the trees to reduce windage and possible tree fall , well so I'm told.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,143 ✭✭✭locum-motion

Doesn't look like "mangled trees and devastation" to me.

The bull is certainly still there......

It's no bull, there's no bull there now

Bull2.jpg

Bull1.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭kinklee7

It's a very thin wood, you can see in the second picture above, it's probably only 30 metres or so deep. Here's an aerial view - the wood lies diagonally. Whatever's happened to it was pretty destructive, I'd say 70% of the trees are gone

Aerial.jpg

Those 3 fields on the left look like electric blankets, That's all I have to say as I live in Dublin. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

the_syco wrote: »
    Well I feel thoroughly vindicated, many thanks. Great shame about the bull, tho, look forward to seeing it again

• Advertisement

You'd want to be a fair big low life to try and pull that stroke ! :(

Good spot OP ! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 51,569 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

MugMugs wrote: »
    You'd want to be a fair big low life to try and pull that stroke ! :(

Good spot OP ! :)

Didn't someone steal the kids' slides in St. Helena's Park overnight and sell them as scrap. That's pretty low.

http://www.independent.ie/regionals/argus/news/thieves-steal-playground-slides-26960682.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

That's a shame, people stealing art work for the material value!!

Speaking of being nosy, anyone know what exactly is going up the narrow lane opposite to Boyne Valley Hotel in Drogheda? For years I never even noticed it being there, but recently there were so many cars trying to turn in there and with so many trying to come out (lane is barely wide enough for one car), it caused a bit of a traffic jam on Dublin road.

PS: Just had a look at Google Maps, and looks like the lane runs along Five Oaks, all the way to Beamore Road. Strange.

I figured I'd ask this here as opposed to opening a new thread - I'm not really being nosey, I really want to know so I can use it.

Is there a outdoor gym at the Muirhevnamor park?

Load of cars in littlefuse on the echo Road. Is it reopening?

Is there a outdoor gym at the Muirhevnamor park?

Just in case anyway was interested the answer is yes. I took a dander over that way this afternoon and could see 4 apparatus. There might be more - I didn't do a full recce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭doncarlos

Just in case anyway was interested the answer is yes. I took a dander over that way this afternoon and could see 4 apparatus. There might be more - I didn't do a full recce.

Yes and surprisingly gets used. My dad walks the dog in that park and said he sees lads using it quite a bit. Mostly foreign nationals though.

positron wrote: »
    Speaking of being nosy, anyone know what exactly is going up the narrow lane opposite to Boyne Valley Hotel in Drogheda? For years I never even noticed it being there, but recently there were so many cars trying to turn in there and with so many trying to come out (lane is barely wide enough for one car), it caused a bit of a traffic jam on Dublin road.

PS: Just had a look at Google Maps, and looks like the lane runs along Five Oaks, all the way to Beamore Road. Strange.

I had five minutes to spare this morning and went down the Dublin Road to work (I wouldn't try it on a school day!)

I went down this laneway and it comes to an abrupt end after about 600m at some gates into a sports field. There's no way through as far as I can see. It wasn't a properly made up road, either, so I'm glad I have a 4x4.......

What's generating the traffic is probably a Pre-School about 100m down the lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭positron

Thanks for doing the investigative work. I now see that while looks like a thru road on Google Maps, the satellite view shows that the road / lane ends at some field like you verified.

Satellite view also gives a good perspective of the new houses at Five Oaks, and all the land the developer had planned building on IF the "boom" were to keep "boooming".

CGSf77o.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

positron wrote: »
    Thanks for doing the investigative work. I now see that while looks like a thru road on Google Maps, the satellite view shows that the road / lane ends at some field like you verified.

Satellite view also gives a good perspective of the new houses at Five Oaks, and all the land the developer had planned building on IF the "boom" were to keep "boooming".

CGSf77o.png

Also the large swathe of green that starts at the Louth/Meath border just south of Five Oaks and the small strip below right of it running down to the Southgate Roundabout is also owned by the same developer. If you zoom in you'll see the building yard dump just behind Deepforde at "Colpe View", full of cast off bits and pieces from the developments :(

Advertisement