Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So, who went to the coin fair?

Options
  • 22-02-2014 11:32pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone go to the coin fair, any nice finds? Apparently all the dealers were happy with the turnout and sales, the place emptied out before 4 O'Clock because of the match. They're expecting another busy day tomorrow. The tea seems to have improved.

I didn't buy much myself apart from the coin fair sets from the CB, I picked up a few books and these coins for a fiver each which I was told were Indian from around 400 AD, but I honestly haven't a clue what they are, I just had to buy something...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭MasterSun

I arrived there at around 11.20, the hall was already packed with people, seemed a lot busier than last year.

I bought a few silver coins as usual but what made my day was a photo in display at the Numismatic society's table. It's a pity, they didn't show the real thing, but in my opinion it was the coolest thing at the fair!

I captured it on my phone, this is the 4th 1928 re-strike set that I've ever heard of.

295376.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

That display on the Irish numismatics Society stand was very nice, I particularly liked the full colour drawings of the coin images.

I bought a coin fair set and nothing else. But the turn out was pretty good. I didn't notice anything too interesting though.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

Every year before the February fair, the society holds a display competition and the winning entry gets displayed at the fair. The winner also receives a society medal. There's not usually that many entries as I think most members have had a go at some stage by now. A theme of some sort is preferred, could be anything really. That photo may have been put in to fill a gap. I've been threatening to enter a display myself as I have a unique theme in mind which I don't think has been done before. For now though my stuff is all over the place and finding everything for it would be a nightmare. I'll get around to it some day!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 YossiA

Blade wrote: »
    Every year before the February fair, the society holds a display competition and the winning entry gets displayed at the fair. The winner also receives a society medal. There's not usually that many entries as I think most members have had a go at some stage by now. A theme of some sort is preferred, could be anything really. That photo may have been put in to fill a gap. I've been threatening to enter a display myself as I have a unique theme in mind which I don't think has been done before. For now though my stuff is all over the place and finding everything for it would be a nightmare. I'll get around to it some day!

How can you get in touch with organisers of fair?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Music Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,499 Mod ✭✭✭✭Blade

YossiA wrote: »
    How can you get in touch with organisers of fair?

Sent you a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 jamesobrienDCU

I wasn't too impressed - mostly the same dealers with the same unsold stock from last year.
    As always, Richard Walshe (from Galway) had a great selection but I was disappointed Keith Harris didn't turn up.

I wasn't too impressed - mostly the same dealers with the same unsold stock from last year.
    As always, Richard Walshe (from Galway) had a great selection but I was disappointed Keith Harris didn't turn up.

Keith hasn't come over for the last couple of years and I don't think he'll be back as he's not been well. I think he has pretty much packed it in. I think he was everyone's favourite dealer and when he stopped coming I started to get fed up going to the fairs myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

Keith hasn't come over for the last couple of years and I don't think he'll be back as he's not been well. I think he has pretty much packed it in. I think he was everyone's favourite dealer and when he stopped coming I started to get fed up going to the fairs myself.

He was at the fair in October and he was in Ireland buying just before the February fair and is supposed to be coming over next month, still going strong but the cost over coming here to sell vs selling in the UK means he will only come to one fair per year here

He was at the fair in October and he was in Ireland buying just before the February fair and is supposed to be coming over next month, still going strong but the cost over coming here to sell vs selling in the UK means he will only come to one fair per year here

Ah right, I didn't bother going in October, I probably would have gone if I'd known he was there. Actually come to think of it I've skipped the October one for a few years now, so no wonder I've not seen him. But I was told he wasn't well, hopefully he's still going strong now. I've bought so much stuff off him, total gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Anthony O Brien

Ah right, I didn't bother going in October, I probably would have gone if I'd known he was there. Actually come to think of it I've skipped the October one for a few years now, so no wonder I've not seen him. But I was told he wasn't well, hopefully he's still going strong now. I've bought so much stuff off him, total gentleman.

Its worth getting in contact with him to find out what fairs he goes to, didnt bother going to the last one because I knew he wasnt going to be there

• Advertisement
Advertisement