Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Back thinking about wheels for the e46

Options
  • 14-02-2014 11:07pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've posted this before, but funds never permitted anything happening. But now, I should be good to go soon. So currently my car looks like this:

294081.JPG

Bit of an artsy shot, but you get the idea, and I'm looking at changing the wheels. I've been thinking some BBS CH reps. Now I've found an almost identical picture with the wheels fitted. The only difference is the wheels in this pic are 19, and I want 18's:

YlPHRPs.jpg

What do yee reckon? Got quoted 870 for a set of reps, with Uniroyal rainsport 3's fitted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭ugglasdav

would look very nice, i would probably go with the 19's but, or if you do settle on the 18's maybe if you could get a set of lowering springs just to fill the archs abit

have you considered any BM wheels, CSL reps would also be a choice

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

ugglasdav wrote: »
    would look very nice, i would probably go with the 19's but, or if you do settle on the 18's maybe if you could get a set of lowering springs just to fill the archs abit

have you considered any BM wheels, CSL reps would also be a choice

Mine is already lowered on a H&R cup kit.

I have been looking at BM wheels, but struggle to find a decent set. Got very close to taking the plunge on a genuine M3 wheels, but then realised they wouldn't fit!

I'm just kind of torn at the moment with the amount of cash I'd dump into it. But it would take it to the next level in terms of looks imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i think if you think its good then its good

there were three 141's in tesco this evening all were daciac dusters

they are idiots you are not
    i hope you get my point
    do yer own well informed thing

i like those wheels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

Looks awesome.

Really work with the car and at 870 how can you go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Ciano35

Definitely a +1 on buying them, they look great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

Look great but hold out for genuine ones, do yourself and the car a favor.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Them ones really do suit the car, but I'm a sucker for the ones that are already on it. Love seeing them wheels on a bmw!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Them ones really do suit the car, but I'm a sucker for the ones that are already on it. Love seeing them wheels on a bmw!
    Cheers! But they're a very common wheel, and I'm just looking for a change really :)
    tossy wrote: »
    Look great but hold out for genuine ones, do yourself and the car a favor.

Surely there's a huge jump in cost for a decent 2nd hand set? Considering the reps fitted with a set of Uniroyal rainsport 3's for 875? And I guess we're talking lighter, better quality metal and such in terms of difference here?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,588 ✭✭✭tossy

Cheers! But they're a very common wheel, and I'm just looking for a change really :)

Surely there's a huge jump in cost for a decent 2nd hand set? Considering the reps fitted with a set of Uniroyal rainsport 3's for 875? And I guess we're talking lighter, better quality metal and such in terms of difference here?

I'm not sure about BBS in BMW fitment (as regards availability second hand) but i paid 750 euro for my BBS CKs second hand, i would expect to pay that for most of the single piece BBS wheels in 18'', you will probably need to factor in fitting tyres yourself. The thing is you could keep them for 3 or 4 years and sell them for a loss of maybe 100e max (providing the are kept in good nick)

The are lighter, stronger and just feel right on the car, i went from reps to BBS RC's on an old golf i had and the difference in the handling and steering feel of the car was vast. I've had BBS on cars for the last 8 years give or take (2 different sets) and i've never bent or buckled one.

I'm just kind of torn at the moment with the amount of cash I'd dump into it. But it would take it to the next level in terms of looks imo.

If you think it will look better, then I'd go for it. I'm sure you'll sell the older wheels anyway, to help you out with some of the cost of the new ones. So if nothing else that will alleviate your overall pocket emptiness after buying them.

However, I'm not a BMW person (I like cars in general, but dont know much about specific ones, and I'm more an SUV/Jeep fan), but I can honestly say, I'm really not seeing an €870 difference between those two pictures.

The wheels are very, very similar looking to me. Slightly wider spokes?

If it were me personally, I'd be looking for wheels that are a fair bit different to justify the purchase, or I'd be looking at just keeping the current wheels (and the €870).

But that said, I know if it was my car, and I knew the difference, then it would seem a much more reasonable purchase. It's really down to what you personally want.

For example, if i could choose (in your case) a wheel that looks like the spokes are just slightly further apart, or a week in spain, I think I'd begin to see that my money could be better spend elsewhere.

(but that said, I've no idea what kind of money you'd sell your own wheels for, so that'd obviously help balance it out, and reduce the "real" cost of the new wheels).

But I'm just rambling now... Sorry. :o

EDIT: Keep in mind I'm not at all informed about this kinda thing. I'm one of those uninformed people who feel the need to spout out their opinions anyway. :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,510 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Pics of my sons e46 with 18" ch reps on it,
    Might give you an idea as to how it would look.
    That price you got with uniroyals fitted.
    Were they new tyres?

1393729_760299783997170_1200894598_n.jpg

1384189_760299773997171_135969266_n.jpg

1395858_760299970663818_2025973039_n.jpg

Wow, that's a stunner! Yeah, that was with new tyres for that price. Granted I enquired about a non-staggered set, but those pictures you posted might make me go staggered!

If you think it will look better, then I'd go for it. I'm sure you'll sell the older wheels anyway, to help you out with some of the cost of the new ones. So if nothing else that will alleviate your overall pocket emptiness after buying them.

However, I'm not a BMW person (I like cars in general, but dont know much about specific ones, and I'm more an SUV/Jeep fan), but I can honestly say, I'm really not seeing an €870 difference between those two pictures.

The wheels are very, very similar looking to me. Slightly wider spokes?

If it were me personally, I'd be looking for wheels that are a fair bit different to justify the purchase, or I'd be looking at just keeping the current wheels (and the €870).

But that said, I know if it was my car, and I knew the difference, then it would seem a much more reasonable purchase. It's really down to what you personally want.

For example, if i could choose (in your case) a wheel that looks like the spokes are just slightly further apart, or a week in spain, I think I'd begin to see that my money could be better spend elsewhere.

(but that said, I've no idea what kind of money you'd sell your own wheels for, so that'd obviously help balance it out, and reduce the "real" cost of the new wheels).

But I'm just rambling now... Sorry. :o

EDIT: Keep in mind I'm not at all informed about this kinda thing. I'm one of those uninformed people who feel the need to spout out their opinions anyway. :P

Totally get what you're saying man.

But my wheels, (despite the pics) are actually not in great nick, and my tyres are on there way out, not the worst mind, but getting there. So this will solve that. And I love the CH look on the e46.

Cheers for the responses lads, really appreciate all the opinions!

Wow, that's a stunner! Yeah, that was with new tyres for that price. Granted I enquired about a non-staggered set, but those pictures you posted might make me go staggered!

Bloody hell
    That was a seriously cheap price.
    New ch reps and new uniroyals..!
    My son got the receipt for these when he bought the car and as far as I recall the wheels were over 700 alone.
    Oh, yes. The staggered suits them.
    I think he is talking of changing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭BillJ

That Price seems seriously good, the tyres alone that I currently have were about 700, vredestian ultrac sessantas, which would be of the same level of the uniroyals I think.

For me though you cant beat MV1's on a e46 coupe, especially the pre-facelift. CH's are lovely too. Where are you purchasing?

Was supposed to get these wheels 3 weeks ago, and have been d1cked around by the company that gave me the price with rainsports. First the wheels didn't come into stock, then a week later they did come in on a Monday, I told them I'd be out on the Saturday to get them on, then got an email late on the Friday saying the wheels were damaged. Asked them to give me a call twice, on the Monday after, and nothing.

Have been in touch with others, and most don't have them in stock, so I'm stuck. Never thought it would be this hard to drop almost a grand. Unbelievable stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,691 ✭✭✭JimmyCrackCorn

That's bad luck but I've come to the conclusion its a petrol head thing to have all estimates jump on a logarithmic scale.

I have a car in a panel beaters for two months now. Just waiting on an oem bonnet to arrive.

It'll be worth it in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

tossy wrote: »
    I'm not sure about BBS in BMW fitment (as regards availability second hand) but i paid 750 euro for my BBS CKs second hand, i would expect to pay that for most of the single piece BBS wheels in 18'', you will probably need to factor in fitting tyres yourself. The thing is you could keep them for 3 or 4 years and sell them for a loss of maybe 100e max (providing the are kept in good nick)

As always tossy, you've a very valid point... but non-staggered 225/40/18 rainsports would come to ~600 for a set inc fitting +balancing. €870 for wheels + tyres is crazy cheap.

While buy cheap buy twice always applies, in this case you'd need to buy four full sets of reps to even be in the same price region as a genuine set. And plenty of people will buy them down the line.
    Was supposed to get these wheels 3 weeks ago, and have been d1cked around by the company that gave me the price with rainsports. First the wheels didn't come into stock, then a week later they did come in on a Monday, I told them I'd be out on the Saturday to get them on, then got an email late on the Friday saying the wheels were damaged. Asked them to give me a call twice, on the Monday after, and nothing.

Have been in touch with others, and most don't have them in stock, so I'm stuck. Never thought it would be this hard to drop almost a grand. Unbelievable stuff.

*cough* name *cough* ;)

I would take it that they have realized they under priced the wheels/tyres and this is their way of trying to get out of it.

I'll PM people the name of the crowd, based in Dublin if they want to know. They have advertised on forums about their discounted Rainsports.

So should I just order some staggered real brand new BBS CK's for around 1000 quid and find tyres!

http://www.performancealloys.com/wheel-details.aspx?ID=1072

Granted they're a different wheel, very similar, but cheaper than the real CH's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I'll PM people the name of the crowd, based in Dublin if they want to know. They have advertised on forums about their discounted Rainsports.

So should I just order some staggered real brand new BBS CK's for around 1000 quid and find tyres!

Granted they're a different wheel, very similar, but cheaper than the real CH's.

I think that both the BBS CH & CK wheels look great on an E46. The 19 inch CSL wheels also suit the E46 coupe really well.

However, be very careful of buying poor quality replicas. One of my friends bought a car with BBS LM reps fitted, which were in alright condition as they were relatively new. However, within about 12 months, they became badly corroded. They weren't kerbed or mistreated, they just showed signs of corrosion in various different places on the wheels. I think that they are cheap Chinese replicas.

Can you actually get a new set of genuine BBS CK alloys for €1,000?

If it were me, I think that I would probably get a genuine set of 18 inch BBS alloys for that price... (that is if you can source them for €1,000. I thought that they were much more expensive for a genuine set?)

Any interest in my sons wheels on his E46?
    He is changing them.

I think that both the BBS CH & CK wheels look great on an E46. The 19 inch CSL wheels also suit the E46 coupe really well.

However, be very careful of buying poor quality replicas. One of my friends bought a car with BBS LM reps fitted, which were in alright condition as they were relatively new. However, within about 12 months, they became badly corroded. They weren't kerbed or mistreated, they just showed signs of corrosion in various different places on the wheels. I think that they are cheap Chinese replicas.

Can you actually get a new set of genuine BBS CK alloys for €1,000?

If it were me, I think that I would probably get a genuine set of 18 inch BBS alloys for that price... (that is if you can source them for €1,000. I thought that they were much more expensive for a genuine set?)

1060 euro for the genuine BBS CK staggered set (from the site linked above), with 8 and 8.5 widths. Then a full set of Matador tires is roughly 400 euro.

It really does probably make more sense to go with that option, at least come selling time I could sell the wheels for a reasonable amount, unlike the reps, which are worthless the second they leave the shop.

There's far too much indecision in this bloody thread...i should just order the fuckin things at this stage to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

1060 euro for the genuine BBS CK staggered set (from the site linked above), with 8 and 8.5 widths. Then a full set of Matador tires is roughly 400 euro.

It really does probably make more sense to go with that option, at least come selling time I could sell the wheels for a reasonable amount, unlike the reps, which are worthless the second they leave the shop.

Yeah, I would go with that option tbh. As one of the posters said above, the genuine wheels are lighter than the reps and will just feel right. They also make the car much more saleable when you decide to put it on the market for sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yeah, I would go with that option tbh. As one of the posters said above, the genuine wheels are lighter than the reps and will just feel right. They also make the car much more saleable when you decide to put it on the market for sale.

Actually he'd be better selling the wheels and car separate for making the most money out of it

Right lads, got paid today...so feck it. BBS CK wheels and matador tires.

Need to clarify sizing though:

18x8 ET45 Front (tires: 225/40/18)

18x8.5 ET34 Rear (tires: 235/40/18)

The guys selling the wheels say they can't be certain that the rears wont rub. But I'm finding it difficult to figure out, with widths/offset and tire size. Yer mano reckons 235 will fit, but isn't certain!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

I'd ask on an owner forum. Better chance of a definitive answer.

I'd ask on an owner forum. Better chance of a definitive answer.

Cheers, yeah I'm over on e46 fanatics asking. I'll have to wait and see if I get a response!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,866 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Cheers, yeah I'm over on e46 fanatics asking. I'll have to wait and see if I get a response!

You already have a reply from CM.

You were talking about the main motors forum, right:pac:

Advertisement