Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Real Nappy Research

Options
  • 09-01-2009 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 41

I am interested in looking at the use of real (reusable, cloth) nappies in Ireland.

As part of this I have at least a couple of areas that I would like to look at and I have no idea where to start, perhaps some of you might have some useful suggestions:
    1. Where would I get figures for the number (or weight) of disposable nappies that go to landfill each year in Ireland?
    2. Is anyone aware of any national initiatives, past or present that promote the use of reusable nappies (I know that several County Councils already promote there use locally)?

It would also be great to hear from anyone that has an interest in promoting the use of cloth nappies as an economical and environmentally friendly alternative to disposables.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

you could start here:

"The average child uses up to 5,000 nappies on his or her way to being potty trained. 4% of our waste consists of disposable nappies. Help the environment and save yourself some money - use eco-nappies for your baby".

its An Taisce and the EPA initiative at

http://www.greenhome.ie/level2.php?rid=110&cat=Waste

Perhaps contact them for the overall figures. and try the useful links section to get further contacts for info.

"Overall, the EPA estimates that three million tonnes of waste is being thrown into landfills every year", see this article and perhaps contact the author:

http://www.herald.ie/national-news/rubbish-dumps-set-to-overflow-as-waste-levels-grow-1542259.html

so 4% of three million tonnes is 120,000 tonnes per annum. Wow is that possible?!?!? I suppose that would be FULL nappies.............

Having used non-disposable napies on my two children I could give you practical information on usage, if that would help you. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 EcoBrats

Hi Oldtree,

Thanks very much for the info. I actually already use cloth nappies on my son and I have recently started up an e-commerce business selling them but I am looking into the wide-scale promotion of them, as in the UK.

I was really surprised when I came to Ireland (only a year ago, from the UK) and found that hardly anyone used non-disposables. This is in stark contrast to the UK where the market for cloth nappies has been estimated to be as much as 15% of all the children of nappy wearing age. Most councils have incentive schemes and there are literally hundreds of companies and groups involved in their promotion, retail, manufacture, laundering, etc.

When I first took my son to be weighted the district nurse thought he had his hips in plaster because it had been that long since she had seen a baby wearing a cloth nappy!

Thanks again for taking the time to reply to this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TheGrabbingHand

. Most councils have incentive schemes and there are literally hundreds of companies and groups involved in their promotion, retail, manufacture, laundering, etc.

I think you've hit the nail on the head - incentive schemes

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

You will get used to the differences in this country within a couple of years and following that you will no longer notice them, other than issues you are truly passionate about and have the stamina to keep banging your head off the wall for. :eek::rolleyes:;):):). I would call it a form of apathy.

The economies of scale are very different here being such a small country, ie no real recycling plants here and all the waste stuff was sent off to China. But not any more due to world recession and that is no longer commercially viable, so the irish answer is to store waste renewables for the forseeable future!!!!

And yes some people in this country are very orientated towards a grant and will fall over backwards to take advantage of one or to avoid a cost to themselves. They cannot be motivated without a financial reward.

The internet has made these products available for years so there is no real excuse for their non-use other than laziness and a real lack of concern for the environment.

as an example there is no real planning enforcement which allows unauthorised quarries to operate, in the full knowledge of the local planning authorities on limestone pavements (protected under 1992 eu legislation) adjacent to semi-natural woodlands, on regionally important aquifers designated as vulnerable. (sorry about the rant). Read the An Bord Pleanala boards decision for refusal and then look at the inspectors report who wanted to grant permission - See here
    http://www.pleanala.ie/casenum/228086.htm
    this page to view the council's planning file and the planning documents. Click view related documents.
    http://www.mayococo.ie/PlanSearch/mcc4/PlanningViewer/displayafile.asp?filenum=07166&la=1
    The planning authority had also refused permission. They were aware of this quarry through an enforcement complaint made in May 2005.

The first planning application for this site included pictures of limestone pavements as well as the trial hole report and percolation test report, both signed by a professional engineer, and both stating limestone pavement. Click view related documents.
    http://www.mayococo.ie/PlanSearch/mcc4/PlanningViewer/displayafile.asp?filenum=061588&la=1

Despite assurances from the council to bring about an end to this unauthorised activity, Rockbreaking continued yesterday.

Bye Bye limestone pavement.

May 2005to Dec 2008 is 3 1/2 years of allowed limestone pavement destruction. :eek:

This example puts into perspective the lip service that happens for most ecological issues here, but that should not deter you from doing what you can when you can. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 EcoBrats

Thanks very much for the responses so far.

Any advice how I can get more people interested in this area, even just contributing to discussions?

I have been really surprised to see how few people have responded to this thread and another one I posted in the Parenting forum - all suggestions welcomed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭FurBabyMomma

I'm pregnant and really not comfortable with the thoughts of the disposable nappies. Not wanting to go down the route of terrycloth either. So if someone here has advise on the best reusable or biodegradable nappies out there I'd appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

I'm pregnant and really not comfortable with the thoughts of the disposable nappies. Not wanting to go down the route of terrycloth either. So if someone here has advise on the best reusable or biodegradable nappies out there I'd appreciate it.
    I think you're better off asking such a question on the Parenting forum, rather than dragging up a five-year-old thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement