Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tvheadend settings for soarview

• 07-12-2013 12:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hey,

I want to rescan my RTÉ settings in tvheadend which is running on xbmc.
    I am unsure about :
    • FEC Hi
    • FEC Low
    • Hierarcy (although I think that is none).
    N08fles.jpg

Could someone please tell me the parameters for those?

Thanks very much:)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,679 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

These are the parameters for Saorview

Bandwidth 8 MHz
    Modulation 64QAM
    Coding Rate 2/3
    Guard Interval 1/32
    Number of Carriers 8k

Is there a 2/3 option under FEC?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭tdh

Thanks very much the Cush for the fast reply!
    Yes there is a 2/3 option, there are about 8-9 more options like 1/2 etc.

Would Number of Carriers be the same as Transmission mode?
    and would you have any idea what the coding rate would correspond to in my screenshot?

THanks alot for your input. I am testing these now!
    I had it working with the settings I linked there but the quality of RTÉ 2 HD is way inferior to the likes of BBC HD etc. so I thought I must have some settings incorrect. I mean the frame rate or something I cant put my finger on. Watching hurling on RTE makes the ball seem invisible almost

edit: although when I check the frame rate is a constant 30fps. I dont really know what i'm talking about!

The new muxes are being scanned in now and hopefully will fix all :)

Cheers:)

tdh wrote: »
    Would Number of Carriers be the same as Transmission mode?
    and would you have any idea what the coding rate would correspond to in my screenshot.

Transmission mode and number of carrier are the same.

Coding rate and FEC are also the same.

The Cush wrote: »
    Transmission mode and number of carrier are the same.

Coding rate and FEC are also the same.
    oh sweet! thanks a million! :D

Would you recommend I set FEC Hi : 2/3
    and FEC Low: None or Auto maybe?

Really appreciate your help:cool:

Would you recommend I set FEC Hi : 2/3
    and FEC Low: None or Auto maybe?

I've never used that software, best bet is to test the various options and see what works.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭Peter Rhea

. . . I had it working with the settings I linked there but the quality of RTÉ 2 HD is way inferior to the likes of BBC HD etc. so I thought I must have some settings incorrect.

The new muxes are being scanned in now and hopefully will fix all

Won't make any difference. Any problems you have with the picture quality are nothing to do with those settings.

If 'it' was actually looking for transmissions using all the parameters in your screenshot, it wouldn't find anything.

I think everything is working good now.

Those settings did work in the screenshot but the tvheadend software could of adjusted or detected them.

The only other thing I can think of as to why the quality wasn't good could be the decoding by either the usb stick or the software whatever handles it? The picture quality was great, it was HD and 1080p according to xbmc. The 19" acer tv we got in another room seemed like it was double the framerate. Only noticed it with sport. Anyways, like you say it's not the actual parameters and something with the software maybe.

Thanks alot:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Have to admit to never going near any of those settings in TVHeadend.

I use 'Add DVB Network by Location' and all is good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I use tvheadend and it scans in the muxes perfectly fine with all the parameters set to "auto" (apart from the frequency ;)).

As Peter Rhea states in his reply - none of those settings would affect the quality of your picture. They are just for tuning in the muxes and splitting out the video/audio streams.

Why are you using 30fps to view TV? TV transmissions are at 25 fps so the usual settings would be to watch at 25 or 50 fps. Same goes for old PAL DVDs. Blue Ray may be at 24 fps or you may have other video files using almost 30fps or 60fps. What player are you using - xbmc? There are settings in the System menu for the default frame rate - I use 1920x1080 @ 50p
    and the picture quality is excellent on RTE1 and RTE2 particularly when the source material is HD.

You're right fat-tony, I double checked and its set to 25fps, it never fluctuates (this is checking the video info in playback). Xbmc has video output at 1920x1080 at 60 refresh rate. I have the default settings for practically everything in xbmc.

The picture quality is great and definitely HD. It may be that the live tv software for xbmc is so new and the next version may have it sorted. There are some other issues like rewinding live tv etc.

thanks for the help.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭fat-tony

You should really set xbmc for 50Hz refresh rate unless you mostly watch U.S. movies otherwise it will try to adapt 25/50 video to 60Hz and you may see judder in fast moving action on-screen. Alternatively you can set xbmc to adapt its frame rate to match the source video. This particular setting doesn't work well for me, though as my TV pauses for a second while switching frame rates. Depends on your particular TV, though.

timeshift - pausing and rewinding live TV is a "work in progress" for tvheadend at the moment so it's flaky in operation. Up to about six months ago you couldn't even pause live tv with tvheadend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,414 ✭✭✭randombar

Hi All,

Sorry to resurrect an old one but I selected "Add DVB by location: spur hill" and it finds 56 services. Happy Days.

I then try to Map DVB services to channels and no mapping happens?

Any suggestions?

From the list I can see that I am missing RTE One as well for some reason?

Thanks,
    Gary

I think tvheadend might be set to find muxes automatically.
    I had problems with that, as it found more than the two I wanted ...... probably from another transmitter.

So I deleted the settings and reloaded the muxes by location and it went through and used the two only.

I also had to manually map one service .... in my case RTE+1, after which all was ok.

I think tvheadend might be set to find muxes automatically.
    I had problems with that, as it found more than the two I wanted ...... probably from another transmitter.

So I deleted the settings and reloaded the muxes by location and it went through and used the two only.

I also had to manually map one service .... in my case RTE+1, after which all was ok.

Can you explain the "reloaded the muxes by location" bit, did the channels map ok for you?

GaryCocs wrote: »
    Can you explain the "reloaded the muxes by location" bit, did the channels map ok for you?

1. I deleted the existing muxes for the tuner;
    2. then added muxes - Add DVD Network by Location;
    3. chose my local transmitter from the list for Ireland;
    4. made sure that autodetect muxes was unticked;
    5. Enabled the tuner (top tick box)
    6. and Saved the settings (bottom of page)

41 services were found.
    After it had completed searching for services/channels the
    Map DVB services to channels
    button becomes available and I selected it.

The channels are then seen in
    Channel/EPG

The unwanted ones can be deleted.
    If you are missing one then go back to DVb Inputs - Services tab and select the missing one and map it manually.

You should now have the full compliment of channels.

Hi All,

Just back to all of this now and noticed Ireland is gone from the locations in TVHeadend for some reason.

Anyone have a dump/config file to get them back in?

// Gary

Hi All,

Just back to all of this now and noticed Ireland is gone from the locations in TVHeadend for some reason.

Anyone have a dump/config file to get them back in?

// Gary

Maybe reinstall it ..... have not seen the problem here.
    tvheadend -v
    tvheadend: version 4.0.4

I'm on an older version 3.4.28 all right, any idea how to update rather than uninstall/install?

I'm on an older version 3.4.28 all right, any idea how to update rather than uninstall/install?

That usually depends on the operating system you are using ;)

If Linux then an update should be provided by the distro's repository.

That usually depends on the operating system you are using ;)

If Linux then an update should be provided by the distro's repository.

Jesus sorry. But sleepy today. Ubuntu so I figured apt get update or something would do it but no joy yet

• Advertisement

Jesus sorry. But sleepy today. Ubuntu so I figured apt get update or something would do it but no joy yet

Can you not just reinstall using the package manager if there is no update available?

Else this might be of interest

https://tvheadend.org/projects/tvheadend/wiki/AptRepository

Can you not just reinstall using the package manager if there is no update available?

Else this might be of interest

https://tvheadend.org/projects/tvheadend/wiki/AptRepository

So I removed and installed again (all settings stayed, happy days) only problem is it wasn't the newer version.

Then I saw the line on the site:
    Add Bintray's GPG key:
    sudo apt-key adv --keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 --recv-keys 379CE192D401AB61

Upgraded and found my problem.

My tbs dvb-t card was installed as a dvb-C card for some bizarre reason, install guide is a bit funny.

So working away as we speak. Thanks for all the help.

One thing I've noticed is there's no "signal" page like the 3.x version

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I have a Wetek openelec and everything has configured okay, networks etc. but there is no tv adapter showing up in tvheadend configuration screen, the folder won't expand. Any ideas?

I have a Wetek openelec and everything has configured okay, networks etc. but there is no tv adapter showing up in tvheadend configuration screen, the folder won't expand. Any ideas?

Maybe there is an update FILE available here

http://openelec.tv/get-openelec

It might set things right ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭ondafly

Would appreciate some help on TvHeadend with a Raspberry Pi + Hauppage Nova-T usb stick.

I have everything setup - however I am unable to get any channels scanned from the muxes. I selected Kippure for the network as it is the nearest, it creates 2 muxes (738Mhz & 770Mhz).

I set them to scan and they come back with scan result fail. When they do appear briefly on the status page I can see the signal strength column reading -115% <-> -120% ; however the antenna I am using is normally connected to my TV and has no problem being up the Saorview channels.

Any ideas or suggestions ?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭PabloAndRoy

ondafly wrote: »
    Would appreciate some help on TvHeadend with a Raspberry Pi + Hauppage Nova-T usb stick.

I have everything setup - however I am unable to get any channels scanned from the muxes. I selected Kippure for the network as it is the nearest, it creates 2 muxes (738Mhz & 770Mhz).

I set them to scan and they come back with scan result fail. When they do appear briefly on the status page I can see the signal strength column reading -115% <-> -120% ; however the antenna I am using is normally connected to my TV and has no problem being up the Saorview channels.

Any ideas or suggestions ?

Thanks

My guess is that while the stick is being recognised the firmware is not being loaded correctly. if you log in to the machine and run dmesg you can see what is happening...

Are you running openelec or raspbian?

If you are running raspbian, I believe you will need to ensure that you have the correct firmware in /lib/firmware/

looks like you need this file: dvb-usb-dib0700-1.20.fw
    (source https://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/DVB-T_USB_Devices)

You can get that firware file form openelec git repository here:
    https://github.com/OpenELEC/dvb-firmware/blob/master/firmware/dvb-usb-dib0700-1.20.fw

... if you are running openlec only, then the firmware should be already installed and i really don't know what the problem could be.

Hope that helps

Thanks Pablo - I actually have 2 SD cards, so one was running OSMC and I had to download the firmware for the stick before it was recognised in Tvheadend, the other card is running OpenElec and that seemed to detect the card straight away.

I'll take a look at dmesg and see if theres something obvious. Perhaps the stick itself is fubar :)

i look to have this working now - i ended up using a powered usb hub for the dvb-t tuner and not relying on the Pi's power to run it. so far so good.

Advertisement