Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE/BBC on Skygo?

• 26-06-2015 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 985 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Is RTE or BBC available on Skygo nowadays? Can't seem to find any recent threads on this.

Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

APM wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Is RTE or BBC available on Skygo nowadays? Can't seem to find any recent threads on this.

Thanks

bbctv not available in ireland

rtetv is not available on skygo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Better off using the rte player.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

AFAIK BBC is not available on Sky Go even within the UK.

Channel 4 is only UK terrestrial available to Irish Sky Go viewers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭homingbird

Kodi is better you should try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭ei9go

Install "Live Tv" into windows 8.1 and you can watch all BBC channels and even a couple of the Freeview channels not available on Freesat. Yesterday, Quest dave & Really

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭aphex™

They don't even have Sky 1 on it AFAIK.
    Pathetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

aphex™ wrote: »
    Pathetic.

Yes they do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,807 ✭✭✭lertsnim

aphex™ wrote: »
    Pathetic.

Have you actually used Sky Go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,558 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

filmon.tv you can watch almost all UK free TV, not geo locked either AFAIK

We might not talk about sites that are streaming without the BBC's permission. I know some people think it is different because it is an FTA channel but it really isn't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭ei9go

Sorry, I assumed that the Live TV app was not steaming without permission because it looks and works so well and with excellent picture quality.

In passing, I was using a Three Ireland myfi in the UK recently using their roam like home service.

I tried to connect to the BBC iPlayer and was told that I was outside the UK even though I was not and RTE seemed happy that I was in Ireland and would play any TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

ei9go wrote: »
    I was using a Three Ireland myfi in the UK recently using their roam like home service.

I tried to connect to the BBC iPlayer and was told that I was outside the UK even though I was not and RTE seemed happy that I was in Ireland and would play any TV.

Because Internet Geoblock is nothing to do with PHYSICALLY where you are, but who is the manager (ISP) of the IP address you access the server with.

Clue in name. Three Ireland, roam like home.

Nothing odd about it at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

What's the official situation with film on? Are BBC in the know ( and happy) about it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭ftakeith

What's the official situation with film on? Are BBC in the know ( and happy) about it?

film on is illegal and the bbc are not happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭B17G

Sky Go monthly ticket service has finished it seems. Is this in the UK only or has it ended in the RoI too?

http://help.sky.com/articles/watch-sky-online-without-a-subscription?country=ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,309 ✭✭✭✭muffler

B17G wrote: »
    Sky Go monthly ticket service has finished it seems. Is this in the UK only or has it ended in the RoI too?

http://help.sky.com/articles/watch-sky-online-without-a-subscription?country=ie
    See this thread in the Sky "talk to" forum

Cheers. The OP appears to be in a bit of a pickle going by the Sky reps reply to him. Why won't Sky launch NOW TV here? Theres a Sky Sports only option starting next month on it in the UK for £31.99 per month. Already a movies option currently available for £9.99 a month. RoI subscribers really do get the sh*tty end of the stick as regards value for money compared to the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,309 ✭✭✭✭muffler

B17G wrote: »
    RoI subscribers really do get the sh*tty end of the stick as regards value for money compared to the UK.
    Couldn't agree more :mad:

muffler wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more :mad:

Yip. As regards losing the Sky Go monthly ticket option, if you read the NOW TV FAQs the advice is to switch to NOW TV to continuing viewing. An option denied to RoI viewers. Why won't they launch it here I wonder?

http://help.nowtv.com/article/Sky-Go-Monthly-Ticket-to-NOW-TV-FAQs

My view FWIW is that they don't think they need to. In the UK, the percentage of pay-TV "refuseniks" is far higher (helped by the fact that Freeview is a better alternative to pay-TV in the UK than Saorview is here). Now TV is designed as a "gateway" service to get people who don't want to commit to a twelve month contract to taste what pay TV has to offer. Contrast this with here where pay-TV has a 70% take up (rising to over 90% in parts of Dublin). Sky don't need Now TV in Ireland to convince people of the merits of pay TV. Rather, their battle is to convince cable customers who are already paying to give their money to Sky instead. I am not sure why cable is not an option for that OP: there would be relatively few appartment blocks where there is neither cable nor Communal Sky.

• Advertisement

I'm wondering though with the better availability of high speed broadband would many see Now Tv as a gateway option? The new Sky Sports only no contract plan will be launching next month for £31.99 per month as opposed to £45.50 pm and a 12 month contract via a dish. It's a considerable saving. The movies option is available at £9.99 pm.

Advertisement