Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Man used hired digger to steal part of railway tracks

• 03-07-2014 8:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭

From the irish independant - link

A man hired a digger, lowloader and a tractor before stripping the disused Claremorris to Collooney railway line in the west of Ireland of 117 metres of iron track, a court heard. Christopher Burke (49), with an address at Sarsfield Crescent, Charlestown, Co Mayo, had earlier pleaded guilty to the theft of 18 steel railway lines, valued at €8,957 at Carrowreagh, Kiltimagh, in September 2012.

He also pleaded guilty to causing €30,000 of damage to the rail line and a fence.

Sergeant Tom McIntyre told Judge Rory MacCabe at the Circuit Criminal Court in Castlebar that gardai were alerted by a member of the public about activity on the railway. In total 117 metres of track had been removed, the witness said.

Christopher Burke, who was on the scene when Sergeant McIntyre arrived to investigate, admitted his involvement.

A second man on the scene proclaimed his innocence of any criminal activity. He was subsequently charged with theft and criminal damage but was acquitted on both charges by a jury last week.

Judge MacCabe imposed a three-year prison sentence – suspended provided that Burke pay €5,000 compensation to the rail company within six months.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

€30,000 damage to the Burma Rd? lol just lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭tipptom

He caused 30 grands worth of damage,stole 8 grands worth of track and gets away with a suspended sentence and only has to pay 5 grand with 6 months to pay it.

Who pays for the 30 grands worth of damage considering this is a public company losing money hand over fist?.
    Kinda answering my own question really huh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,527 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Fair play to the member of the public who reported it, a lot of people wouldn't look twice at someone 'helping themselves'.

Of course if the powers that be woke up to metal theft and regulating the scrap dealers, we wouldn't have this problem.

Have to lol at the link, track stolen from Burma Rd...pic is of Victoria Station London....which is relevant to article because....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

tipptom wrote: »
    He caused 30 grands worth of damage,stole 8 grands worth of track and gets away with a suspended sentence and only has to pay 5 grand with 6 months to pay it.

Who pays for the 30 grands worth of damage considering this is a public company losing money hand over fist?.
    Kinda answering my own question really huh.

A more apt condition in sentencing would have been requesting this guilty gentleman to pay the costs incurred in replacing the stolen track panels.

• Advertisement

A more apt condition in sentencing would have been requesting this guilty gentleman to pay the costs incurred in replacing the stolen track panels.

Like that's ever going to happen, ah shure God love him, probably has kiddywinks and all. *cue sad violin music*

what for? never going to be needed

corktina wrote: »

Wether the line is used or not isn't relevant here; costs here need to be higher to teach him a lesson that stealing and damaging property won't be tolerated by the State. Courts orders for costs of €5,000 towards damages that costs €30,000 to make good is a pittance.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭metrovick001

According to who?

me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Copyerselveson

The real weakness here is the sentencing policy or lack of it by the courts. Seems to me that judges are often swayed by sad sack performances by the accused in the dock and are then inclined to give over-lenient sentences and a requirement for the accused to stick a few bob in the poor box.

As Losty says, the damage isn't just the lifting of the rails it's the whole track panels that will need replacing, regardless of whether the line is in use or not. €5,000 would not cover the real cost of this particular theft.

Ahh thats ok so, nothing to worry about.
    me

you worry that the Burma Road may not re-open one day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Anybody seen westtip? :D

unavoidably detained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

What this highlights is that how much money CIE is leaving rusting in the ground (allowing for scrap vs replacement value). Lift the whole goddamned thing, at least north of Claremorris, and use the cash to close a couple of dangerous LCs or something.

the damage isn't just the lifting of the rails it's the whole track panels that will need replacing, regardless of whether the line is in use or not. €5,000 would not cover the real cost of this particular theft.
    perhaps his Honour thought IE wouldn't be in any rush reinstating the panels, instead letting the 5 grand rest in their account?

dowlingm wrote: »
    What this highlights is that how much money CIE is leaving rusting in the ground (allowing for scrap vs replacement value). Lift the whole goddamned thing, at least north of Claremorris, and use the cash to close a couple of dangerous LCs or something.

probably al the scrap value would be eaten away by the cost of lifting

that fella seemed to think he could make the numbers work :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Banjoxed

that fella seemed to think he could make the numbers work :D

Interesting that you find the theft amusing.

• Advertisement

T'aint gonna happen.
    Too much political dynamite there, the phones will be hopping from rail supporters thinking they're being sidelined (pardon the pun)

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Interesting that you find the theft amusing.
    There is nothing in the original article that is "amusing" per se. I was merely replying to the notion that there was unlikely to be a net positive return from lifting the tracks. Clearly a proper disposal starting with a tender and including safe disposal of the sleepe... LOOK YOU'VE TAKEN THE GOOD OUT OF IT ARE YOU HAPPY NOW, YA KILLJOY YA?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,162 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

no he'd just be paying the cost of the work as punishment for being a little thief, should have thrown away the key

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,162 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

didn't seem to matter back in the 60s when they ripped up lines left right and centre, probably cost them more then they got

I'm very highly educated. I know words, i have the best words, nobody has better words then me.

didn't seem to matter back in the 60s when they ripped up lines left right and centre, probably cost them more then they got

Different times, throwing any babies out with the bathwater didn't seem to matter. That was the remit that Andrews got, modernise and turn the company around no matter by what means...motor transport was king, railways were 19th cent old hat...worse still they were built by the 'auld enemy', had to rip them up before the few concerned locals that could be bothered could organise themselves to mount a challenge.

There is nothing in the original article that is "amusing" per se. I was merely replying to the notion that there was unlikely to be a net positive return from lifting the tracks. Clearly a proper disposal starting with a tender and including safe disposal of the sleepe... LOOK YOU'VE TAKEN THE GOOD OUT OF IT ARE YOU HAPPY NOW, YA KILLJOY YA?

Well don't let me wreck your buzz.

Funny that these tracks must be left in situ but North Esk just got lifted :rolleyes:

except the likelihood is he can't pay that, will end up in prison at which time IE gets nowt and the State pays a fortune to warehouse him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,882 ✭✭✭SeanW

except the likelihood is he can't pay that, will end up in prison at which time IE gets nowt and the State pays a fortune to warehouse him.
    Yes, that's what happens - you commit crime, you go to jail.

• Advertisement

SeanW wrote: »
    Yes, that's what happens - you commit crime, you go to jail.
    I would prefer a system where you commit crime and you get punishment which doesn't cause more problems than it solves. In this example, if this person was imprisoned then the taxpayer is punished on the double, since a State company has had nominal assets damaged without compensation and the State itself must pay for imprisonment.

Better to remove the market for such theft by making it clearer to scrap merchants that failure to verify the bona files of railway debris they receive will be an expensive error. But we shouldn't also pretend that in order for IE to run trains again that that panel wouldn't probably have been ripped and replaced, making its current value only that of a scrap scenario anyway, leaving the issue more about deterrence than restitution. To my mind, this was reflected by the beak imposing a prison sentence based on nominal value of replaced panels to stop people hacking at active or temporarily dormant lines, but a fine which reflected the actual loss to the railway at this point in time.

Better to remove the market for such theft by making it clearer to scrap merchants that failure to verify the bona files of railway debris they receive will be an expensive error

No.
    Not good enough. End cash in hand payments.

I would prefer a system where you commit crime and you get punishment which doesn't cause more problems than it solves. In this example, if this person was imprisoned then the taxpayer is punished on the double, since a State company has had nominal assets damaged without compensation and the State itself must pay for imprisonment..

When you go around stealing and causing €30,000 worth of damage to somebody elses property you'd expect a lot more than the option of €5,000 to be offered up in lieu. To the dishonest scrapman it just screams steal me as the odds are most definitely in your favour.

Isn't that Ireland in a nutshell?
    When you go around stealing and causing €30,000 worth of damage to somebody elses property you'd expect a lot more than the option of €5,000 to be offered up in lieu. To the dishonest scrapman it just screams steal me as the odds are most definitely in your favour.

Surely the calculation is scrap price vs likely restitution? It may be 30k to IE but surely that's not what you clear for the hot rails?

Surely the calculation is scrap price vs likely restitution? It may be 30k to IE but surely that's not what you clear for the hot rails?

If you crash into a car, your insurance pays for the cost of making good the costs caused by the crash and not just the damage to your car. Similarly here, there are more costs to make good the damage caused than just the residual scrap price of the rails and sleepers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

If you crash into a car, your insurance pays for the cost of making good the costs caused by the crash and not just the damage to your car. Similarly here, there are more costs to make good the damage caused than just the residual scrap price of the rails and sleepers.

Are you implying that IE will actually replace the rails and sleepers? :D

Are you implying that IE will actually replace the rails and sleepers? :D

Are you implying that they don't need replacing? :D

Replace a few isolated stretches of track whilst leaving the rest of it unusable anyway.
    Makes perfect sense.

Replace a few isolated stretches of track whilst leaving the rest of it unusable anyway.
    Makes perfect sense.

Make the tealeaf rebuild the whole lot. That's what I call restorative justice ;)

And it will annoy the road lobby no end. Win win :D

Note for the ironically challenged: The above is not to be taken entirely seriously.

Banjoxed wrote: »
    Make the tealeaf rebuild the whole lot. That's what I call restorative justice ;)

And it will annoy the road lobby no end. Win win :D

Note for the ironically challenged: The above is not to be taken entirely seriously.

Anybody who'd take it seriously is a right Coo-looney :pac:

• Advertisement

If you crash into a car, your insurance pays for the cost of making good the costs caused by the crash and not just the damage to your car.
    I agree, but this isn't an insurance policy where you pay for that coverage. I'm not a legal beagle but I think a judge might have a problem with IE seeking the track section to be, to all intents and purposes, restored to a better state than it was found in with all their costs covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭pavb2

Pity about all them disused railway lines they should turn them all in to cycle paths I think this already been done in Mayo Achill island if memory serves.

So proper punishment would be for this man to work on this project after all he is already familiar with diggers and railway removal equipment. Then let's take this a step further and get all the other offenders to chip in and give something back to society. Like a 21st century chain gang.

But never going to happen is it.?Apart from someone actually having the will to do it, going to be too many obstacles

Insurance, Human rights. Doing people out of a job Etc etc etc

I think we've seen with Job Bridge how Ireland can take a notionally good idea and utterly tear the @rse out of it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Put him in the labour camp til he generates 38000 net.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,618 ✭✭✭The Diabolical Monocle

Put him in the labour camp til he generates 38000 net.

Advertisement