Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

15W feeds

Options
  • 12-12-2005 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

This is for the lads with the motorised dishes. Im having real trouble trying to lock onto DAD6 which was the fta cnbc feed and the CNN USA feed which is/was part of the eucom package.
    Is it me or has both those transponders dropped in erp considerably. Im in central europe and the signal is usually high enough on my 1.2m dish.
    Incidentally all other transponders appear full scale in terms of signal.

Any help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

What settings DAD-6?
    Last I looked DAD1 had become DAD2 with stronger signal and DAD5 was encrypted.

There is a FTA Reality TV CE and sound on some of the other encrypted channels.

Actualy I have a fixed dish on PC and motorised for Palcom DSL4 FTA box for Telstar12

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

My dreambox cant lock onto them at all as usual, it really hates some SR. Must hook up the technomate and have a look later.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Hi,
    DAD2 turned into DAD6 ident, its the 11530 ish freq,3198sr and so on. DAD5 is strong alright but encoded.Receiver is a dbox2 (ex premier world) with dreambox software and like Ronanraven, its hates locking up on low SR. But 3198 is doable. Just signal has dropped into oblivion.
    I saw Reality Tv alright, not much else open on that bird tho, unlike the old days... Maby I should dig out my nokia 9200 that handles low SR and have another poke.
    I assume nobody is getting the CNN USA feed? No sign of it here so far...

What size dish are ye using? 1.1metre?

I have an old 1.5 metre (channel master I think) here somewhere-would that make a significant improvement?
    I'd be interested in the CNN US feed-though I'd have to get the rest of the equipment.
    I presume 15 west is an easier bird to get in Ireland?
    Also is the CNN feed 24/7? but just on a reduced power/footprint now?

• Advertisement

I still get the SR 1500 DAD2 today.. Only 80cm dish.

I find the ProgDVB rotten at low SR. The PALcom DSL4 picture "jitters" occasionally if the frequency entered (or SR) is not quite right on the LOW SR channels. If it jitters readding the transponder +/- 2MHz and reselecting cures it. I suspect DAD1/DAD2 is not always at exactly the same frequency or power as I have seen if breakup in a clear sky and totally solid perfect reception in heavy rain (and vice versa).

I mostly get good reception of Telstar12 @15 west with a 80cm dish sold by Lidl with analog sat and the cheap Philips LNB that came with it. This feeds the fourth port on my 4 -way "Global" diseqc swithc on PC card (the other 3 ports connect to a quad LNB for Sky and two cheap LNBs for Astr & Hotbird all on a single old "Sky analog" 80cm/90cm dish.).

The motorised (ex Lidl Analog 80cm system) dish gets similar signal of Telstar12 for the Palcom DSL4.

There is a SR of 1000 I think 36E as a test for low SR reception. My 36E reception isn't great so no surprise I can't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

1.5m: 3.14*(.75^2) = 1.77m^2

1.1m: 3.14*(.55^2) = 0.95m^2

(assuming spherical dishes for ease of calculation)

1.77/0.95 = 1.86 times bigger in terms of surface area. That should make a fair difference.

Inability to lock low SRs is as much to do with receiver innards as it is strength of signal. Certain revisions of the Skystar 1 DVB cards are notoriously bad at locking low SRs.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭telecinesk

Looking at the info here it seems to me my tuner has issues with the SR rather than the signal from 15w. I have a 1.2m dish so Id "hope" enough gain over here. Think its a case of nokia9200 for further investigation..
    As for CNN USA, yes it "was" supposidly clear and the Airscan clocks visible too last month, but I dont even see the carrier as it is.
    Take a look at Dr Hans site, it mentions this.

Sometimes I have to delete the channel for a rescan to work. though usually the Palcom DSL4 automatically picks up PID VID AID changes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,141 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Well after plugging in the technomate I am getting so much more on 15west, I am able to lock onto 12546 H 15000 2/3 Which has the cnn usa path. Will try the DAD freqs next.

• Advertisement
Advertisement