Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Turksat 1C

• 11-12-2005 7:10pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭

Not entirely sure if this is allowed....
    Anyway, on Turksat 1c 42e, on channel TV8, you could have watched Man Utd v Everton today.

Apart from the commentary being in Turkish, it was perfect (apart form the result).

I use a 80cm dish and quality and strength were excellent. I know it is a bit late, but hey, there is more premiership next week, maybe it will also be on FTA.

MJ

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Of course this is allowed... as this channel is FTA.

Yes, TV8 is FTA, and it has Premiership games.

http://knplogic.com/sport/index.html for all your needs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

mjsmyth wrote:
    Not entirely sure if this is allowed....
    Anyway, on Turksat 1c 42e, on channel TV8, you could have watched Man Utd v Everton today.

Apart from the commentary being in Turkish, it was perfect (apart form the result).

I use a 80cm dish and quality and strength were excellent. I know it is a bit late, but hey, there is more premiership next week, maybe it will also be on FTA.

MJ
    tbh they have been showing games for a long time but it is handy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wolfe25

mjsmyth wrote:

MJ

Also showing live Spurs/P'mouth tomorrow evening and Man U/Wigan on wed..
    See here for further fixtures: http://knplogic.com/sport/index.html
    Can't see SKY been too happy with this continuing.
    As you say it can be picked up easily with an 80cm dish.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Ulsterman 1690

Can't see SKY been too happy with this continuing

1) Let them eat cake
    2) As long as its only really available to enthusiasts with motorised/multi-LNB systems I cant see them losing much sleep over it

Lets face it for your average punter satellite = $ky and for the forseeable future thats the way it will be

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Bucket loads of channels at 42E very strong.
    Watched Zorba the Greek in English with Turkish subtitles one night. (Turks laughing at Greeks or massochism?)

• Advertisement

They had Discovery Turkey with English under the French Audio setting for weeks an d then it switched to East beam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭mjsmyth

Hi Watty,
    I went to Lyngsat and took a look at 42e, there are a huge amount of transponders, I'm too lazy to add them all in. any idea which channels I should bother with?

Thanks,
    MJ

Depends what you are interested in.

But if your box has a Network transponder search, one or two of the right one will give nearly the whole list. I'll check which it is tomorrow.

Waht are you interested in?

There is Sport, Pop Music (Our own Corrs featured on one channel!), and lots of incomprehensible programs unless you have Turkish.

Some feeds.

Someties movies with English

Hi Watty,
    I would mainly be interested in sport, Football, Motor sport..... If there was a decent movie channel too that would be great :)

MJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

whats the angle of elevation for this satellite because my edision reciever says its below the horizon but a different website (with elevation calculator) says its about 15 degrees. I want to have it set up for the man utd match tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Zaphod

14-15 degrees is right.

According to free download from www.smw.se
    15 deg elevation
    123.5 deg Azimuth
    For 42E

This is for Limerickish (52N, 8W). It depends where you are. You need to but your own location into any calculation program

The signal is fairly strong.

As long as nothing is in the way of LOS (line of Sight), down to 10 degrees elevation works. Below that the "Earth" thermal noise and manmade noise is too high. Unless you are on a mountain peak in middle of nowhere.

I would love to offer som info on elevation/inclination, but all I did was set my dish up to pick up astra 2, then let the motor handle everything else..........

All I know is that when I am watching Turksat, my dish is at one hell of an angle!

MJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

when i was watching that sat it looked like it pointing into the ground

Because of the offset feed (if you like a chunk cut out of top part of a larger "vrirtual" dish), the dish appear to stand vertical when elevation is nearly 25 degrees.

The further west in Ireland the lower the elevation! It would look less scary in Wexford than Arrann!

I must take a pic of my dish pointing at 42e and post it here.......

off_dish.jpg

A picture worth 1024 words. Are you joining the Editors, Zaphod? PM me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,483 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Zaphod wrote:
    off_dish.jpg

Thats excellant, never thought of it that way..explains actually a couple of problems I couldnt explain on certain sats that i thought had perfect line of sight!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Kinda linked to my original post....
    So it was Man Utd v Wigan tonight, excellent pic and so on.... I figured I would try to get 5 live on the web, no dice, they can't broadcast tonights game for some reason.

I tune it in on the stereo, not too bad, but fades in and out too much for my liking.

Anyone know of an internal qulaity AM aerial? Does such a thing exist?

Thanks,
    MJ

• Advertisement

Yes.

wind about ten turns of any kind of wire (fine insulated bell wire iis OK) on an old picture frame. (In the 1930s they sold actual aerials disguised as pictures).

Connect to aerial and earth of Radio AM contacts.

If you want aerial in attic to reduce noise, use TV coax.

If the radio has no external aerial connections do this:

Make sure unplugged.

Wind about 5 turns wire around blank part of internal ferrite aerial. It is the dark grey rod with eithe one coil (MW only radio) or one at each end (MW + LW). It is usually standing parallel to the radio circuit board on a palstic pillar. Roughtly about thickness of pencil to small finger. On cheap radio may be 1/8" (3mm) by 1/2" (12mm) rectangular cross-section or round, and only about 2" (5cm) long. On better radios it is thicker and up to 4" (100mm) long.

Connect the two ends outside the case to your homemade aerial with screw terminal block.

Mount aerial vertically and rotate either for least interference or max signal, which ever sounds better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

5 Live online have UK-only web rights to the Premiership.

A second digibox/FTA reciever hooked up to an amp would help here (even a Sky Gnome!), so you can receive 5 Live, but I'm thinking the delay in commentary could be more than a couple of seconds. (ie 5 Live ahead of TV8)

I can cope with the second or so delay that seems to be there, granted my turkish is getting better :)

Watty, I will give that a try at the weekend, my stereo/hifi/whateher they are called these days, does indeed have an external am aerial connection. Thanks for the info.

MJ

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭kkennedy

What would the minimum size dish required? I have the Lidl setup, 57cm dish, but cannot get a signal at all. The LNB has 'universal' written on it. Does this mean it will receive KU Band?
    Thanks
    K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭Pal

depends on your location.

80cm minimum.

http://www.delayplayradio.com/
    should do the trick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Be forewarned about TV8 not all the games are FTA, they usually switch in BISS during the saturday 3pm games.

Hi Ronan, thats what I thought, the last time I tried to watch games (sept) they were encrypted, but..

Saturday - Man Utd v Everton was FTA
    Monday - Spurs v Portsmouth was FTA (delayed by about 30min)
    Wednesday - Man Utd v Wigan - FTA

Obviously this is great, if they start encoding in biss again, well so be it, but I will take what I can get at the moment.

By the way, just what the hell is Biss????

MJ

mjsmyth wrote:
    By the way, just what the hell is Biss????

MJ

can't tell you :D

only kidding.

it's an encryption system.

• Advertisement

hehe, I knew it was, but I was wondering how something could be FTA (BISS) as reported on LJ's Football site.

MJ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

usually on LJ'S when they list it as that it means usually FTA but they do also encrypt it as well in the (insert encryption name here).

Here is a link to a pdf explaining it in more detail. www.scientificatlanta.com/products/customers/white-papers/BISS.pdf

Thanks,

MJ

I watched the man utd versus wigan last night on TV8 with the commentary from dublins newstalk106 on the radio.The commentary was only about half a second ahead of the play. It sure beats payin over $50 per month for sky sports. Now hopefully the man u match and the chelsea v arsenal will be fta this weekend.

You can delay audio by feeding it through an Audio DSP program on the PC.

Listem on PC Speakers.

Free Sw is available.

thanks Watty, as it happens, I have a PC under the telly! Mr. bin, thanks for the tip on Newstalk, do they always have midweek soccer on their show? If so, does it always match the live game on sky?

Thanks,
    MJ

• Advertisement

Im not sure about newstalk schedule but their match commentary is the exact same as if you tuned into bbc5 live. You will often here the commentators on newstalk say "welcome to the game here tonight live on five"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,489 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Red Line points at Satellite
    dishoffsetnormal0ta.jpg
    Normal Dish
    ================================================

dishoffsetreverse3ix.jpg
    This way if you want to hide it behind balcony or reduce wind loading,
    but you have more problems with rain.
    ================================================

dishoffsethorizontal1bs.jpg
    This is one way of using an offset dish for horizontal signals for WiFi etc.

Disk positioning
    http://www.al-soft.com/saa/satinfo.shtml - sat alignment calculation program ( haven't tried it)

http://www.doom9.org/DigiTV/dbox-positioning.htm - a motor gives you a semi-circular arc, but because we are not at the earths centre the satelites aren't on this arc - comparison of the arc's
    pointing3.gif

http://www.adventistsat.com/technical-corner-1.asp - US site but some useful info on DIY install grounding, drip loop and installing a pole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭wolfe25

Nice bits of info there, Cap'n, thanks.
    Oh and the installation for a balcony could also double for a bird bath. nice.

http://www.doom9.org/DigiTV/dbox-positioning.htm - a motor gives you a semi-circular arc, but because we are not at the earths centre the satelites aren't on this arc - comparison of the arc's
    pointing3.gif

That's likely the result of an incorrect declination angle and has more to do with the curvature of the earth and latitudinal location, than distance from earth's core.

Table.jpg

The fact that we live on the earth's crust, rather than in the core, means that sats appear further apart than they are e.g. Hotbird and Astra 1x appear further apart than 3 degrees.

Advertisement