Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

delay with SKY cards?

Options
  • 09-12-2005 2:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing postal delays from SKY?

I ordered Sky through a local independent installer 2 weeks ago, and I still have not recieved my sky card in the post.
    I contacted Sky myself lastnight and eventually got through to someone who assured me that it was posted to my home address on 1st December - just a week ago. I'm wondering at this stage is it lost in the post or is there still a chance it might show up?! If I ask them to send a new one, it means they have to cancel the 1st one. Xmas is approaching and at this rate, I won't have it in time for Xmas '06!

Joe.

UPDATE: I contacted An Post, and they tell me Royal Mail have had delays this week. So fingers crossed, it may yet arrive...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭higster

I thought cards were being posted to instaler vs. customer in ROI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭Darth Maul

higster wrote:
    I thought cards were being posted to instaler vs. customer in ROI?

Only when using the official sky installer... he is using an independant installer.

YEAH OP I can confirm that post from the UK is taking an extraordinary amount of time lately... from looking at tracking info on some it seems to be held up in UK mostly..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭clarkbelt

Darth Maul wrote:
    Only when using the official sky installer... he is using an independant installer.

Sky are also dispatching viewing cards directly to independants . But being Sky they can't even manage that , some cards are still going to customers .

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I work for an indy retailer, and never has a Sky viewing card been sent directly to us. Maybe it's just for retailers who install many more systems than others. We don't do many Sky installs anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,325 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I've never had a card sent to me save for the very old analogue days.

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28 joeL

Card arrived in post yesterday! So 12 days to recieve a delivery from the UK, I'd nearly have walked over there and collected it myself in that length of time...

byte wrote:
    We don't do many Sky installs anymore.

Dont blame you :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 79 ✭✭strettie

Its 13 days for me and no sign of cards. Sky have confirmed they were posted.

:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,132 ✭✭✭beer enigma

We booked a sky install direct with SKY for the in(out)laws two weeks ago & have been chasing the card ever since.......

Sky installer turned up yesterday...(on time :eek: ) and had the card with him ! - shame nobody told the support guys at sky, would have saved me a dozen phone calls.......delighted to get the system in within 14 days though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

Does the decryption process actually add any [noticable] latency to the data being transmitted?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

ethernet wrote:
    Does the decryption process actually add any [noticable] latency to the data being transmitted?

Yes, theres abouta second at each end (Encryption/decryption). Compare the time lag on the BBC off-air to on satellite and Channel 4 off-air to on Sky to see the difference.

MYOB wrote:
    Yes, theres abouta second at each end (Encryption/decryption). Compare the time lag on the BBC off-air to on satellite and Channel 4 off-air to on Sky to see the difference.

would not the time lag also be affected by the difference in distance travelled between the two types of transmissions? ie terrestrial v satellite?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tony wrote:
    would not the time lag also be affected by the difference in distance travelled between the two types of transmissions? ie terrestrial v satellite?

I know. Thats why I said to compare the BBC's off air time to satellite time and then compare that figure - should be 7 seconds or so - to the difference in C4 - which will be bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

MYOB wrote:
    I know. Thats why I said to compare the BBC's off air time to satellite time and then compare that figure - should be 7 seconds or so - to the difference in C4 - which will be bigger.

I saw this occur during the summer when watching the cricket on Channel 4 and and listening to it on BBC Radio 4 on LW and from FTA satellite.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭ethernet

DMC wrote:
    I saw this occur during the summer when watching the cricket on Channel 4 and and listening to it on BBC Radio 4 on LW and from FTA satellite.

Cricket ... [cough] -- that must be a right turn-off and distraction! Thanks, y'all, for feeding my brain!

Advertisement