Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mayo GAA Discussion Part 2

Options
  • 02-09-2015 10:01pm
    Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭

New thread continued from here.

Welcome to the Mayo GAA discussion thread.

This is one of the most active forums on Boards.ie. As a result, discussion can get quite heated. But there are certain things posters must realise are simply not OK to post:

- Personal abuse of anyone be they other posters, players, managers, referees, pundits etc. Any personal abuse will result in an infraction or a ban.

- Rumours about players'/managers'/anyone's personal lives. This should be self explanatory. Apart from being a dickish thing to do, it can lead to legal trouble for Boards.

- Trolling. Again, self explanatory. Trolls will be banned for a long time.

- Accusations of trolling. Report a post if you suspect it to be trolling. Do not call a troll out on thread as this will be considered back seat modding.

- Speculation into the identity of another poster. This is a site-bannable offence.

This list is not exhaustive. Either myself or another mod may add to this as we see fit. Just because a certain behaviour isn't listed, doesn't mean you can't be banned for it.
    The general Boards.ie rule of Don't be a Dick always applies.

If you feel a post breaks the rules, simply click the red triangle underneath the post in question to report the post and a mod will deal with it as they see fit.

So be civil to each other and happy posting.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Can I abuse myself! :D

Okay, the last time a new thread was started before an AI semi final was 1951. So this is our year.

From the last thread:
    Appeal is tomorrow night. I expect he will get off, same as Keane. It set a precedent and a wrong one in my opinion so we just have to get on with it.
    Any word on Vaughan or Clarke? Any other players carrying knocks.
    I can't see Drake starting again on Saturday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

New thread

000b0b00-642.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

ColeTrain wrote: »
    New thread

000b0b00-642.jpg

Truly stunning picture of Dublin Joe, thanks! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

yop wrote: »

Okay, the last time a new thread was started before an AI semi final was 1951. So this is our year.

From the last thread:
    Appeal is tomorrow night. I expect he will get off, same as Keane. It set a precedent and a wrong one in my opinion so we just have to get on with it.

I feel that after them being somewhat lenient on Cooper and McMahon and not citing them, they might make an example outta Connolly. If they do let him off it will totally undermine the referees of the country.
    One thing is sure, Kinsella will be card happy the next day. Will deffo try and set down a marker. Some players will deffo miss the final IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

Team announced, same as the one that started on Sunday.

• Advertisement

Ascii wrote: »
    I feel that after them being somewhat lenient on Cooper and McMahon and not citing them, they might make an example outta Connolly. If they do let him off it will totally undermine the referees of the country.
    One thing is sure, Kinsella will be card happy the next day. Will deffo try and set down a marker. Some players will deffo miss the final IMO

2 ways to look at it. Or maybe 3!
    Keane slapped a lad, yes he was provoked. But he got a red and it should have stuck.
    Connolly was provoked, he reacted, he punched and he got red. He will get off the same as Keane and in my opinion if Keane got off he should.

If he plays then he will be a marked man, the lads will try to rise him and the minute he does then he is fupped. Same with Cooper and Philly and the same with COC. Maybe AOS to a lesser extent. And Keegan I think will need to be on good behavior.

He will be card happy indeed and in a way he needs to get it right from the off, the players will be testing him to see how far they can go.
    I think we won't see as many reds or blacks and the players will have to behave.

We might actually see a more open game, who this suits I don't honest know.

I predicted a draw the other day, I am going for ET on this one.
    We honestly cannot play as bad in the 1st half, Dublin should't be as poor for the 2nd, so what gives, I don't know.

We need our forwards to step up, I think Doherty was marshalled majorily, McLoughs need to steps up, DOC will have a big say in the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,387 ✭✭✭irishgeo

the team

Mayo GAA ‏@MayoGAA 6m6 minutes ago
    Mayo XV: Hennelly, Caff, Vaughan, Higgins, Keegan, Barrett, Boyle, SOS, Parsons, DOC, AOS, McLoughlin, Drake, COC, Doherty. #mayogaa #gaa

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

irishgeo wrote: »
    the team

Mayo GAA ‏@MayoGAA 6m6 minutes ago
    Mayo XV: Hennelly, Caff, Vaughan, Higgins, Keegan, Barrett, Boyle, SOS, Parsons, DOC, AOS, McLoughlin, Drake, COC, Doherty. #mayogaa #gaa

Ya. but not really

Ya. but not really

So we are thinking that team won't start?
    Clarke in goal maybe, Drake out and who in?
    Will Donie make it?

Ya. but not really

of course not.

after the poor return from the forwards in the 1st half i can see a shuffle upfront.

• Advertisement

Will Donie make it?

Donie will struggle to make it I think. Might see Barry Moran in from the start.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Anyone care to guess the starting 15?

Reported that the appeal against the red card hasn't been successful.

Why does everyone want Clarke back in goal for the replay? Personally think Robbie is the better choice for this game anyway.

Mr connolly will be watching from the sideline according to this.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaa-confirm-diarmuid-connollys-match-ban-31498247.html

ColeTrain wrote: »
    Donie will struggle to make it I think. Might see Barry Moran in from the start.

I read an article the other day about Mayo tactic on the kickout. While they were expected to push up it seems that according to the author that Mayo allowed the Dublin player with the least ability to distribute the ball to have it, then they pushed up straight away on him, forcing them to pass the ball back to Cluxton, almost causing Moran to score the goal.
    Was an interesting take.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Will Donie make it?

Can't see Drake starting and it's hardly credible that Donie has recovered from that shoulder injury,it appeared quite serious.I'd be expecting Barry Moran to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I read an article the other day about Mayo tactic on the kickout. While they were expected to push up it seems that according to the author that Mayo allowed the Dublin player with the least ability to distribute the ball to have it, then they pushed up straight away on him, forcing them to pass the ball back to Cluxton, almost causing Moran to score the goal.
    Was an interesting take.

That doesn't make sense, Cluxton was unchallenged for most of the match.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Can't see Drake starting and it's hardly credible that Donie has recovered from that shoulder injury,it appeared quite serious.

a sling and a huge bag of ice. yeah it looked pretty bad.

seligehgit wrote: »
    Can't see Drake starting and it's hardly credible that Donie has recovered from that shoulder injury,it appeared quite serious.

Connelly said it was a serious knock, so he's going to be doing very well to put himself into contention to start on Saturday. It won't be the type of game for a player not going at full tilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭tacofries

A little teaser for ye all! No matter what the outcome they've done us proud,.. They owe absolutely nothing to us, just to themselves now.

https://www.facebook.com/mike.gallagher.332/videos/10152982916195997/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Quick question, the panel of 26 has to be submitted by 9am tomorrow. Can Vaughan be replaced by someone after this deadline if indeed he isn't fit?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Obviously no chance of that team starting, really what is the point of team naming process at this stage - they'd be better having each county name their 26 man squad mid-week and then just announce the two teams on the day. That approach works fine in other sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,325 ✭✭✭naughto

From the last thread:
    I'd say u do enough abusing of your senlf as it is yop

naughto wrote: »
    I'd say u do enough abusing of your senlf as it is yop

Now now, "I will find you and I will kill you" ;)

*btw I'm kidding, its a quote! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Ascii

Lets throw the team together for Saturday.
    Robbie: Didn't do much wrong the last day
    Chris: Solid display...kept BB fairly well on the leash
    Caff: Good display. Not being threatened to much though
    Keith: Obvious reasons...though was turned awful badly in the first half for the point...so unlike him. The standout number 4 in the country. Should be in line to receive his 4th all star this year.
    Lee: Obvious. Needs to take a step back from the wrestling and let his skill do the talking
    Durcan: Don't think donie will be fit enough. No point chancing him if he has to come off after 20 mins and using a sub. If he is good enough for a run at the end then so be it. Durcan played really well when he did come on.
    Boyler: Great display.
    Parsons: Great game, off loading was a little erratic on some occasions. Ran the legs off himself
    SOS: Not as effective as he usually is. Dublin starved him of the ball which he usually thrives off in the centre of the pitch. Due a big game next week.
    DOC: Played serious football on Sunday. One of the standout players of the day despite getting some unwanted attention. Young footballer of the year award in the bag
    AOS: Obvious reasons. Really starting to mature. Did really well despite the attention. One a couple of occasions he seemed to carry the ball into the tackle too much. Sometimes I think he feels he can just work wonders with the ball and 4 guys hanging off him.. not always the case. There will always be a couple of men free and in better positions.
    Doherty: Was a very good workhorse coming into the game. Deserves his game on this basis. Had a blip the last day, didn't assert himself on the game like he usually can. Am expecting him to be back to normal on Saturday.
    COC: Obsious reasons. ICE cool kicking into a crowded and noisy hill.
    Freezer: Think he will provide that bit of height and muscle and an ability to score. Think with a good delivery of ball he can take some of the pressure of AOS
    Ronaldson: Prob the hardest call..but outta the rest of the forwards I think he can provide an element of danger and live of the scraps from AOS and freezer.

Think Mcloughlin is for the bench. Aside from Donegal he has failed to find any form from the past 12 months. Half forwards need to be contributing with a couple of points in each game. He seemed totally at sea the last day. I am going against Jim McGuinness who reckons McLoughlin should drop back to support midfield and put Barry big bird in the forwards with AOS for a twin approach. All well and good but I don't thing barry has the scoring ability that freezer has.

Thoughts anyone ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

irishgeo wrote: »
    of course not.

after the poor return from the forwards in the 1st half i can see a shuffle upfront.

Drake Gone, andy may start

Don't think Andy would have any impact on the game if started.

• Advertisement

Don't think Andy would have any impact on the game if started.

a fantastic impact sub. What a man to bring on with 20 mins to go.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement