Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Former All-Ireland winner recommends burning all hurls in Meath....

• 30-08-2015 8:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

Yes, you didn't dream that headline. At a meeting of last Monday in Navan a former Meath football midfielder, one of the best it has to be said, suggested that all hurleys in the county should be gathered up and burned.

I was not at the meeting myself so I don't know the context that the statement was made (possibly in jest?) but I've now heard it from three different sources. I beleve it will be reported in this week's Meath Chronicle.

Whether in jest or not, it just shows what the clubs in north Meath think of the best sport in the world.......

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭whupdedo

They could get rid of the footballs as well the way they're going lately

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Yes, you didn't dream that headline. At a meeting of last Monday in Navan a former Meath football midfielder, one of the best it has to be said, suggested that all hurleys in the county should be gathered up and burned.

I was not at the meeting myself so I don't know the context that the statement was made (possibly in jest?) but I've now heard it from three different sources. I beleve it will be reported in this week's Meath Chronicle.

Whether in jest or not, it just shows what the clubs in north Meath think of the best sport in the world.......

In fairness lots of hurling men in other counties have said something similar about footballs.

Just the way it is with some people unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

In fairness lots of hurling men in other counties have said something similar about footballs.

Just the way it is with some people unfortunately.

Doesn't make it right. I'm involved in both codes underage and while I may have a slight preference for hurling, as long os my lad playing and enjoyng both I'm happy. And yes he also plays soccer and Meath have put the u13 hurling and football fixtures up against the soccer fixtures for a WONDERFUL Autumn in this house!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Half the minor Tipperary team that won today are in the squad for the hurling final next week. I don't think the issue is a resources one, its possible to combine both sports. You usually see some counties making excuses at this time of year. They are usually officials who are in power and trying to justify why their county isn't doing well and blaming everyone but themselves.

Meath seems to be one of those counties which has turned into a basket case in recent years, much like Cork, Kildare and a few others. These counties have the talent and the resources but possibly the politics behind the scenes holds them back. Too many people on cushy numbers satisfied with the stutus quo or else haven't a clue about football.

Half the minor Tipperary team that won today are in the squad for the hurling final next week. I don't think the issue is a resources one, its possible to combine both sports. You usually see some counties making excuses at this time of year. They are usually officials who are in power and trying to justify why their county isn't doing well and blaming everyone but themselves.

Meath seems to be one of those counties which has turned into a basket case in recent years, much like Cork, Kildare and a few others. These counties have the talent and the resources but possibly the politics behind the scenes holds them back. Too many people on cushy numbers satisfied with the stutus quo or else haven't a clue about football.

Great point re Tipp, I think 9 dual minors. Also, Kerry and Kildare are ahead of Meath in hurling and have been for a number of years.

When we go playing football north of Navan it's like a different planet where a hurl has never been seen (some exceptions of course). Recently at an u14 football match a few girls from ourclub (8/9ish) brought hurls and were pucking along the sideline and I think the host team were disgusted!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

gerry mcentee said it

its because of idiots like this that meath football and hurling is where it is
    wouldnt be the first time this kind of view has been aired

the way the county hurling team have been treated in recent years is a disgrace

shame the local media dont have the balls to report on it

there was a report done on the state of football in the county and how to improve it
    at the meeting it was asked what the plan was for hurling in the future
    he said to gather all the hurls and burn them, that was the plan

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

sc86 wrote: »
    gerry mcentee said it

McEntee is supposed to be an educated man. If what is attributed to him here is true, he has made a proper idiot of himself. They can burn all the hurleys they like. It wont win Senior Fooball All Irelands for Meath. If attitudes like his (if what attributed to him is true) prevail at County Board level in Meath, it is no wonder the county is in the doldrums. There was hurling in Meath long before McEntee was born and it will be there long after him.
    Meath lost a minor hurling ALL Ireland Final to Waterford in 1929.

Meath Hurling record from Wiki:

All-Ireland Senior B Hurling Championships: 1
    Kehoe Cups: 6
    1993, 1996, 1998, 2004, 2008, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015
    Nicky Rackard Cups: 1
    All Ireland Under 21 B Hurling Championships: 1
    All-Ireland Junior Hurling Championships: 6
    1927, 1948, 1970, 1998, 1999, 2004
    Leinster Junior Hurling Championships: 10
    1927 1948 1961 1970 1972 1998 1999 2002 2003 2004
    Leinster Minor Hurling Championships: 1
    All-Ireland Minor B Hurling Championships: 2
    2007, 2011

Meath has always produced good hurlers. In fact Sean Boylan first made his name as a hurler. Hurling was his preferred game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,610 ✭✭✭eigrod

Not sure Cork are a 'basket case'. Certainly problems in the last few years and shouldn't be where they are right now - but far from a basket case.

Also, they entered seven U14/U15/U16 & U17 Inter County hurling tournaments at the weekend and won them all (A & B levels).

this is nothing new, the only surprise is this has been made public

lads could write a large book on the lenghts they have gone to try kill hurling in the county

even if it was said jokingly which im not sure if it was or not, the truth is that is what the county board want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭culbaire

this is nothing new, the only surprise is this has been made public

lads could write a large book on the lenghts they have gone to try kill hurling in the county

even if it was said jokingly which im not sure if it was or not, the truth is that is what the county board want
    Soccer and Rugby are the games which are a real threat to Gaelic in Meath not hurling. Good Gaelic footballers can be signed up very quickly by Dublin rugby teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭wats the craic

gerry mcentee said it

leading up to the 2008 all ireland qfinal between wexford and armagh , the former wexford hurling captain said it would be the worst thing that ever happened to wexford gaa if the footballers won . he den went on to say that he would burst all football s in the county . as county minior manager he banned players from playing football with the county , even but pressure on some not to play for thier clubs thats the hurling taliban in wexford , the man name is martin story . i look back on the period between 2002 and 2012 or so and wonder how the **** we still had such a good football team in that period with all the feckers like story and the county board so dead against football in wexford . room should be made for both codes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭LeoB

This is most counties where die hards of one game want to down the other game.

In fairness also there are a few jokers around Meath hurling also who dont help their cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Whoever said it should get themselves along to a Meath hurling game,I watched them playing our lads in the Christy Ring Cup this year in Tralee,we won in the end but were made work very hard for the win,for long stages of the game Meath were the better team and played some lovely hurling,

They had a lad wing forward that day Jack Regan he was easily Man of the Match that day,a serious player.

They had a lad wing forward that day Jack Regan he was easily Man of the Match that day,a serious player.

Our clubman, fair player alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Our clubman, fair player alright!

Is he U21??

Best of luck next weekend too btw

Is he U21??

Best of luck next weekend too btw

Yes, he'll be there with the 21s. Can't go myself due to u13 football commitments but thanks for good wishes!

He plays for county champions Kiltale, we were beaten by Mulinavat in last year's Leinster Intermediate final.

Advertisement