Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 526 ✭✭✭ManOnFire

Anyone know when Enrique is due back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

great win today we must be the most exciting team in the league to watch for the neutrals some great games this year including today, the everton, city and spurs games to name a few have been great to watch. Mainly because as good as we are going forward we are so open defensively. Its seems a long time ago since we started the season with 3 1-0 wins. Our two full backs give me the jitters, I cant believe how poor johnson is playing.
    Suarez apart from his goals his passing was unbelievable today. His pass for sturridge's goal and coutinho's volley in the 1st half were class.

He trapped a ball today , that even in the match thread , people were saying how brilliant it was ... his ball control is out of this world in fairness .

We are very lucky to have Luizcitto :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Kess73 wrote: »
    Would have to do a bit of digging to be sure, but I think Aldridge/Beardsley in their first season with the club was our best one season league goal pairing with 41 league goals between them (Barnes also got 15 league goals that same season)

Cheers for the digging, 56 between those 3 was special, I don't think I've ever seen anything to match them since in England anyway.
    So Suarez/Sturridge already being on 32 between them as we approach mid January is a bit special, and possible has them on course to be the best ever one season league goal pairing the club has ever had. By my reckoning they need 10 more league goals between them to be the club's best one season league goal pairing.

Remarkable achievement, Sturridges goals and everything are obviously great but the telepathic understanding is something else. £12 Million is an absolute snip for the havoc they wreck. The main doubt about Sturridge was his intelligence as a footballer, he's answered those questions and then some.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Who cares how we defend if we score more than concede. Enjoy the ride. It's been ****e for long enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

niallo27 wrote: »
    Who cares how we defend if we score more than concede. Enjoy the ride. It's been ****e for long enough.

Unfortunately that tactic doesn't work V the big boys. Ref City and Chelsea.

I really enjoy our approach but we need to cut out the silly stuff at the back

For Liverpool? I don't think the main two goal threats for any Liverpool team ever managed 50 league goals between them in one season.

I know that Kenny and Rush never managed it, and the Aldridge/Beardsley combo never made the 50 league goal mark either.

Would have to do a bit of digging to be sure, but I think Aldridge/Beardsley in their first season with the club was our best one season league goal pairing with 41 league goals between them (Barnes also got 15 league goals that same season)

Rush and Barnes managed 40 league goals between them for the 89/90 season.

Rush and Kenny got 39 between then in 83/84.

Gerrard/Torres managed 35 between them in 07/08.

So Suarez/Sturridge already being on 32 between them as we approach mid January is a bit special, and possible has them on course to be the best ever one season league goal pairing the club has ever had. By my reckoning they need 10 more league goals between them to be the club's best one season league goal pairing.

What sort of record did Toshack and Keegan have Kess do you know off hand?

ManOnFire wrote: »
    Anyone know when Enrique is due back?

Best bit of business Rodgers will do in this window!

Seriously, I used to give out a fair bit about him but can't wait to see him back. Flanagan did well there, but Enrique will make a big difference to us defensively when he's back.

That and settle on a CB partnership and I think we'll be all right at the back, less heart attacks anyway.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looking at the MOTD highlights, Walters got his goal because Mignolet advanced and simply didn't react in time, instead of getting his mits on the ball it slipped beneath - the yards he moved was the difference between a save and a goal I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Remember when we all said that Suarez wasn't very good at putting the ball in the goals?

Its all he ever does now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

johnson was brutal all season but i think he was disgracefully today.
    He is not shaking himself at all. He has everything technically but just lacks attitude and concentration, which are the two things you should expect from someone picking up the wages he is on. Is there something going on in the background in his personal life?
    Cissokho had his work cut out with little or no support from countinho...we need to get flanagan/enrique back fairly sharpish.

K-9 wrote: »
    Best bit of business Rodgers will do in this window!

Seriously, I used to give out a fair bit about him but can't wait to see him back. Flanagan did well there, but Enrique will make a big difference to us defensively when he's back.

That and settle on a CB partnership and I think we'll be all right at the back, less heart attacks anyway.

Agreed K-9 , on the other side of the pitch , i wish Johno would get himself sorted , he's an excellent player , but with his current form i would drop him to the bench . Problem is , who would replace him ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Did Mark Lawrenson just call the Premier League "The Premi"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,032 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

T-K-O wrote: »

That was away from home though and we were ****en unluckily not get a point. It's all about 4th place this season. Utd played ugly for years but were lethal and clinical and won 3-2. Why can't Liverpool be like that. Every team has their weakness.

niallo27 wrote: »
    That was away from home though and we were ****en unluckily not get a point. It's all about 4th place this season. Utd played ugly for years but were lethal and clinical and won 3-2. Why can't Liverpool be like that. Every team has their weakness.

The ability to win a header in our own box + someone really needs a word in Skrtels ear RE the shirt pulling. Two things we need to work on.

Edit; don't forget Arsenal battered us for 90 mins.

We're on the right road but lots of work to do

Did Mark Lawrenson just call the Premier League "The Premi"?

Wouldn't be at all surprised, tbh.

• Advertisement

True enough, no Sturridge was crucial in those games, I think we'd have got a result out of those 2 with him, for all the praise Sterling is getting we are very reliant on Suarez without Danny.

We're down to the bare bones at the back. Sakho should be back soon, and Enrique shouldn't be too long.
    mike65 wrote: »
    Looking at the MOTD highlights, Walters got his goal because Mignolet advanced and simply didn't react in time, instead of getting his mits on the ball it slipped beneath - the yards he moved was the difference between a save and a goal I believe.

It's a weakness of his, he doesn't come out from his line often and he made the wrong call there. I'd prefer him just sticking to his line more often than not, it's what he's good at.

True enough, no Sturridge was crucial in those games, I think we'd have got a result out of those 2 with him, for all the praise Sterling is getting we are very reliant on Suarez without Danny.

We're down to the bare bones at the back. Sakho should be back soon, and Enrique shouldn't be too long.

It's a weakness of his, he doesn't come out from his line often and he made the wrong call there. I'd prefer him just sticking to his line more often than not, it's what he's good at.

To be honest Sahko does not fill me with confidence but I'm hoping he just needs a run in the team.

Despite the naysayers - we are missing Enrique and I for one cannot wait for his return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Anyone know what Charlie Adams celebration was about?

He had scored a goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,543 ✭✭✭✭CSF

The ability to win a header in our own box + someone really needs a word in Skrtels ear RE the shirt pulling. Two things we need to work on.

Edit; don't forget Arsenal battered us for 90 mins.

We're on the right road but lots of work to do
    Jesus, I don't even know if shirt pulling is the right word for Skrtel's corner antics at this stage. One of these days I'm expecting him to dish out a rock bottom to the attacker because he has them in the right stance for it most of the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

What was it?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Aren't bookies great. We are somehow 1/16 to finish in the top 6 on PP. All of the top 7 are odds on with Everton the longest odds on 1/2 which is mad I think (Spurs 2/5 and Utd 1/6 are the next longest). Suarez is 1/18 for top scorer :pac:

Yes, I know different/better odds are available elsewhere, but I'm not actually betting on any of the above. I think 1/16 for top 6 for us is crazy though given how close the top 7 are. Someone will have to be the odd one out.

Stargate wrote: »
    Agreed K-9 , on the other side of the pitch , i wish Johno would get himself sorted , he's an excellent player , but with his current form i would drop him to the bench . Problem is , who would replace him ?

Kelly we all know the issue, Flanagan could do with a run there to see what he's made of. For me Johnson should go in the Summer if we can get a better replacement, him and either Agger or Skrtel.

Something to do with cards ..... the red one he should have got last week i think ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Turtyturd wrote: »
    What was it?

Looked like he simulated a book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Stargate wrote: »
    What sort of record did Toshack and Keegan have Kess do you know off hand?

Doubt if they ever came close to the kind of figures the lads from the 1980's onwards got.

Will have a look online for exact figures, but I do know that Keegan never scored close to 20 league goals for Liverpool in any of the seasons he was at the club.

Toshack's stats I will check.

Edit: Just had a look and Toshack's best season in terms of league goals saw him get 16 (1975/76) and Keegan's best season for us in terms of league goals was the 1972/73 season when he got 13 goals.

Handy site for anyone trying to get LFC player stats past and present. Is usually updated the same day as our most recent game.

http://www.lfchistory.net/

CSF wrote: »
    Jesus, I don't even know if shirt pulling is the right word for Skrtel's corner antics at this stage. One of these days I'm expecting him to dish out a rock bottom to the attacker because he has them in the right stance for it most of the time.

It's beyond ridiculous at this stage, it's gonna cost us.

Looked like he simulated a book.

Not at all sure, but my guess is that he knew someone in the crowd, and he feigned signing an autograph.

He laughed after he did it anyway.

5starpool wrote: »
    Aren't bookies great. We are somehow 1/16 to finish in the top 6 on PP. All of the top 7 are odds on with Everton the longest odds on 1/2 which is mad I think (Spurs 2/5 and Utd 1/6 are the next longest). Suarez is 1/18 for top scorer :pac:

Yes, I know different/better odds are available elsewhere, but I'm not actually betting on any of the above. I think 1/16 for top 6 for us is crazy though given how close the top 7 are. Someone will have to be the odd one out.

I'd have Everton the most likely to finish outside the top 6, though they surprised me by responding to 1 or 2 bad results. I'd normally have them written off by now, but I think 4 points from United and Arsenal away was a massive psychological thing for them. I'd have Spurs as the most likely to finish 7th, they are the most unpredictable atm for me.

Normally United would be dead certs for 4th, but they are in that infuriating position that us Liverpool fans know well, Rafa's last season a great example. Just waiting on that run to propel us into 4th, waiting on 2 or 3 other teams to bottle it, and it never happened.

First things first is getting a good run going, United have a tough run of games coming up. We've Arsenal and Everton at home as well, fascinating period of a mind boggling season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

TidyCourteousIberianmidwifetoad.gif

• Advertisement

I'd have Everton the most likely to finish outside the top 6, though they surprised me by responding to 1 or 2 bad results. I'd normally have them written off by now, but I think 4 points from United and Arsenal away was a massive psychological thing for them. I'd have Spurs as the most likely to finish 7th, they are the most unpredictable atm for me.

Normally United would be dead certs for 4th, but they are in that infuriating position that us Liverpool fans know well, Rafa's last season a great example. Just waiting on that run to propel us into 4th, waiting on 2 or 3 other teams to bottle it, and it never happened.

First things first is getting a good run going, United have a tough run of games coming up. We've Arsenal and Everton at home as well, fascinating period of a mind boggling season.

I agree but I don't think there should a difference between 1/2 and 1/16 between us for it considering how close it is. If we can beat them at home in 2 weeks it will be big.

Knex. wrote: »
    Not at all sure, but my guess is that he knew someone in the crowd, and he feigned signing an autograph.

He laughed after he did it anyway.

Anybody have a link to it?

I thought he was imitating dealing a deck of cards. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

See Chelski have bid for Matic :(:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,708 ✭✭✭Speak Now

For Liverpool? I don't think the main two goal threats for any Liverpool team ever managed 50 league goals between them in one season.

I know that Kenny and Rush never managed it, and the Aldridge/Beardsley combo never made the 50 league goal mark either.

Rush and Barnes managed 40 league goals between them for the 89/90 season.

Rush and Kenny got 39 between then in 83/84.

Gerrard/Torres managed 35 between them in 07/08.

Don't forget God and Collymore 95/96 ;)

Dalglish/Rush 82/83 also i'd say.

Before Rush the Johnson/Kenny partnership was very special but it went to a new level with Rushie.

St. John and Hatley had their years in the 60's winning teams with Sir Roger as well, lots of goals back then so the 50 may have been reached back then.

Rodgers has been taking sideline celebration lessons from Suarez, I see.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

billy2012 wrote: »
    See Chelski have bid for Matic :(:(

So what?

Attack
    Overall--HOME--AWAY
    Rank----2nd
    2nd----1st

Defence
    Overall---HOME---AWAY
    Rank----8th
    1st
    16th

jamaamaj wrote: »
    So what?

Exactly, now its down to the player and if he wants to sign for a big club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Don't forget God and Collymore 95/96 ;)

Dalglish/Rush 82/83 also i'd say.

Before Rush the Johnson/Kenny partnership was very special but it went to a new level with Rushie.

St. John and Hatley had their years in the 60's winning teams with Sir Roger as well, lots of goals back then so the 50 may have been reached back then.

Great shouts

Fowler/Collymore from 95/96 got 42 league goals

Kenny/Rush in 82/83 was also a 42 goal haul.

Will have a look to get figures for Hunt/Hatley/St John, but you could be dead right again there because am pretty sure that Hunt had a few 30 or so goal seasons in the league.

EDIT: You were spot on about the 50 being broken in the 1960's. St John and Hunt scored a whopping 59 league goals between them during the 1961/62 season.

They also got 43 during the 1962/63 season and 52 in 1963/64.

After that Ian St John never scored more than 10 league goals in any of the following 7 seasons he was at the club.

So 59 now looks to be the target for Suarez and Sturridge to beat. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

I'm going to say it,

I'm loving Rodgers more every day.

Attacking football score more than the other :pac:

IN Rodgers we Trust.

jamaamaj wrote: »
    So what?

He is a player I really want us to sign.

His name has been brought up a few times in threads when talking about who we could buy to strengthen our midfield.

Exactly, now its down to the player and if he wants to sign for a big club!

I'd imagine Benfica will have a say in what happens.

5starpool wrote: »
    I agree but I don't think there should a difference between 1/2 and 1/16 between us for it considering how close it is. If we can beat them at home in 2 weeks it will be big.

Going to be some derby, reminiscent of the mid to late 80's ones, can't wait for it, Merseyside derbys being important as regards the top of the table again, not just bragging rights.. So many huge games coming up and barring United away all at Anfield.

True enough on the odds, there's nothing between both teams, well barring Suarez! I'd say those odds are based on United coming strong with RVP to come back. For me Everton and Spurs are the 2 unquantifiables in the run in.

Anyway, anybody prefer GED and Rafa style playing to the current set up?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Suarez didn't even play that well today.

frightening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

SlickRic wrote: »
    Suarez didn't even play that well today.

frightening.

And Sturridge isn't match fit. Looking forward to SAS at full tilt!

• Advertisement

Anyway, anybody prefer GED and Rafa style playing to the current set up?

Nope, though the "advantage" of watching their teams was that my heart got less wear and tear - we are back to the Roy Evans era right now, if it were only possible to combine Ged defence with Rodgers attack we'd be home and hosed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,563 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Missed the match earlier, sitting down to watch the recording. Is it worth watching or is it a nil nil snoozefest? :pac::D:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Missed the match earlier, sitting down to watch the recording. Is it worth watching or is it a nil nil snoozefest? :pac::D:pac::pac::pac::pac:

2 of our ex players score, Mig makes a howler and Stevie has slowed down our entire midfield.

don't put yourself through it.

Great shouts

Fowler/Collymore from 95/96 got 42 league goals

Kenny/Rush in 82/83 was also a 42 goal haul.

Will have a look to get figures for Hunt/Hatley/St John, but you could be dead right again there because am pretty sure that Hunt had a few 30 or so goal seasons in the league.

EDIT: You were spot on about the 50 being broken in the 1960's. St John and Hunt scored a whopping 59 league goals between them during the 1961/62 season.

They also got 43 during the 1962/63 season and 52 in 1963/64.

After that Ian St John never scored more than 10 league goals in any of the following 7 seasons he was at the club.

So 59 now looks to be the target for Suarez and Sturridge to beat. :D

The 59 goal season though was in the 2nd division, so we'll let them away with beating 52 as the top flight record. Hopefully they'll have it done and dusted by the end of March ;)

mike65 wrote: »
    Nope, though the "advantage" of watching their teams was that my heart got less wear and tear - we are back to the Roy Evans era right now, if it were only possible to combine Ged defence with Rodgers attack we'd be home and hosed.

Evans is what comes into my mind watching us.

Any site to watch MotD2 highlights?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement