Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Talk/Gossip/Rumours - 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

:(

BPTXdciCUAA7WhU.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

ah sure he wasnt good enough anyway

the great and wise ando wil do..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

You can blame me if he does leave.:pac:

I also know Evra is undecided about leaving now. I hope he does stay personally.

If he leaves I wouldn't mind. As long as its what Moyes wants. I'm loving that he seems to be doing things his way. If he has convinced Nani And Evra to stay, told Rooney he wont be sold, and pulled the plug on Strootman then I'm glad. Shows he has the balls to do it his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

People who were saying Bayern just came and completed the deal in 2 days should check Thiago's interview.

Thiago:
    I talked to Guardiola at the end of last season. He told me to finish the U21 EURO first and then we talked again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,843 ✭✭✭GSPfan

Giggsy11 wrote: »
    People who were saying Bayern just came and completed the deal in 2 days should check Thiago's interview.

Its hillarious now looking back over the explosion of anger from a lot of regular posters and how dead certain they were that United fooked it up.

Come on back in guys, admit you were wrong and apologise to Man United. You hurt Man United's feelings so much they went crazy and bid for the first midfielder they could see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

What would you say Barca's breaking point is on Cesc ? €40mil ? -- €45mil ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

NeVeR wrote: »

It depends on what clauses exist in Cesc's contract (i.e Do arsenal get a cut of the fee?) but i would say 35-40mill should break them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Fanny Biscuit

Bit of good news is that Nani looks like starting and Moyes wants Evra to stay. Apparently that is to free up cash for CM. it's up to Evra though I guess.

So all this talk of a x amount cash available to Moyes to sign anyone is BS as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭UnitedIrishman

Don't think it really matters, if Cesc doesn't want to go then he won't. The likelihood is that Xavi will be playing less games in the next few years given the mileage he's clocked up and Cesc will be probably starting more. He doesn't want to leave so it looks a non-runner for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Rubber_Soul

They paid what 30 mil+ extras? I'd say €45m at least. I really can't see him having any interest in leaving tbh, certainly not to us anyway. The only that makes me doubt that though is that Utd surely have been talking to his people and must have got some encouragement in order to go ahead and stick an offer in.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

So all this talk of a x amount cash available to Moyes to sign anyone is BS as usual.

What? am I missing something? If they both stay, there will be no money for a Midfielder?

bullvine wrote: »
    What? am I missing something? If they both stay, there will be no money for a Midfielder?

I missed the point completely. I blame the heavy drugs i am taking for muscle i pulled in my back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

bullvine wrote: »

Id say its more to do with the wage bill than Utd not having the transfer funds, I reckon they have to offload players to bring in some.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,627 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I missed the point completely. I blame the heavy drugs i am taking for muscle i pulled in my back.

The drugs dont work, they just make you worse but I know ill see your face again FB

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

The write up that said Arsenal get 50% of Fabregas' transfer fee was taken off the Wiki page, ESPN reporting that Arsenal get 50% of the profits that Barca make and have first refusal and a buy back clause for around £25m.

I'd say €45m would get him, if he's definitely coming back to England and wants to win something United should be the most appealing. Champions, RVP, and a big Fabregas shaped void in the cente of the team.

Barca need top defenders and after buying Neymar they could need to sell Fabregas to get the funds together, Silva is who they're reportedly looking at and he cost PSG €42m! That's the only way I can see this transfer happening, at least if it does happen Fabregas will probably be bitter towards Barca for getting rid of him and he won't want to go back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

The desperately need a midfielder. I can understand them needing to shift a player or two to get them off the wage bill but there's no way that should prevent a midfielder being signed up front for the sake of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭SoulTrader

I just don't buy into this nonsense that Utd are only bidding to show that we are a force to be reckoned with. A club of our stature and our history would not stoop so low, certainly not while Bobby Charlton is still around. If we have bid for him, it's because we are serious about buying him, and I expect Utd were encouraged that Barca would listen to offers / Fabregas would be willing to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Macca07

First time posting since Friday morning as I was away for the weekend.

All I have to say about Thiago; if United were interested in him, and has turned us down for Bayern, then the talk that he wanted more game time is ridiculous. He is not going to get more game time at Bayern than he did at Barca, he is foolish to think it. Pep might have this promised, but that would mean he is breaking up a CM pairing that won the CL last season, which would be nuts to do. All the talk today has been that he always favored a move to Bayern. More luck to him.

Re Cesc; not sure what to make of the supposed bid, £25mil is a measly enough opening bid for a world class CM. Would be interesting to find out who leaked the story. Is it a bluff? Are we bidding for someone else at the moment and this is a smokescreen? United transfers usually don't get reported on until they are nearly complete. Things could be different now with Woodward and Moyes making the calls.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭QikBax

25 Million is just an opening bid. Negotiations progress from there (or not)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

I missed the point completely. I blame the heavy drugs i am taking

I chose to stop reading there.

:pac:

• Advertisement

jamc wrote: »

My point is that it is a poor opening bid. At least start with 30mil.

jamc wrote: »

Exactly make an offer and start negotiations from there.

Tito Vilanova has dismissed the idea of Fabregas leaving and he himself has said he doesn't want to leave which would make you think that the offer of 25M was rejected.

GSPfan wrote: »
    New thread rules.

1. Nani shall now be censored. His name will appear as N*** as not to offend anyone and will be referred to as the N word.

2. Thiago was like so yesterday. Get over it like.

3. More pictures of Wags need to be posted. Serious lack of glamour in here.

Fair play to Big Dave...

1279209780060_f.jpg

Macca07 wrote: »
    My point is that it is a poor opening bid. At least start with 30mil.

I think it has something to do with Arsenal's first refusal clause being set at 25 Million. Not sure how but that's probably how they came up with the figure.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

If United made an opening bid of 35m, Barca would want 45m. If United opened at 45m, Barca would want 55m. Negotiations 101 is you start off somewhat lower, and see what reaction we get, and then work our way to a compromise.

I also don't buy the "We bid to show ambition" PR mindset either, since if he turns us down, then the PR is bad, and makes the team look undesirable; to me, the only way a bid is made, even a low one, is if there's a confidence there that he's available and this is the start of the process to get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If Arsenal have a first option at 25m it probably does affect his price somewhat because no matter what price Barca negotiate with United, the minute one was accepted Arsenal could have him for 25m if he chose them over United. Actually theoretically (again assuming all of this is true and possible) it might be better to sell for 30m to another team and allow them to offer a better wage packet to increase the chances of beating Arsenal to the signing than pushing for 40m and seing them fail to agree a contract better than Arsenal's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

I really believe Moyes want's to finally sort out the cm issues which is a big plus. He seems to notice we are short their something Fergie was blind too so that for me for is a positive. It seems like he wants a big name signing and we just can't seem to land anybody. We tried Thiago it failed and i can't see us landing Cesc.

We will more than likely end up with more low key signing but at least ambition is being shown. It actually would not take too much to improve the cm. I would be delighted with two cm players with at least 1 of them improving the first 11. Realistically i can't see any other world class midfielders that we are likely to sign. I will be delighted once we at least sign somebody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Daniel Busch ‏@dan_bu 19m

Hopefully that can put an end to this notion that Utd twiddled their thumbs and did nothing while Bayern swept in at the last minute and got it sorted.

Blue in the face saying it but I reckon United enquired and found out pretty quickly the chances were slim.

I'd be a hypocrite to accept those tweets as exactly what happened but it is the more plausible to me.
    Some people on here are only too quick to blame the club or manager at the drop of a hat.

I'd suggest they stop living and dying by what a certain few journalists say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Personally maybe it's just me but i think Fabregas could be the player who would have us competing in Europe again. He is the player i would not care about if we overspent by a decent amount on. I would have no problem spending €50 million once we got him.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,409 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Barca may as well take 35 million as 40. Its only 2.5 million of a differance when the arsenal fee is factored in.

Thats assuming they were willing to sell. I don't see why they would be inclined to sell him at all.

United should give them 25 million and a centre half. That way they would get a defender, they badly need one and get to keep all the transfer fee as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,775 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

ShooterSF wrote: »
    If Arsenal have a first option at 25m it probably does affect his price somewhat because no matter what price Barca negotiate with United, the minute one was accepted Arsenal could have him for 25m if he chose them over United. Actually theoretically (again assuming all of this is true and possible) it might be better to sell for 30m to another team and allow them to offer a better wage packet to increase the chances of beating Arsenal to the signing than pushing for 40m and seing them fail to agree a contract better than Arsenal's.

I don't think that's how first refusal works.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭BrownBear11

If nothing else this supposed bid for Fabregas should hasten any potential Fellaini dealings, which can only be a good thing, in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,097 ✭✭✭shadowcomplex

Given the choice would ye prefer if signed fagregas and fellaini or Ronaldo and bale

Who do you expect to benefit most from the change in manager?

My first thought is Jones. Still a raw talent but masses of potential. Moyes will have an organised defence, he will have the players drilled into defending well and thats the type of manager Jones needs. He needs a set position and as he is a bit impulsive i'd like to think Moyes will help him a lot with making the right decisions and taking up the right positions.

other thoughts were Anderson, Cleverley and Nani. They get a fresh start with a new manager so if they put the work in now they will have no excuses this time next season (barring any bad injuries.

Given the choice would ye prefer if signed fagregas and fellaini or Ronaldo and bale

Neither of the above.

Messi and Schweinsteiger please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,575 ✭✭✭NTMK

fabregas and fellaini. its what we need atm as much as i would love ronaldo and bale we dont need them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

That's like asking if you want Hilda Ogden and Gail Platt or Angelina Jolie and Jennifer Aniston tbf. :pac:

Needing them is one thing, actually wanting to see both Ronaldo and Bale in United jerseys would be jizzworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

DM-ICE wrote: »
    Who do you expect to benefit most from the change in manager?

I'd love to see N*** :D back to playing regularly, and getting back the form that made him such a class act a couple of seasons back.
    I get a lot of grief for it in my circles, but I really do rate him and hold out a lot of hope for him to be one of our best players again.

According to SSN sources Rooney is unhappy at the treatment he has received by Manchester United and is open to a move to London with both Arsenal and Chelsea interested.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,724 ✭✭✭tallaghtmick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nolars

I just hope he either says he wants to stay to shut the media up or we just feckin sell him.

According to me Rooney can fcuk right off!

Nolars wrote: »
    I just hope he either says he wants to stay to shut the media up or we just feckin sell him.

I've no doubt SAF treated him badly but you only have to look at his performances last season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

How did Fergie treat him badly?

According to SSN sources Rooney is unhappy at the treatment he has received by Manchester United and is open to a move to London with both Arsenal and Chelsea interested.

Could you blame him. He has been treated very unfairly by the club and a lot of fans too who seem to forget how good a player he is.

• Advertisement

How did Fergie treat him badly?

To come out and say he asked for a transfer again was bad form wheather he did or not that should be kept behind closed doors. What's he to gain from telling SSN knowing all reporters will have a field day with this information.

Moyes coming out with quotes like Rooney will be needed if Van Persie gets injured, absolutely baffling stuff altogether. Rooney goes to another Prem Lge team Utd fans will be sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

To come out and say he asked for a transfer again was bad form wheather he did or not that should be kept behind closed doors. What's he to gain from telling SSN knowing all reporters will have a field day with this information.

Fergie stuck by him even after he after the first transfer request fiasco. The club did, the fans did and he's still not happy. Fcuk Rooney at this stage.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Moyes coming out with quotes like Rooney will be needed if Van Persie gets injured, absolutely baffling stuff altogether. Rooney goes to another Prem Lge team Utd fans will be sorry.

He's not irreplaceable and i wouldn't be sorry if he goes as long as he is replaced and we don't go into the season with just RVP, Welbeck and Hernandez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Split camp for Rooney imo, and I can see and in part agree with both sides.

Fact of the matter is he put himself in the firing line when he questioned the clubs ambition, and made himself the scapegoat...to remind others that no one is bigger then the club.

A quality player who has served the club well, but last season was well below his best, and I don't think Rooney will hit the heights ever expected of him. I don't know what to think if he was sold, it would probably be a big loss, especially if he goes to a rival. At the same time, if it makes way for a big marquee singing I probably wouldn't mind. It's unfortunate, I think he has a tarnished legacy. He should be up there with the greats, but unfortunately due to his messing off the field and his now two instances of looking for a move, has probably crushed any memory of him for alot of fans.

Here is a crazy" what if scenarios". Rooney heads to PSG with Zlatan coming the other way. Granted he is getting on, still a quality player who has scored 20+ goals a season for like the last 8 in a row, and has won titles like he was picking up social welfare cheques. The stuff dreams are made off :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement