Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long has your console lasted?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,770 ✭✭✭Polar101

40GB PS3 from mid-2008, no problems yet and still using the original controller too. I put in a 160GB HDD when I bought the PS3, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭koHd

Xbox 360 history:
    • Bought 2006
    • [2 years working]
    • RROD 2008
    • [3 years working]
    • GPU broken 2011
    • Didn't bother repairing. Still not working 2012.

I used it an average of about 5 hours per week. Sometimes it wasn't used for weeks on end.

PC FTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

koHd wrote: »
    Xbox 360 history:
    • Bought 2006
    • [2 years working]
    • RROD 2008
    • [3 years working]
    • GPU broken 2011
    • Didn't bother repairing. Still not working 2012.

I used it an average of about 5 hours per week. Sometimes it wasn't used for weeks on end.

PC FTW.

I like to think in order to maintain a semblance of dignity the OP has omitted the "how long has it been since your PC shit itself for no real reason" option.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

atari 2600 still working
    nes still working
    snes still working
    ps2 and xbox still working
    on my 2nd ps3, only console to fail on me

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

on my second ps3, 5th! xbox. my 2001 bought ps2 still going strong. my day one purchase gamecube was going strong til I sold it. still have an original DS knocking about somewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I like to think in order to maintain a semblance of dignity the OP has omitted the "how long has it been since your PC shit itself for no real reason" option.

A lot less than my 360 has crashed for no reason to be honest. Unless you are running something that's badly coded or it's riddled with virii then modern PC's are very stable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

I've had nearly every major console since the Sega Master system days and only had problems with my Dreamcast. Which was well documented and fixed it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 587 ✭✭✭Sync

Xbox 360 - December 2005 (launch)

I modded the firmware on it, so no warranty. It broke in 2009, and I fixed it using the thermal paste, it broke again in Feb 2010, so I bought a new 120GB elite... haven't had any issues with that since... :)

Also have a PC 2 years, never had an issue with that... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    A lot less than my 360 has crashed for no reason to be honest. Unless you are running something that's badly coded or it's riddled with virii then modern PC's are very stable.

This. I haven't had a hardware failure in about five years. And I haven't had a blue screen or similar in over four.....and I use my PC for hours every day.

Building a machine properly means a hassle free PC experience in my book.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

i would buy a pc but im real fussy
    if i went to buy one it would have to have the lasted tech out their to run it at max on everything
    probably would cost me between a grand and 1500
    dont have that kinda money until xmas :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Can't remember the make, but my pong machine is still running perfect. It's this model:

pong-console.jpg

So is my Atari 2600, SNES, and PS1.

Gone through 2 PS2's and 3 PS2 slims.

On my 2nd 360, first one rrod'd after 1 1/2 years, replacement was doa and the replacement for that one is still going 2 years on.

On my 2nd PS3, original 60gb launch model (bought on launch) ylod'd after 9 months, got it replaced with the exact same model and it's going since.

Mostly use the 360, but thanks to PS+ i'm using the PS3 a helluva lot since. Never had any issues with any Nintendo console i've owned.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,009 Mod ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

Potential-Monke reminded me about this Prinztronic Micro 10 that we got in a box of old crap off a neighbour about 10 years ago. Missing the battery cover, no AC Adaptor, fiddly power button, but still a fun little pong console. :)

[URL=https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/446650/213507.jpg[/URL]

Retr0gamer wrote: »

hah, you wish.

I've had this box flat out refuse to work until i re-seat everything on more than one occasion. I've had multiple graphics cards just go *pop* and I wasn't doing anything pointlessly stupid like over clocking them.
    And that's just the hardware deciding it couldn't be fucked working.
    The less said about windows updates deciding to trap the whole system in an apply update/reboot/fail loop the better. Or having to play silly buggers with drivers because ATI and Nvidia seem to take it in turns to stop wringing money out of nerds and decide to implement something in an arbitrarily stupid way.

Meanwhile, the worst I've got is the occasional hardlock on the 360, which can be fixed by going back to the dash.

In fact I've had more trouble with this one machine that exists only because I need something to meak poast on the internet with, than I've had with every other console I've ever owned combined. I could count all the PC related issues I've had over the years Vs the console ones, but that'd just be unfair.

Back on topic - The only console I've ever had stop working on me was a sega saturn - and that's because I played it so much the disc drive just gave out. Everything else has been amazingly robust.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

Got my 360 in December 2007 and still going strong, and it was second-hand so I'm not totally sure of the age. Still have an original Xbox as well that I must check and see if it's working. The dashboard is banjaxed on it though, think it was the brother that screwed it up.

Dunno if the Amiga and Atari are still working though. They're still up in the attic for many a year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,643 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Bought Xbox in December 2007 lasted 7 months, got a new one under warranty and been fine since

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Had one PSx, laser break down for me after about 2 years or so. Have a replacement under my bed that still works.

PS2 is still working after probably around 7 years or so. My little brother makes use of that since I won't let him near my Xbox 360S that I got about 2 years ago. Still trouble free.

Last is the sitting room Wii, its around 4+ years old and the SD card slot gave up :(

Have a 5 year old PC . No trouble either :) Had a few parts replaced, but due to the reason that the parts needed updating in order to play better games.

I keep them all well ventilated and hoover out the dust once in a while .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Varik

H
    Have a 5 year old PC . No trouble either :) Had a few parts replaced, but due to the reason that the parts needed updating in order to play better games.

At some point that doesn't count.

Got a case, 1 hard drive, a fan controller, and 1 fan that's from the original build.

Before i got broadband which was not all that long ago it still had a 56k modem from an old Pentium 2 gateway in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Out of every machine I've owned the console that has started up first time, with no fiddling is the GameCube I bought in June 2002 :)
    What a machine. It has fallen down two flights of stairs, been kept in a damp boot of a car for 2 weeks by accident, moved house 4 times, yet when you press the power button it comes on like it should. That Gamecube is a warrior.

My release day 360 broke from being under the t.v well ventilated and cared for... then its replacement did the same.... then another, I stopped careing for the newest one as I was sick of them breaking for no reason and suprisingly its held up for the last 4 years. It likes to make a very loud humming noise and regularly smells of a burning scalextric car but it does its job.
    My Wii (release day)and Ps3 (only have about a month or two) have been great except for the Wii having a memory issue very early on, it was replaced and the nice woman from nintendo support gave me a free copy of excite truck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Varik wrote: »
    H

At some point that doesn't count.

Got a case, 1 hard drive, a fan controller, and 1 fan that's from the original build.

Before i got broadband which was not all that long ago it still had a 56k modem from an old Pentium 2 gateway in it.

Well it was last year that I started replacing parts. So up till tha point it was completely stock with no faults :) Id say them parts would have kept going for another year or two

Danonino. wrote: »
    Out of every machine I've owned the console that has started up first time, with no fiddling is the GameCube I bought in June 2002 :)
    What a machine. It has fallen down two flights of stairs, been kept in a damp boot of a car for 2 weeks by accident, moved house 4 times, yet when you press the power button it comes on like it should. That Gamecube is a warrior.

Nintendo invoke some dark magic when making their hardware, it's the only explanation for consistently producing stuff that just won't die.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,865 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Except for the NES. Whoever designed the cartridge loading system should be shot. It absolutely ruins the 72 pin connector and needs to be replaced constantly. Teh top loader works fine but doesn't look anywhere near as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Xbox - 3 years now, have not touched it apart from the very rare vacuum.

PS3 - onto my 2nd now; 1st 60Gig fat got the old yellow eye curse after around 3.5 years from launch. PS3 slim is going fine since then, just upgraded the 120G HDD to 1TB - again vacuum infrequently. All I can say is thank god for backups. Still registered with 2 PS3's online, think you need to de-register on the original device which is not possible with the burn out.

Go through cycles of playing one vs the other - for the moment the PS3 has taken a hammering this year - 1st was Skyrim, then Dark Souls and now the downloaded Infamous 2. Gets a bit noisy after a while so will rest it every so often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

My Megadrive and Snes are still in top shape :P
    Current gen though, I bought my 360 back in 2008, and I've never had any problems with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,500 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Well it was last year that I started replacing parts. So up till tha point it was completely stock with no faults :) Id say them parts would have kept going for another year or two

I don't mean that you're extending the PC life and that it doesn't count, i mean that if you change enough it's not the same PC.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭saiint

Varik wrote: »
    I don't mean that you're extending the PC life and that it doesn't count, i mean that if you change enough it's not the same PC.

thats very true!
    its like what trigger did out of only fools and horses

hes a road sweeper
    he said he had his broom for like 17 years
    the same broom
    hes only ever changed the head on it 7 times and the stick 9 times but its still the same broom

that had me in stichs
    not the exact way how it went but was bloody gas

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

I'm on my 2nd PS3, current one has lasted 3 years after my release day PS3 packed in.

I know of one friend whso on his 3rd PS3 but I also have a friend who has one since release day that rarely gets played, maybe 2 hours a week the last 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭SamBrugha

I still have a working Playstation one & 2 in perfect condition which i still play occasionally! My Xbox isn't even a year old and one controller is already half way f@€ked! Seems like the amount of tech in them these days cause more problems than the old days.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

saiint wrote: »
    i would buy a pc but im real fussy
    if i went to buy one it would have to have the lasted tech out their to run it at max on everything
    probably would cost me between a grand and 1500
    dont have that kinda money until xmas :P
    That is no where near the latest tech; you'd be looking at around 500 for top of the line processor, a grand for the GTX690 before we go into motherboard, SSD hard drives, memory and what not. A grand would buy you a very good PC though if you were going for a step or two down from the latest and greatest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Rega

I've a release day ps3. Never gave me a minute's trouble.

Shouldn't have said that. It's going to die this evening isn't it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 223 ✭✭xxyyxx

I have a PS3 for 4 and a half years now and never had a bother with it. XBOX 360 for 2 years and it's the same, not a bother.

Advertisement