Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Counting

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The election officers started work at 6:30am yesterday and going straight to the count will probably run over a 24 hour shift

Let them go home, a tired officer isn't much good for accuracy and attention to detail.

Or we could hire another shift of staff to hand over to but then I'd be reading even more outrage threads on wasting public money and the confusion that would happen in the handover

I'm looking forward to tomorrow (well today as it's am). 5pm will do as well as 5am

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Teddy455

Does anyone know if there will be wifi at the count centres? CNW:Macroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lucifer_666

Your right 'feelingstressed' them poor Election Officers ...we better not push them too hard now or they may not be able for the next election in four years time:p in fact let's make sure that we phone their parents to bring them home and make sure they tuck them in nice and snug....after all a tired election officer is a dopey election officer:rolleyes:

And yes I'm being sarcastic if it wasn't blatantly obvious ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

The next election is around September, not four years ;)
    We need a new President

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lucifer_666

lol if its any consolation I won't expect them poor election officers to stay up for the september ones....its only the important elections that matter;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gingy

Does anyone know how much the election officers get paid? It's a long 15 hours doing nothing today and more counting tomorrow, but I heard some crazy figures and just wanted to check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

And another reason for starting the count once the polls close is that we wouldnt be in the ridiculous position of being held hostage by the seemingly only company to do an exit poll: RTE. who is using it to push their own 8am programme tomorrow.

The whole tension of the election is diluted by such a pause, maybe thats the point. But i liked the suggestion earlier that counting through the night makes it a time for people to gather and watch democracy in action; rather than this saturday midday delay.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Gingy wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much the election officers get paid?

Maybe thats why they're dragging the thing out as long as they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,278 ✭✭✭✭Victor

InTheTrees wrote: »
    :confused:

RTE need to be reprimanded. They should release the results they have when they get them rather than stringing the public along and forceing them to switch on rte at 8am.

How many people at rte know the exit poll results right now? Are they sharing them with the political parties? I bet they do.
    What does it matter? The votes are cast, releasing the exit poll not or in the morning changes nothing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Electricpie

The next election is around September, not four years ;)
    We need a new President

That's assuming that there will be an election. If it's a FG govt, even with independents, the Labour Party will probably insist on an election. However if it's a FG/Lab coalition they may not. If FF do very badly they may not be inclined to force an election so that leaves Sinn Féin and David Norris. If SF can get 20 members of the Óireachtas to nominate a candidate they could force one, all depends on how they do in the general election and subsequent Senate election. Norris will find it difficult to get 20 members of the Óireachtas unless one of the parties adopts him so his only remaining option would be to seek the support of city and county councils which Dana did in 1997.

Personally I think an election is essential for the Presidency. For too long we have had deals between the major parties to avoid elections - Paddy Hillery served 2 terms without ever being elected and Mary McAleese was able to nominate herself for the second term without an election.

• Advertisement
Advertisement