Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Install

• 24-09-2014 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭

Hi

I'm about to get Sky installed. I've a south facing garden, but I want the installer to place the disk on the chimney. There are examples of where they have placed the dish on the chimney in the area, but also terrible rush jobs where they are placed anywhere on the back of the house or in the case of the neighbour across the road, right int he middle of the front of their house.

Do I get a say where the disk goes?

Can I insist on white cable as we just got the front painted and the wire will need to come in the front.

Ta

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

The installer will not install the dish on the chimney. Or at least they shouldn't as it breaches their H&S rules about working at heights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

And to add to the above, on the offchance the installer does agree to install it on the chimney (unlikely as it is), should anything go wrong in the future (such as the dish moves out alighnment) whoever you then get out to fix it may themselves refuse to go on the roof leaving you stuck.

(Bear in mind, too, that the dish is most exposed on the chimney so there's a greater chance you will have to have it realigned - a particularly windy day could blow it out of alignment)

• Registered Users Posts: 982 ✭✭✭gabbo is coming

Ok, last question, how much "line of sight" does it need. I have a side entrance that would be partially blocked by next door - is it a trial and error with a sat finder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

If you can clearly see the sun at 10.20am* from the location, you should be ok.

* Handy website for roughly aligning to 28.2E by sun as the time will change throughout the year:
    http://www.satellite-calculations.com/Satellite/lookangles.htm

Oh and obviously don't look directly at the sun...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Crunchienut

The installer will not install the dish on the chimney. Or at least they shouldn't as it breaches their H&S rules about working at heights.

Interesting. I had Sky installed at the end of May (Sky/Sierra installer) and it was put onto the chimney - I wasn't even asked. There were 2 installers and they used some sort of a safety harness to secure the ladder and the installer.

• Advertisement

Interesting. I had Sky installed at the end of May (Sky/Sierra installer) and it was put onto the chimney - I wasn't even asked. There were 2 installers and they used some sort of a safety harness to secure the ladder and the installer.

Its different if there are 2 installers, but there rarely is. As above, it can cause difficulties if a service call is necessary further down the line. A single installer should go above the second storey of the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Doesn't a dish above roof height also require planning permission the same way a dish attached to the front of a house does?

evilivor wrote: »
    Doesn't a dish above roof height also require planning permission the same way a dish attached to the front of a house does?

I'm not sure, but it would be up to the customer to ensure that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 165 ✭✭killintime

hi if your a south facing garden then the dish will fase east an they wont put it on the chimney but you be able to tell them were you want it with in reason

Its different if there are 2 installers, but there rarely is. As above, it can cause difficulties if a service call is necessary further down the line. A single installer should go above the second storey of the house.

When I got it installed less than a year ago a lone installer installed it on the chimney (fairly high two story house), it wasn't even discussed he had the ladder out and up against the wall by the time I came out to him. There was on old broken dish up there which he removed first and then added the new one.

• Advertisement

there is some that will do it but most will tell you its for h/s that they cant

killintime wrote: »
    there is some that will do it but most will tell you its for h/s that they cant

Minor last question

Can you ask for white coax rather than black from the LNB to indoors?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,673 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

evilivor wrote: »

Yes but it never seems to be enforced. Attached is from Cork City Council.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭winston_1

Minor last question

Can you ask for white coax rather than black from the LNB to indoors?

Of course you can ask. Whether you will get it is another question. He may not have it in his van. Also bear in mind white is less resistant to UV light from the sun.

You can always paint black cable the exact matching white shade of you house after installation.

they norm is black as they have to bye it them self as sky no longer supplies them with any of the item they need to install your sky

killintime wrote: »
    they norm is black as they have to bye it them self as sky no longer supplies them with any of the item they need to install your sky

So I checked where the sun was at 1030 this morning and there wasn't line of sight to where I want to put dish

If installer comes out and we can't agree on suitable place for dish, can I still cancel contract?

not to shur on the contract part as when you sing up for sky you sing the contract before the installer comes out as for the dish as long as there no big trees about to block the singel it will go up almost anywere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

So I checked where the sun was at 1030 this morning and there wasn't line of sight to where I want to put dish

According to satellite-calculations.com, linked to in an earlier post, sun azimuth will match satellite azimuth around 1020. Also says that the sun will be lower in the sky than the satellites (just under 9 degrees elevation v. over 21 for the satellites).

You can also take a look at dishpointer.com Enter your location/ find your location on the map &, in the bar titled 'All Satellites | Motorized Systems | Multi-LNB Setups:' choose 28.2E ASTRA 2A etc.

This will draw a line on the map giving direction to the satellites. If there is good high-res. imagery, you can zoom in & pick out different dish mounting locations. There is also a 'line of sight checker' that will show you the max. height an obstacle can be at points along the line.

If installer comes out and we can't agree on suitable place for dish, can I still cancel contract?

You would have a cooling off period

You would have a cooling off period

Installed

Put it on chimney

White coax.

He did a fine job

• Advertisement

good nice to see you got it sorted out

Advertisement