Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have to decline course offer as not eligible for BTEA

Options
  • 16-09-2014 7:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭

Hi

Just found out today that I am not eligible for BTEA because the FETAC level 5 course I was applying for is the same level as my leaving cert which means I am not progressing in my education.

I now cannot accept the offer because I have no finance to put me through the course.
    I am 20 years old and I am only after being off for two years due to illness and now it looks like it will be a third year off looking for work which really means bored at home as there are no jobs out there.

That's what I get for trying to better myself.

Very disappointed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Have you tried to apply for a grant with SUSI?

What was the Fetac course you were applying for and in which college?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭The Friendly Newcomer

Sup08 wrote: »
    Have you tried to apply for a grant with SUSI?

What was the Fetac course you were applying for and in which college?

I have already completed first year of a level 8 two years ago so I don't think I'm eligible for a grant.

It is Childcare in Ballinode college in Sligo.

Students that start an Undergraduate course but do not enter the second year of the course are eligible to return to PLC.

But when you return to Undergraduate studies and progressing your education, the 1 year period of study will apply if you return to the first year of an undergraduate course within five years of your studies/time in education.

Here is the part of the scheme that applies to you? ( I have only taken out the part that applies)

Having previously attended, but not completed, any undergraduate
    course at Level 8 of the framework of qualifications, or equivalent,
    an applicant will—

(iii) be eligible to be considered for a grant to pursue an approved
    post leaving certificate course where no more than one year was
    completed on an undergraduate course at Level 8 of the framework
    of qualifications, or

Here is the part of the scheme that applies to you? ( I have only taken out the part that applies)

Having previously attended, but not completed, any undergraduate
    course at Level 8 of the framework of qualifications, or equivalent,
    an applicant will—

(iii) be eligible to be considered for a grant to pursue an approved
    post leaving certificate course where no more than one year was
    completed on an undergraduate course at Level 8 of the framework
    of qualifications, or

Oh okay, thanks for that, i'll look into that.

However then my problem will come into affect when I go into 1st year if an undergraduate course next year.
    I would have to cover the fees and the maintenance payments where if I got BTEA I would only have to pay the fees as I would get it next year as well.

• Advertisement

Oh okay, thanks for that, i'll look into that.

However then my problem will come into affect when I go into 1st year if an undergraduate course next year.
    I would have to cover the fees and the maintenance payments where if I got BTEA I would only have to pay the fees as I would get it next year as well.

Yes, this would be an issue for your BTEA as long as you are in education.

Also attending a PLC/Fetac course or any course that may lead to a major award on the NFQ is counted as education and is considered when trying to apply to be a second chance student (5 year break).

Yes, this would be an issue for your BTEA as long as you are in education.

Also attending a PLC/Fetac course or any course that may lead to a major award on the NFQ is counted as education and is considered when trying to apply to be a second chance student (5 year break).

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look into it. One way around it by getting into a level 6 so i've made some enquiries and waiting for the replies.

Thanks for the advice. I'll have a look into it. One way around it by getting into a level 6 so i've made some enquiries and waiting for the replies.

Your period of study would apply to all undergraduate course not matter what level. (higher certificate 6, BA level 7 or BA hons Level 8)

Your period of study would apply to all undergraduate course not matter what level. (higher certificate 6, BA level 7 or BA hons Level 8)

I've been told that the reason I am not getting the BTEA is because I am not progressing in my education. Leaving cert and FETAC 5 are both level 5's.

I've been told that the reason I am not getting the BTEA is because I am not progressing in my education. Leaving cert and FETAC 5 are both level 5's.

Leaving cert is a minor level 5 and PLC/Fetac should be major.

You can apply for a PLC 6 and may be eligible but when progressing back to undergraduate levels you will have a period of study as outlined above.

• Advertisement

Leaving cert is a minor level 5 and PLC/Fetac should be major.

You can apply for a PLC 6 and may be eligible but when progressing back to undergraduate levels you will have a period of study as outlined above.

So I won't be able to go for a new undergraduate course next year if I pass my FETAC level 6?

You can apply for a course but if you enter first year, you will not be eligible for fees until you complete your period of study or you get advanced entry to the second year of a course at undergraduate level.

You can apply for a course but if you enter first year, you will not be eligible for fees until you complete your period of study or you get advanced entry to the second year of a course at undergraduate level.

I was told that I would not be eligible for first year fees or maintenance but I would for 2nd, 3rd and 4th fees and maintenance because I have never entered those years in any course before.
    That is what I took from a conversation with SUSI.

I was told that I would not be eligible for first year fees or maintenance but I would for 2nd, 3rd and 4th fees and maintenance because I have never entered those years in any course before.
    That is what I took from a conversation with SUSI.

Yes, as in my last comment.
    you will not be eligible for fees until you complete your period of study (year1) r you get advanced entry to the second year of a course at undergraduate level

Yes, as in my last comment.
    you will not be eligible for fees until you complete your period of study (year1) r you get advanced entry to the second year of a course at undergraduate level

Sorry I took you up wrong. I thought if you drop out of a course you lose the complete grant no matter the time you left.

If I get BTEA this year it means that I wouldn't need the 1st year maintenance grant anyway so I would only have to cover the 1st year fees.

I don't think I would be able to cover both fees and maintenance in 1st year which is why I kind of need the BTEA this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rml20131

Hi could any of you help me please if at all possible! I recently applied for JSA so that I could then apply for btea, before that I was on a fas course so that would count as my social welfare payment towards applying for btea. Today I received a letter in the post telling me My JSA means test and that I will be deducted €17 . that's all it said, does this mean I will qualify for btea? Does it mean I will receive back payment for the job seekers allowance or that I will receive a payment any time soon? Sorry for all the questions I'm just so confused, they are aware I have started college so I doubt they will be paying me JSA :/ anyone been in a similar position? Help!

Normally you still have to meet the criteria to be eligible for BTEA, but if you are on JSA and eligible for BTEA it transfers straight to BTEA.

I'm not much informed on the BTEA side of things, I must get more information before I can really give you good information. Try start a thread and Joeytheparrot seems to know more.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,814 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

rml20131 wrote: »
    Hi could any of you help me please if at all possible! I recently applied for JSA so that I could then apply for btea, before that I was on a fas course so that would count as my social welfare payment towards applying for btea. Today I received a letter in the post telling me My JSA means test and that I will be deducted €17 . that's all it said, does this mean I will qualify for btea? Does it mean I will receive back payment for the job seekers allowance or that I will receive a payment any time soon? Sorry for all the questions I'm just so confused, they are aware I have started college so I doubt they will be paying me JSA :/ anyone been in a similar position? Help!

I think you should probably drop into your local welfare office and ask for clarification.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rml20131

Received another letter today telling me I will be back payed my JSA from 25th of august and my payment will be in the post office tomorrow and that I am getting a reduced rate of €127, I'm slightly scared to spend the money incase they turn round an say I'm not actually intitled to it because I've started college. Wish I could just get an answer on my btea I'm so stressed waiting!

Advertisement