Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE sucks

• 23-11-2008 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭

Its 5pm on sunday afternoon. The entertainment options on RTE are as of now, f**kin "Murder she wrote" and the FAI Ford cup final on RTE 2. Ooooh and Peil na mban on TG4! Man, is RTE just getting worse or what. Saw "Reelin in the years" yesterday from 1984 and it showed Charles Mitchell(veteran newscaster) doing his last news broadcast. Even back then the picture quality was better. Everyone on our live shows, the News, Late late show look like ass! The lighting, backdrop, camerawork are horrible. Just compare them to BBC or any relatively decent network. Compare Jonathan Ross to The Late late show, no comparison.The Late, late show just looks BAD. And whats with the zooming into peoples pores??? Jesus. I pay an exorbitant licence fee for this ****?
    I actually really want to have a national station we can be proud of with well produced Irish programmes but there has to be a serious cull at RTE or a professional attitude has to be instilled there. Why cant we have shows that look as good as BBC, channel 4 etc Where are the writers, actors? "Fair city"?? Phewwwwwwwwwwwww.

(having not rejected Father Ted doesn't make RTE any better, by the way)

I f*************kin HATE "Murder she wrote"!

AAAAAARRgh!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

zeppe wrote: »
    Dont hold out much hope when the best Irish comedy EVER, "Father Ted" was rejected at RTE, thats another story though..

Here we go again...

me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

"Father Ted" was rejected at RTE
    No, it wasn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Ever consider other viewers might be enjoying the programmes on. Get a life or read a book.
    "Father Ted" was rejected at RTE, thats another story though..

A complete lie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭minxie

Its 5pm on sunday afternoon. The entertainment options on RTE are as of now, f**kin "Murder she wrote" and the FAI Ford cup final on RTE 2. Ooooh and Peil na mban on TG4! Man, is RTE just getting worse or what. Saw "Reelin in the years" yesterday from 1984 and it showed Charles Mitchell(veteran newscaster) doing his last news broadcast. Even back then the picture quality was better. Everyone on our live shows, the News, Late late show look like ass! The lighting, backdrop, camerawork are horrible. Just compare them to BBC or any relatively decent network. Compare Jonathan Ross to The Late late show, no comparison.The Late, late show just looks BAD. And whats with the zooming into peoples pores??? Jesus. I pay an exorbitant licence fee for this ****?
    I actually really want to have a national station we can be proud of with well produced Irish programmes but there has to be a serious cull at RTE or a professional attitude has to be instilled there. Why cant we have shows that look as good as BBC, channel 4 etc Where are the writers, actors? "Fair city"?? Phewwwwwwwwwwwww.
    Dont hold out much hope when the best Irish comedy EVER, "Father Ted" was rejected at RTE, thats another story though..

AAAAAARRgh!
    aaaaaaaaaghhhhhh,,,,
    i like jessica fletcher!!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭zeppe

Internets: Serious business.

I stand corrected, they didn't offer to RTE, so I read. I suppose I have too many RTE-hating friends.

It doesn't make RTE any better, though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

There defo should be some sort of "Godwins Law" for people who say RTE turned down Fr. Ted.

That said tho it does speak volumes that the Fr.Ted team (in effect) turned RTE down!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 201 ✭✭angelfalling

I'm going to have to seriously agree. It's a Sunday afternoon-- how about a nice family movie or programming? Who wants to see Murder She Wrote reruns on a main network? Don't we get enough other crap cable channels that run this sort of sludge?

I don't even watch that much TV, and I'd like to sit down and see something nice on the weekends. What am I paying my TV license for? RTE can't even get a decent backdrop together for the news...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

Its 5pm on sunday afternoon. The entertainment options on RTE are as of now, f**kin "Murder she wrote" and the FAI Ford cup final on RTE 2. Ooooh and Peil na mban on TG4! Man, is RTE just getting worse or what.

TG4 isn't part of RTE. Peil na mBan ar TG4 provides three of TG4 objectives

1. To promote the Irish Lanuage.
    2. To provide Irish Lanuage programming to an Irish Lanuage Audience
    3. To support minority sporting events (They even sponsor the game). <<<< This is a Public Service remit, which you could suggest RTE TWO does by providing coverage of FAI Ford Cup.

I actually really want to have a national station we can be proud of with well produced Irish programmes but there has to be a serious cull at RTE or a professional attitude has to be instilled there. Why cant we have shows that look as good as BBC, channel 4 etc Where are the writers, actors? "Fair city"??

I have to agree. I am proud of TG4 for what they do on their budget. Dissappointed by RTE. Angry at TV3 for not doing more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

TG4 do a great job on the budget they have

And another benefit is original programs like Ros na Run or Afraic are giving employment to actors and production crews. There can't be that may opportunities for script writers and other talented people to be given a chance and they've done a good job.
    Might even be a tourist benefit......maybe

And even taking documentaries and giving them an Irish voiceover is very simple and works well.
    And we'd never see the minor (as in lower interest, not minor level) GAA or even some LOI games without it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It has sucked for some time now. I'm disgusted they are doing a special on Bertie too. If I wanted to watch a documentary on a gangster I'd tune into the Al Capone specials on the History Channel.

• Advertisement

On the Murder she wrote issue!!!! They could at least show Monk, a more up to dat version of the programme.

And if we are comparing it to the BBC (which I don't suggest we ever do) doesn't BBC ONE often show Murder She Wrote at the weekend?????

It has sucked for some time now. I'm disgusted they are doing a special on Bertie too. If I wanted to watch a documentary on a gangster I'd tune into the Al Capone specials on the History Channel.

Or Mob Merica on TG4 :)

I don't know if I would be discussed that they are doing a special on Bertie, it is a well produced documentry and really shows how Bertie honestly thinks he never did anything wrong while everyone else seem to thing he should have done things differently!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

TG4 do a great job of repeating the same old cowboy films over and over again!

navalus wrote: »

TG4 spend 3million on imported shows even in comparision to Channel 6 who spend about 7million they do alot better. Anyone else notice that C6 only seem to have the first 2 season of CSI, The Wire and 24?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Thank you TG4 for giving us Ros na Run and those lovely lovely twins! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭navalus

And thank you Tg4 for wasting taxpayers money on South Park in Irish!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Elmo wrote: »
    TG4 spend 3million on imported shows
    and really interesting ones
    Oz , Fastlane, The Wire, Carnival.
    navalus wrote:
    As for TG4 doing cowboy films, it's a niche market and it means that the other Irish channels will be showing something else.

Murder she wrote , holy jeabus I can't stand her

Advertisement