Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RTE stopping a movie for the News.

• 05-01-2007 2:15am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I don't watch RTE much these days but I had Kill Bill two on tonight and It must have been the first movie I have watched on RTE in a few years.To my surprise they are still stopping movies for the News,I hate this and it pissed me of big time I would not have watched the movie if I was aware of this.

And it was no quick 5min news update I would say it was on for the best part of 30min.My question is does this practice turn you off watching a movie...?Also do ITV still do this...?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

On Christmas when the same movies are on both RTE and BBC, I watch them on BBC to avoid ad breaks. Movies should have no breaks or news bulletins.

The thing with RTE I can't understand is. When they show a movie or even some programmes. They have a sponsor, ad revenue AND the license fee. They should surely afford to play a continuous movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Yeah, it's feckin mad annoying, would normally turn me off watching the movie but I hadn't seen Kill Bill 2 in ages, totally ruins the run of the movie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

It's pretty annoying to see the least. something that is a bit outdated and should be stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

ITV do it as well. Obviously advertisers are more important than viewers for these stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

ElNino wrote:
    ITV do it as well. Obviously advertisers are more important than viewers for these stations.
    Since when is the news advertising?

I hate stopping films for full length programs. Commerical breaks I can deal with, as long as there's only two or three an hour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

I like the way RTE do that because it usually caters to my evening routines. Tonight I cooked my dinner when the news came on. Whenever an add break comes on I usually find myself running around the house which is also why I can't stand watching films on the BBC, especially the really long ones like Titanic or Schindler's List!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

i have stopped watching films on RTÉ because of these stupid interruptions for news
    ElNino wrote:
    Obviously advertisers are more important than viewers for these stations.

thats where the money is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Linford

What's even more annoying because of the news interuption during films on RTE is that if you sky+ a film it doesn't always record the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

Every time they do it there is a post here complaining about it and every time everybody else agrees that taking breaks in the middle of a film for the news is absolute sh1te. What really gets me is that if News2 has to be on at ~11.30 every night why not start the film at 9 instead of 9.30 that way the film is over before the news comes on. Instead the put a filler program in at 9 (Father Ted or Friends or something) then start the film at 9.30 then take a break for the news. It drives me crazy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

ah yeah its a pure ballls, id love to know the ratings before and after the news, as im sure theres a large chunk of people who just switch off,especially if its like lasnite when i just fecked off to bed!!
    at least they left my favourite bit of the movie on before the news where she pokes out ell's eye :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Was at home for xmas and I could see that RTE are as great as ever! Would hate to be stuck with just RTE if there was ever a sports event on that would overlap with the 6:01 or 9:00 news... and why are they still playing them bells at 6:00?! Did RTE manage to include the subtitles for Kill Bill?? Watched Love Actually over the xmas and they didn't include any subtitles for the Portuguese parts... or maybe everyone has become fluent in Portuguese since I left :rolleyes:

has anyone contacted RTÉ? i am wondering what reason they have for the news interruption

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

ElNino wrote:

If it wasn't for advertisers/sponsors, they wouldn't be able to afford to show the movie.

Even Film 4 show adverts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

RTE have never figured out what triggers a viewer to change channels. It's so easy to put on another channel for the half-hour and just forget to go back.

Slightly off topic. How many people switch on the BBC News when the Angelus starts and never switch back a minute later? Another winner from RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

I am pretty sure they have to show the news as part of their licence aggreement, they could rescehdule things to avoid it though.

Hagar wrote:
    How many people switch on the BBC News when the Angelus starts and never switch back a minute later?

not me. the BBC dont cover Irish news so i don't bother with it when RTÉ have a news broadcast

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

It is ridiculous - totally ruined Kill Bill last night and Harry Potter over the Christmas too. :mad:

jester77 wrote:
    Watched Love Actually over the xmas and they didn't include any subtitles for the Portuguese parts... or maybe everyone has become fluent in Portuguese since I left :rolleyes:

I was starting to think it was just me that noticed this. Like, there was definitely subtitles for the Portugese in the past wasn't there?? I thought I was going mad and had imagined knowing what she said to Colin Firth. I even googled for some sort of translation. :o (I know, I'm sad... but I love the film...)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

nando wrote:
    I was starting to think it was just me that noticed this. Like, there was definitely subtitles for the Portugese in the past wasn't there?? I thought I was going mad and had imagined knowing what she said to Colin Firth. I even googled for some sort of translation. :o (I know, I'm sad... but I love the film...)

I hadn't seen the film before but my sister had and insisted there was subtitles for the portugese when she'd seen it. Strange if they decided just to leave them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

The DVD has subtitles for that part and IIRC there's a bit of extra humour due to his poor Portugese.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 960 ✭✭✭:|

jester77 wrote:
    Was at home for xmas and I could see that RTE are as great as ever! Would hate to be stuck with just RTE if there was ever a sports event on that would overlap with the 6:01 or 9:00 news... and why are they still playing them bells at 6:00?! Did RTE manage to include the subtitles for Kill Bill?? Watched Love Actually over the xmas and they didn't include any subtitles for the Portuguese parts... or maybe everyone has become fluent in Portuguese since I left :rolleyes:
    Luckily I knew the translation off by heart:)

Obsessed....me?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭Quinnsey

The thing that irritates me even more than this is when they completely chop off the credits of a movie and instead stick in a big stupid looking computer image saying ‘The End’. It’s incredible jarring – one minute your watching the movie and all of sudden up it pops and off they go to the adverts! Not only is it terribly disrespectful, it just looks unprofessional. I like watching the end credits, they at least give you a chance to emerge properly from the film and I like hearing the score. No doubt they do this so that they can fit even more adverts into their schedule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Very true, but its now standard practice, when did the credits last roll unmolested on a TV drama? Its always some damned message about whats on next or "if you have been effected by tonights programme phone..." etc.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Why the problem with RTE? IMHO they are by far the most professional TV station on these islands. BBC and RTE beat all the others hands down.

i agree Danno. you could do a lot worse than RTÉ

ITV and TV3 spring to mind

anywho my reason for coming onto this thread, i emailed RTÉ this morning asking why do they show the news during the movie and they responded
    RT&#201 wrote: »
    Thank you for e-mailing us in relation to the splitting of last night's Screen Two movie 'Kill Bill' Vol 2' in order to show the RTÉ News and European weather bulletins.
    For competitive reasons we schedule Thursday's movies at 2130 in order to give the audience moving away from the Nine O'Clock News an alternative to Prime Time, the programme usually scheduled in the 2130 slot on RTÉ One. Previously movies on RTÉ Two started at 2100 resulting in a sizeable percentage of the RTÉ One audience deciding not tune in as they would have missed the opening 30 minutes. The later start time has made Thursday one of our strongest nights of the week in terms of audience share.
    The downside, unfortunately, is that movies with a longer running time such as 'Kill Bill', are split for the news and weather bulletins. We accept that some viewers find this practice frustrating, and I will be pleased to include your observations in this regard in our Audience Log, which is circulated for information and discussion to senior RTÉ programme management.
    We appreciate knowing your views and would like to assure you that all feedback is welcomed and helps to inform future programming decisions.

i think more people should email them and tell how they feel about it
    complaints@rte.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Hagar wrote:
    The DVD has subtitles for that part and IIRC there's a bit of extra humour due to his poor Portugese.
    Aye, the exchange between Aurelia and Jamie where he's eating the pastry (she says he's getting chubbier, he says he's lucky he doesn't put on weight) and his pidgin Portuguese after he arrives in Portugal. Watched it last night. And once wrote a review cum personal ramble about how underrated the movie was by the NY Times. Philistines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Isn't stopping a film for the news a recent thing on RTE? And by recent I mean it's only started happening in the past few years.

If ya wanna see a channel run badly then take a look at Channel 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭lodgepole

Mossy Monk wrote:
    anywho my reason for coming onto this thread, i emailed RTÉ this morning asking why do they show the news during the movie and they responded

i think more people should email them and tell how they feel about it
    complaints@rte.ie
    Their response makes sense. Fair play for getting back to you so quickly and with such detail. They could easily have fobbed you off. It's a relatively good reason to split the film. The question is whether they lost more viewers by splitting Kill Bill than they would have by delaying or not showing News2.

Advertisement