Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SUSI 'education progression' query

Options
  • 29-09-2014 5:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,
    I'm trying to assess my eligibility to apply for SUSI funding for next year and I'm getting stuck on the education progression part.

I have a BA from a UK university (2006), for which I received full maintenance grant. I then got an MA (2009), also from a UK university, for which I was not eligible for funding.

I am now looking at retraining as a social worker and would have to do the 2 year Masters in Social work at UCC. However, it's the same level as my previous MA so therefore does not represent 'progression'. However, SUSI says you may be eligible if your previous course was over 5 years ago - which mine was. Also, I didn't receive any funding for it because it was in the UK.

Has anyone had success getting funding using the 'over 5 years ago' caveat?

Any info would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

However, SUSI says you may be eligible if your previous course was over 5 years ago - which mine was. Also, I didn't receive any funding for it because it was in the UK.

Sorry for the bad news but the 5 years rule (second chance student) is only if you did not obtain the qualification (your query is a Masters).
    If you have a masters at the same level then you must be progressing to a PHD or above to be eligible for further funding even if you did not receive funding for your previous qualification.

Also the maximum period of study at post-graduate level is 4 years, with or without funding.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aoifemay

Sup08 wrote: »

Also the maximum period of study at post-graduate level is 4 years, with or without funding.

Thanks for your reply, that's what I initially thought but there was something in the way it was worded on the Susi website that made me think it didn't just apply to 'second chance' students.

Also, what do you mean re: above quote?

Cheers!

The maximum period of study at post-graduate level is 4 years.
    If you do a 2 years post-graduate diploma, then a 2 years masters, there is no more funding provided to study at any other level. This includes study where the student is still progressing.
    This rule also applies even if the student never received funding for the diploma or masters.
    Part - time courses are also included and the ects points are counted as the amount of time spent. Generally 2 years part-time would be counted as 1 year full-time.

Also I think repeat periods are counted (not 100% on this) where for example, a student that repeats year 1 of a masters, this is counted as 2 years study of the 4 allowed.

If a student had year 1 studied at undergrad level 8 and repeated this year twice, they will still be eligible for funding once they enter year 2 for the remaining 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aoifemay

So, what you're saying is you can't get funding for a 4 year PhD on top of a one year MA? That seems totally ridiculous as PhDs are always 3-4 years long, and you usually (not always) need an MA to get onto one!

Sorry but I meant to say in my previous comments that progressing from a post-graduate diploma to a masters.
    I have corrected my previous posts.
    For instance, you attend a 1 year post-graduate diploma and a 2 years masters, then you would only be eligible for 1 year at Phd even if you received no funding for either previous post-graduate course.

• Advertisement
Advertisement