Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unplugging PVR on regular basis. Damaging to the HDD?

• 25-09-2014 4:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭

I tend to switch off all electronics at night by ticking off the power switch at the plug (which then disables the several devices I have connected up to it).

One of the devices is a HDR1000S PVR.

Occasionally when I go to unplug the PVR there is a humming sound from the HDR of a hard-disk spinning or a fan, even when the device is on standby (not recording or anything).

Should I assume it's not a good idea to switch it off while this is happening?
    I can move it to a different plug and leave it on standby if required, but just curious if this might be bad for it in the long run.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

They are running more power-up and power-down cycles, yes it shortens their lifespan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,870 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Out of curiosity would unplugging non-moving-part electronics have such an issue?

e.g. LCD TV / Stereo / Router / etc

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 6,522 Mod ✭✭✭✭Irish Steve

Any device will surge power on start up, in theory its not massively detrimental, but if the device has a low power standby option, that's likely to be more friendly to the device than a cold power up. Also probably helps keep the device more temperature stable, which again, is less stressful that regular cycling.

On a disc based device, (PVR) it will be more stable left in standby than being cold cycled, and most boxes do some internal checking and housekeeping when in standby, interrupting such activities with a power down can cause corruption, I've seen plenty of times where a Sky plus box corrupts as a result of a power cut, which is effectively what you do when you turn the power off at night.

Sky boxes tend to receive updates during the overnight period, and they can do that even when in standby, but if they are off, then they cant receive such updates.

Shore, if it was easy, everybody would be doin it.😁

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Peppa Cig

Any device will surge power on start up, in theory its not massively detrimental, but if the device has a low power standby option, that's likely to be more friendly to the device than a cold power up. Also probably helps keep the device more temperature stable, which again, is less stressful that regular cycling.

On a disc based device, (PVR) it will be more stable left in standby than being cold cycled, and most boxes do some internal checking and housekeeping when in standby, interrupting such activities with a power down can cause corruption, I've seen plenty of times where a Sky plus box corrupts as a result of a power cut, which is effectively what you do when you turn the power off at night.

Sky boxes tend to receive updates during the overnight period, and they can do that even when in standby, but if they are off, then they cant receive such updates.

Humax also recieves software updates during night when left on/in standby.

Why are you turning them all off op? All designed to be left in standby, electrical consumption in standby for modern appliances is negliable.

I'd say that any required updates would be downloaded as and when the device is connected to the internet, rather than specifically at night.

I'll leave the PVR in standby mode to save on the power-up surge, but I turn off my modem as those are electricity hogs so the download issue is irrelevant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭ei9go

The switch mode power supply in most modern electronics does not take kindly to being switched off every night.

For the life of the device you probably should leave them in standby.

Most TV's these days use so little electricity in stand by that it is pointless to switch them off at the plug.

ei9go wrote: »
    The switch mode power supply in most modern electronics does not take kindly to being switched off every night.

Got any link to back this up? (everywhere else I've looked seems to say there are no issues power-cycling devices with no moving parts)

It's not so much the cost of electricity I'm worried about but also the fact that the machines are still active in an unoccupied house (e.g. device is turned off at night and then only reactivated in the evening once home from work etc). Sure the risk of fire or electrical fault is minimal, but past experience has shown me such things can happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,004 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I would say it isn't.

Portable HDDs themselves are plugged into and out of PCs all the time, powering them up and down. No issues there.

Plus, the HDD on a PVR tends to stop after a period of inactivity. If you listen to it closely and its not recording anything it won't be turning. Starts up again whenever you hit live pause, start recording/playing back something.

I'd say overall, not a problem, although mine stays on standby all the time anyway.

NIMAN wrote: »
    Plus, the HDD on a PVR tends to stop after a period of inactivity. If you listen to it closely and its not recording anything it won't be turning. Starts up again whenever you hit live pause, start recording/playing back something.

Yep but I mentioned
    mrcheez wrote: »
    Occasionally when I go to unplug the PVR there is a humming sound from the HDR of a hard-disk spinning or a fan, even when the device is on standby (not recording or anything).

so there does occasionally seem to be a period after going to standby where the device is still whirring away.

My original idea was to unplug it 30 seconds or so after going into standby, but even sometimes it takes 5 minutes to power down (perhaps because of updates).

Anyway I've decided it makes sense to leave this guy on standby all the time. My TVs (plasma and LCD), iPod Docks, network bridges, consoles, LED backlights, etc that run in my "entertainment centres" I'll switch off at the plug.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 287 ✭✭coley

This might make your life easier
    Has one always on socket and four switched, switch off is triggered by sensing your TV IR on/off and shutting down sockets 30secs after.
    https://energenie4u.co.uk/index.php/catalogue/product/ENER009

-Coley.

• Advertisement

It's no big deal, there are only the 2 sets of plugs and I pass them on my way to bed :)

Interesting that there is a device that powers off items when in standby, so I guess it's fairly accepted that devices can be unplugged regularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I have most of my stuff on remote control sockets for about 4 years maybe a little longer.

Never had an issue with powering stuff off every night. I always put it in stand by mode first (well most of the time!). Had a UPC box with HDD and it was grand. Horizon box now has no HDD issues either but don't have that as long.

Advertisement