Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buy now or wait?

Options
  • 25-09-2012 2:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just a few questions regarding the Samsung Galaxy S3:

I am thinking of buying the Galaxy S3 but wondering should I wait off, thinking the price may come down with the arrival of the iPhone 5?

Are there any other android phones that would beat the S3 as an all rounder?

Is amazon.de the cheapest place to buy a phone Pay as You go?

Appreciate any advice you can give me!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Probably not much help as I don't have the S3 but I have used one a little and it was a really good performer. My only problem is that is 5 months old and a new one will probably arrive in 6 months time. The price does seem to have edged down a little already. Also the andriod jelly bean 4.1 update is/has rolled out to many customers already which from the reviews I've read really has made the s3 even slicker. I am thinking Galaxy Note 2 as one of my options which is a quantum leap away from my iphone 4s.

One question for you... can you order from amazon.de as apposed to amazon.co.uk, are you not reverted to the uk page. Stupid question but I have just never tried it?????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

No, you can buy from amazon.de. You will need to have the webpage either automatically translated or do it in chunks yourself though. I got my Lumia 800 from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

Thanks. One other question can you technically get caught for import duties or is it a EU thing and there isn't any?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Armaghmagic

Will have to read reviews on the Note 2 too, as it seems to be a good alternative. I bought my HTC Titan from amazon.de, took 3 days to deliver, fantastic service and about €60 cheaper than .co.uk

Also where is the best place to sell phones, envirofone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

sean72 wrote: »
    Thanks. One other question can you technically get caught for import duties or is it a EU thing and there isn't any?

The VAT rate will adjust slightly (not in your favour..) but you are not liable for anything else. It's not much either, the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,907 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

The only issue I would have with buying a phone outside of Ireland is that when I insert my sim, the mms won't work and I cannot send or receive picture messages.

Can anyone tell me if they have had the same issues and how you got them addressed?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

The only issue I would have with buying a phone outside of Ireland is that when I insert my sim, the mms won't work and I cannot send or receive picture messages.

Can anyone tell me if they have had the same issues and how you got them addressed?

You just need to enter the correct settings for your network. Some phones will do this for you, some networks will detect the change of phone, and send you a text with the settings. Either my its not a big deal.

Took the plunge and bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 16GB in Metallic Blue......delivery date Thursday October 4th!! Feck it you only live once. Anything I should do when I get it to make the most of it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

Some why i dthink these phones gonna get more expensive then lose value in short term,as people will be really disappointed with iphone5 after what ive seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 664 ✭✭✭barry75

Took the plunge and bought a Samsung Galaxy S3 16GB in Metallic Blue......delivery date Thursday October 4th!! Feck it you only live once. Anything I should do when I get it to make the most of it?

Where did you purchase?did you get it for a good price

Got it for €475 off Amazon.de. Also got a suction cup car holder and a silicone case for it and with credit card charges and taxes it came to €515 all in. Not bad I thought. Have to head off to work now, still hasn't arrived. Im guessing they come by courier and not the post man (I hope so anyway) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

A quick bump on this, as I'm also in the market for an S3.

This is probably a stupid question, but is there any difference to the phone sold by Amazon Germany and Amazon UK? Or is it simply the network settings changes that Davy mentioned above?

I presume at the least you'll get a 2-pin plug rather than 3... but that's not a problem.

OP -- has yours arrived yet? It's a handy way to save €40!

Hi Roy,

Yes you are right, you get a 2 pin plug but other than that its all the same. The voice recognition stuff was in German but a quick language change and we are spot on.

The phone arrived on Friday October 5th, just over 3 days after I ordered it.....would definitely recommend!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Roy Rogers

Cheers, thanks for the reply!

Gonna take the plunge tomorrow. Can't wait :D

Good luck with it Roy. Loving my phone so far!
    Fair bit of money but worth it for all its features and knowing you have the best of the best!

Advertisement