Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2013/14

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Kess73 wrote: »
    A quality centre back to play in the RCB role. Toure becomes back up, and so does Skrtel if he is still here.

CM I would be happy with a player good enough to give either Gerrard or Lucas a serious fight for their position, or a good young player with the potential to get a lot better but who would be good enough to handle a number of first team run outs this season.

Would have loved to have seen Casemiro join us had Real not snapped him up. He is physically strong, good tackler, good passer, quite mobile, strong in the air, and would have been a great understudy to Lucas, plus he is Brazilian so that would keep all the inho lovers happy.:)

I would rate Henderson capable of what your looking for there tbh.

I think he's a huge talent, and often over looked.

And then theres his attitude...

remember his celebration in Gerrards testimonial?? Swear he'd scored the winner in a CL final.

article-2384043-1B212B4E000005DC-175_634x425.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

shamrock55 wrote: »
    We havent even got him yet:rolleyes:

keep quiet captain buzzkill :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Kirby wrote: »
    It's a hard sell in here as most of you want to have his babies but I think in the cold light of day most Liverpool fans realise or at least a little worried he isn't the same following his injury. A new physical, quick presence would make your midfield a lot more formidable. I don't think this is Lucas.

And plenty that would have replaced him with someone like Dembele, and left big gaps behind them as they galloped up field.

I think he deserves to prove whether he is back to his best or not. At his age, it's not like he would have lost pace or anything, just a matter of confidence and regular games...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

A quality centre back to play in the RCB role. Toure becomes back up, and so does Skrtel if he is still here.

CM I would be happy with a player good enough to give either Gerrard or Lucas a serious fight for their position, or a good young player with the potential to get a lot better but who would be good enough to handle a number of first team run outs this season.

Would have loved to have seen Casemiro join us had Real not snapped him up. He is physically strong, good tackler, good passer, quite mobile, strong in the air, and would have been a great understudy to Lucas, plus he is Brazilian so that would keep all the inho lovers happy.:)

The 1st One, we could probably have.

But no chance on the 2nd One. Like I've said before, we won't touch CM this Year, the moment Gerrard signed the Extension.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

T-K-O wrote: »
    like most I really hope lucas finds his form. However IMO Gerrard / Lucas / Allen just doesn't work.

Of course you are right, but as was made evident by Nox's extreme reaction to the suggestion that Lucas isn't up to it.....people let their hearts rule their heads. The emotional attachment to the player overrides the thought of upgrading them. You could see it clear as day with Reina in that his performance level kept dropping and talk of replacing him was shouted down until after several years, it just couldn't be ignored.

Should it really take that long?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

El Inho wrote: »
    I would probably agree with Kess on this one, but the way things are looking Willian will be the last bit of business. Can't see any new links opening up considering BR's "1-2 signings" that he mentioned in the presser.

defensively we're light. Well not light as such, but lacking a little quality.

I think we are quite light in the centre of midfield and in the centre of defence.

We saw the impact Lucas being out had on midfield, and we had seen that a few seasons in a row now.

Last season was the first one in a bit where Gerrard had no real injury concerns, same goes for Agger.

So if we go into this season with the CM and CB options we have and take one major injury to each department, then all our cover issues from the last couple of seasons resurface pretty quickly.

We currently have one CB that most think is a nailed on starter in Agger rather than having two nailed on starters. Take Agger out and we have Skrtel and Toure for the season with all the backup to them being untested at CB in the EPL.

If Lucas gets another injury this season and we are back to the Allen/Gerrard pairing of the first half of last season, or a Henderson/Gerrard pairing. Neither pairing inspires a lot of confidence in me for long term usage tbh.

Just think that our pool of players to choose from at CB and CM is light on quality and very light on genuine cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

The 1st One, we could probably have.

But no chance on the 2nd One. Like I've said before, we won't touch CM this Year, the moment Gerrard signed the Extension.

Can't see a CM this window, but definitely the No1 priority for summer 2014.

I do want to see a CB signed though (Sahko please), I don't think Coates is going to make it and Skrtel is just too error prone

• Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

Dickerty wrote: »
    For what position? I already called out CB as a small gap, surely every other position is taken care of?

I think theres a massive gap in centre mid to be honest. I dont believe that either Lucas nor Allen are good enough quality

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

Of course you are right, but as was made evident by Nox's extreme reaction to the suggestion that Lucas isn't up to it.....people let their hearts rule their heads. The emotional attachment to the player overrides the thought of upgrading them. You could see it clear as day with Reina in that his performance level kept dropping and talk of replacing him was shouted down until after several years, it just couldn't be ignored.

Should it really take that long?

I tend to blame all 3 rather than just Lucas.. They all seem to do just an OK job.

Dickerty wrote: »
    I think he deserves to prove whether he is back to his best of not. At his age, it's not like he would have lost pace or anything, just a matter of confidence and regular games...

To be honest he looks noticeably slower to me. I remember a quick player snapping at the heels of Yaya Toure ....that was nowhere to be seen at the tail end of last season.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'd love to see one of those win % stats with and without Lucas for the last couple of seasons. I'd say it would make quite startling reading. It could be coincidence of course, but our best runs in the last 2 seasons have coincided with him being in the team, even when people say he is performing below his best. He only came on at half time in the Southampton game when the damage was done anyhow I think.

Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge question and answer session

Young Liverpool and England forward reveals his sporting influences, what tracks get him going and who has the biggest banter at the club.

Daniel_Sturridge_2640376b.jpg

Where have you been on holiday this summer?
    Miami and Jamaica. I always like to go back to the homeland in the Caribbean. It’s where my family are from and it’s a beautiful place.

What sport have you watched this summer?
    The Confederations Cup and The Ashes. Also the MLB Finals. I’m a Miami Heat fan but not a glory hunter. I met LeBron James in Miami. There’s much respect there.

What tunes are you listening to?
    Party Next Door and Jesse Ware. I love hip hop and the Jamaican influence in my dance music.

What is your favourite TV show?
    Luther. Idris Elba is the black James Bond. I loved him in The Wire too. He’s got the full range. I’m telling you, when Daniel Craig steps aside he should be the man. The best of British.

Favourite film. And film star. And if someone had to play you in a movie?
    Any Given Sunday, for its inspiration. My favourite actors are Jamie Foxx and Denzel Washington. I’d be happy for Denzel to play me.

Favourite other sportsman ever (apart from Muhammad Ali)
    Floyd Mayweather. A supreme entertainer. A guy who was great to listen to, always delivered and who matured with age. Good example to follow.

Favourite reading material – book/magazines?
    The Bible and there’s a book called Prisoner to the Streets by Robyn Travis. I have a signed copy from the author.

Best place to go out – up north – and down south
    In Liverpool all the players love the San Carlo restaurant. In London it would be Novikov restaurant and bar or Jack’s bar.

What is your car – and what was your first car?
    I drive a Porsche Panamera now, but my first car was a rented I Series BMW. Make sure you stress it was rented!

Most embarrassing moment in career?
    I’m not sure if embarrassing is the right word, but missing a penalty for Team GB at the Olympics was probably a low point for me as a player.

IN LIVERPOOL SQUAD WHO IS ...

Biggest poser/spends most time grooming?
    Jose Enrique. I feel bad for saying so, but really he’s streets ahead of any of the competition on that score.

Worst clothes?
    Sorry, but it’s Jose again! Listen, I’ve got big love for the guy but sometimes he just does not dress himself right. What can I say?

Biggest headphones?
    We’ve got a fair share of those who like their tunes and I’d probably have to say my headphones are as big as any. But it doesn’t mean I’ve got the biggest head!

Keenest in training/biggest health freak?
    Steve Gerrard and Lucas are the best trainers. Lucas really puts the hours in and earns everyone’s respect. The health freak is Brad Jones. He loves that protein.

Funniest – intentionally/unintentionally
    We have a good banter in our squad with the likes of Glen Johnson and Raheem Sterling, but the man who makes the lads laugh most is Zaf Iqbal, our club doctor, he’s the king of medicine.

OPPOSITION – WHO/WHAT IS ...

Hardest player to play against
    The toughest so far have been Thiago Silva and Jan Vertonghen. They read the game so well. I’ve had my moments against both, but they’re top defenders.

Best ground played at?
    Anfield, obviously, but also the San Siro and Wembley. They’re all very special venues for any footballer.

Best goal scored?
    I scored a back-heel for Chelsea against Sunderland at the start of the 2011-12 season. It was off the cuff and something I’d worked on in training.

Best goal seen scored?
    I was on the pitch when Zlatan Ibrahimovic scored that amazing goal for Sweden against England last season. Unbelievable.

Favourite player ever seen play?
    Thierry Henry was my favourite player as a youngster. He was inspirational to watch.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/liverpool/10234374/Liverpool-striker-Daniel-Sturridge-question-and-answer-session.html

5starpool wrote: »
    I'd love to see one of those win % stats with and without Lucas for the last couple of seasons. I'd say it would make quite startling reading. It could be coincidence of course, but our best runs in the last 2 seasons have coincided with him being in the team. He only came on at half time in the Southampton game when the damage was done anyhow I think.

Cant the same statistics for win rates be shown for Suarez and Gerrard too? I remember reading one a while back that claimed Liverpool perform better without them.

To be honest I think these kind of stats are very misleading. They can fool people into believing things that their eyes know not to be true. I don't care what the stats say, Liverpool are a better team with Suarez in it.
    Keenest in training/biggest health freak?
    Steve Gerrard and Lucas are the best trainers. Lucas really puts the hours in and earns everyone’s respect. The health freak is Brad Jones. He loves that protein

That's a good sign, it has to be said. Maybe he will get back to his best.

MrBoywunder ‏@MrBoywunder 47s
    Willian vs FK Rostov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

All Willian talk should be banned unless he's holding a jersey, or leaning on air at Melwood. Or hugging Ian Ayer.

I would rate Henderson capable of what your looking for there tbh.

I think he's a huge talent, and often over looked.

And then theres his attitude...

remember his celebration in Gerrards testimonial?? Swear he'd scored the winner in a CL final.

article-2384043-1B212B4E000005DC-175_634x425.jpg

Henderson is a horribly overrated player on here. He improved massively last season and his attitude last season was fantastic, but then again he was very poor for large chunks of his first season.

I would hate to have to rely on Henderson to cover either Gerrard or Lucas if one of them was out for a long time.

Maybe he can up his game even further this season, but would sooner have some genuine quality in than relying on Henderson to be able to hold down one of the deeper CM roles for a long time and to a high level.

Would love to know if he could play in a style similar to Sven Bender, Lars Bender or even Jame McCarthy. Mobile players who are very good at getting a toe poke in rather than a big tackle, and who are mobile enough to cover a lot of ground in the centre making interceptions as they go. Henderson certainly has the engine for it, but I do wonder about his game intelligence when he has time on the ball.

He might come good, really good, but I just have some trust issues with him as a player. His attitude, if it stays as good as last season, will imo buy him time to try and prove anyone who doubts him wrong

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,403 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

MrBoywunder ‏@MrBoywunder 47s
    Willian vs FK Rostov

Christ i hope we sign him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,342 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Cissokho is fine enough by me, if only for this after our win at OT in 09.

BRyQ1CKCUAAahoF.jpg:large

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

5starpool wrote: »
    I'd love to see one of those win % stats with and without Lucas for the last couple of seasons. I'd say it would make quite startling reading. It could be coincidence of course, but our best runs in the last 2 seasons have coincided with him being in the team, even when people say he is performing below his best. He only came on at half time in the Southampton game when the damage was done anyhow I think.

'Win % with and without' can be misleading.

For example, we have a better win % over the last two seasons for the games when Suarez was suspended.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,275 ✭✭✭slingerz

Henderson is a horribly overrated player on here. He improved massively last season and his attitude last season was fantastic, but then again he was very poor for large chunks of his first season.

I would hate to have to rely on Henderson to cover either Gerrard or Lucas if one of them was out for a long time.

Maybe he can up his game even further this season, but would sooner have some genuine quality in than relying on Henderson to be able to hold down one of the deeper CM roles for a long time and to a high level.

Would love to know if he could play in a style similar to Sven Bender, Lars Bender or even Jame McCarthy. Mobile players who are very good at getting a toe poke in rather than a big tackle, and who are mobile enough to cover a lot of ground in the centre making interceptions as they go. Henderson certainly has the engine for it, but I do wonder about his game intelligence when he has time on the ball.

He might come good, really good, but I just have some trust issues with him as a player. His attitude, if it stays as good as last season, will imo buy him time to try and prove anyone who doubts him wrong

I have a lot of time for Hendo based purely on his attitude. He is a centre midfield pplayer that is shunted wide on a regular basis. IMO he could be coached into being a good DM player but i doesnt seem as if the management view him in that regard at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Most posts from previous thread.

I can't be arsed figuring it out but I bet that list would prove Pareto's Theory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pareto_principl) that 20% of the people on the list contribute 80% of the 10,009 posts in the thread ;)

Ben (who contributed 0.00059946% of the previous thread :P )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Anyone else expecting Wenger to swoop on this Willian deal?.....and then for him to end up at Napoli. on loan

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

That San Carlo menu has me starving!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,399 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

billy2012 wrote: »
    That San Carlo menu has me starving!!!

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭billy2012

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Anyone else expecting Wenger to swoop on this Willian deal?.....and then for him to end up at Napoli. on loan

Or Wolfsburg.

84626.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

Cissokho; another back-up player really. If he can refind his Ligue 1 form, then fantastic, but it's hard to be enthused after building hopes up for Siqueira. I dread to think how low my mood will be when Willian inevitably moves elsewhere. Meh, been thinking about changing my meds anyway.

What is the management's insistence on signing hard to spell players..fml

didnt realise the Cissokho deal was done.

Which leads to a busy day ahead me thinks....would people be happy if the business ended at Willian?

I'd be happy. Ideally a CB would be nice, but if we gobble of Willian (which I don't think we will), I shall not be cribbing.

Give it until this time next month, the porn mags and websites will be put aside, and this place'll be fapping over Cissokho's marauding voyages, up and down the left.

I think we are quite light in the centre of midfield and in the centre of defence.

We saw the impact Lucas being out had on midfield, and we had seen that a few seasons in a row now.

Last season was the first one in a bit where Gerrard had no real injury concerns, same goes for Agger.

So if we go into this season with the CM and CB options we have and take one major injury to each department, then all our cover issues from the last couple of seasons resurface pretty quickly.

We currently have one CB that most think is a nailed on starter in Agger rather than having two nailed on starters. Take Agger out and we have Skrtel and Toure for the season with all the backup to them being untested at CB in the EPL.

If Lucas gets another injury this season and we are back to the Allen/Gerrard pairing of the first half of last season, or a Henderson/Gerrard pairing. Neither pairing inspires a lot of confidence in me for long term usage tbh.

Just think that our pool of players to choose from at CB and CM is light on quality and very light on genuine cover.

Nuri Sahin; 5Live; Dickerty; Mike65 or others who seem to be happy with where we are going, do ye all disagree with this? It looks spot on to me. We need more ingenuity up front, but at the outset of this window we all knew a quality addition to CB and CM was needed. Are people really going to claim a successful window if neither materialises?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Give it until this time next month, the porn mags and websites will be put aside

Seriously, who still uses magazines?

Ok, maybe mike.

0057.JPG

Cant the same statistics for win rates be shown for Suarez and Gerrard too? I remember reading one a while back that claimed Liverpool perform better without them.

To be honest I think these kind of stats are very misleading. They can fool people into believing things that their eyes know not to be true. I don't care what the stats say, Liverpool are a better team with Suarez in it.

That's a good sign, it has to be said. Maybe he will get back to his best.
    djPSB wrote: »
    'Win % with and without' can be misleading.

For example, we have a better win % over the last two seasons for the games when Suarez was suspended.

Oh I fully realise that, but Lucas missed large chunks of both seasons so it would be more balanced than with Suarez where he missed 13/80 games or something, so the stats are easily skewed. I'd imagine it is a lot closer in terms of played/missed for Lucas foir those seasons. Even with that, I know they are hardly more reliable that what is seen on the pitch during games anyhow, and while Lucas did not seem to be at the same level last season after his injuries than he was before them, his mere presence often allowed other players more freedom in creative duties. Even if nothing else, we need a player in the team that allows more freedom to others. Right now we have really no one other than Lucas to do that. Previously it was mainly Mascherano's role, and then passed to Lucas but we are very light in that area in terms of cover.

Cissokho; another back-up player really. If he can refind his Ligue 1 form, then fantastic, but it's hard to be enthused after building hopes up for Siqueira. I dread to think how low my mood will be when Willian inevitably moves elsewhere. Meh, been thinking about changing my meds anyway.

We are definitely looking just for Cover on LB, not an Upgrade.

Just look at how we've conducted our Deals concerning LB, and it will tell you as much: Loans with an Option to Buy for Cissokho and Melgarejo, and 5M offer for Siqueira.

The Fact that we've loaned Robinson, and Inquired about Digne and Alberto Moreno, means that we're definitely looking to bring a much younger LB as the potential replacement for Enrique.

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

BREAKING NEWS:

you heard it here (MailOnline) first.......

Luis Suarez set to start against Stoke tomorrow.... :pac:

Suarez.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Nuri Sahin; 5Live; Dickerty; Mike65 or others who seem to be happy with where we are going, do ye all disagree with this? It looks spot on to me. We need more ingenuity up front, but at the outset of this window we all knew a quality addition to CB and CM was needed. Are people really going to claim a successful window if neither materialises?

I don't disagree that we could be stronger, but I remember how good Lucas was before the injury, so I believe that a full pre-season can see him back to that form.
    I also believe that Stevie always has to play.
    And Coutinho's best position is in front of those two.

So for me, it was not priority over another goalscorer, retaining Suarez and a CB. So CB is still the only gap for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Seeing as we seem to currently be talking to Willians representatives, and the fact that he mentioned us specifically yesterday, we really should make the most of this opportunity and bite.

The difference with Mhyktaryan and Costa was, we were never actually in this position with them. We really need to convince them and the move happens soon, rather than making a passive play and letting them talk to other clubs.

I haven't seen a huge amount of him, but I've seen enough to think he'd be a very nice addition to the starting team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think we NEED another centre-back. A first teamer.
    I would like another central midfield body. I've said plenty of times we should be signing James McCarthy, doesn't look like that is going to happen at all.

I still think a forward is a priority, because that is what cost us points more often than not last season - not being able to break defenses down when Suarez had an off day. With Coutinho and Sturridge and one more that should be less and less of a problem.

So a top quality attacking player is the most important requirement for us to challenge for 4th. Followed by a centre back. Followed by a central midfielder.

Our league form fell to pieces in Lucas' absence during the 2011 / 12 season, I don't think anyone would deny that? He's been on the comeback trail consistently since December 2011. He now has a full preseason under his belt following consistent on pitch time during the second half of last season. He's well positioned to rediscover his 2011 form. Let's all hope he does too, because we'll need him at that level...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

Suarez is back training with the first team, according to Ssn right now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 786 ✭✭✭fangee

Sky Sports News : Luis Suarez trains with first team squad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭McSasquatch

So there's been some kind of apology then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭mrsoundie

Cant find the menu for this place. But it is good.

http://www.anticacagliari.it/anticacagliari.html

So a top quality attacking player is the most important requirement for us to challenge for 4th. Followed by a centre back. Followed by a central midfielder.

To challenge for the top four we need all three imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I'd say Pulis will be sitting down in front of the TV tomorrow in his best tracksuit and baseball cap cheering us on.

Fizman wrote: »
    Suarez is back training with the first team, according to Ssn right now.

Too far to make him out, but here's a Pic.
    MrBoywunder MrBoywunder 4m
    Suarez training with the 1st team! (@LMillerrr_)

BRyX_l6CYAErT4X.jpg:large

Less than 24 hours to the end of the first YNWA rendition at Anfield of the season (not counting the pre seasons games/testimonial).

I are excite.

To be fair, most of the posters you mentioned there Lloyd, have said similar stuff this summer to what is in my post.

A good Italian restaurant can be a beautiful thing. That menu screams simplicity and class.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

So luis is back training with the first team...he must have appolagised right??

• Advertisement

To be fair, most of the posters you mentioned there Lloyd, have said similar stuff this summer to what is in my post.

Fine, I just think things are crystallising. We know who's going at this stage and the broad scenarios where we sign four or five players are disappearing. We're going to be short of what we needed at the outset of the summer, that is becoming more clear. I think we need to start facing up to the fact that the window is going to fall short of what we needed - and the only thing left to be discovered is the degree to which that is the case.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement