Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Late Show/FF party political broadcast

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 410 ✭✭trapsagenius

You must have watched Different interviews then the rest of us

Come off it.While Tubridy may have cut across Kenny more, he still asked Cowen some potentially very sticky questions (the one about drinking too much is the one that sticks in my mind).Lets not forget that Tubridy gave Kenny a good few "easy" questions at the start of the interview. The fact Kenny came across so badly, while Tubridy might have played his part, is more down to his own ineptitude rather than any other factor.

If you cannot see this then I'm sorry, but you are as blinkered as some of the FFers you (presumably) claim to oppose.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    He's still - allegedly - a TD (even though he seems to be off spouting ****e and "buke" signing on our time).....we're still paying him a fortune....

How is that "finished" ?

Plus he And for someone who couldn't remember where a year's salary came from, he'd just written a book!!!

Any decent interviewer would have gone to town on him for the above irony alone, not to mention the fact that his rebuke to those warning him has come to pass.

No, Ahern was allowed to answer deflect a question about signing cheques for misappropriation of charity funds by saying "eh, heh....well I never liked de shirts"

Finished from the point of view that Bertie will not be leader of FF during the next election, and most likely will not be running as a TD.Giving Ahern a grilling would not really have done FF any harm as he is in the party's past now.

I didn't see Tubridy interrupt Cowen once. He might have been equally "hard", but he certainly wasn't as open to listening to answers, or pressing as hard for answers to the questions that the interviewee tried to avoid / re-formulate.

I will say that Cowen appeared to give straighter answers, however he avoided allocating blame to FF, which might have been the start of this recovery had he put country before party and used this as a platform to say "right lads, we ****ed up, badly, and I'm sorry; but let's get things back on track" rather than the lies that we usually hear which absolve Cowen and FF of their input.

Actually....forgive me if I'm wrong, but was this FF love-in the only live show that Cowen has participated in since the crisis started ?

I'm not going to come out and defend Cowen-I don't like the man as Taoiseach (and I'm indifferent about Tubridy).I just think calling the late late a party political broadcast is a bit much and that blaming Tubridy for Kenny's shambolic interview is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Come off it.While Tubridy may have cut across Kenny more, he still asked Cowen some potentially very sticky questions (the one about drinking too much is the one that sticks in my mind).

Cutting across = not letting answer.

If you ask sticky questions, then you let someone answer.
    The fact Kenny came across so badly, while Tubridy might have played his part, is more down to his own ineptitude rather than any other factor.

At least you admit it. So the point is : why did he choose to play a part ?
    Giving Ahern a grilling would not really have done FF any harm as he is in the party's past now.

I'm not talking about "doing FF harm".....I'm talking about asking the required questions and not accepting an elected representative laughing and sneering about shirt styles when asked about his role in corruption.
    I just think calling the late late a party political broadcast is a bit much and that blaming Tubridy for Kenny's shambolic interview is ridiculous.

Kenny can come across however he comes across. That's not the point.

The point is that Tubridy treated people from different parties differently; that is what is partisan and objectionable.

Cutting across = not letting answer.

If you ask sticky questions, then you let someone answer.

The point I was trying to make is that he gave both of them hard interviews-just in different ways.

At least you admit it. So the point is : why did he choose to play a part ?

Obviously I don't know the answer to this but if I had to guess I would say it's because Kenny had not really been asked a hard question by an interviewer in a long time and Tubridy went in with the intention of giving him a good going over.

I'm not talking about "doing FF harm".....I'm talking about asking the required questions and not accepting an elected representative laughing and sneering about shirt styles when asked about his role in corruption.

I don't think comparing the Bertie interview to Cowen's or Kenny's is fair because, as I stated previously, the peak in Bertie's career is passed.He may have gone easy on him, but I don't see how this compares to Cowen or Kenny

Kenny can come across however he comes across. That's not the point.

The point is that Tubridy treated people from different parties differently; that is what is partisan and objectionable.

But you see, I don't think he treated them differently.I think he gave them both hard interviews, just in different ways.

But you see, I don't think he treated them differently.I think he gave them both hard interviews, just in different ways.

Cowen : tough enough questions (even though some of them were irrelevant because they were about drinking and not about the mistakes he made as Minister for Finance) and let him answer

Kenny : tough enough questions and refused to let him answer, continuously interrupting

Seems very different to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,576 ✭✭✭Mal-Adjusted

The point I was trying to make is that he gave both of them hard interviews-just in different ways.
    what interviews were you watching?

Obviously I don't know the answer to this but if I had to guess I would say it's because Kenny had not really been asked a hard question by an interviewer in a long time and Tubridy went in with the intention of giving him a good going over.
    and he went into the interview with Cowen with the intention of boosting him up a bit. that's the problem...same with Bertie (who was more at fault than anyone!)

I don't think comparing the Bertie interview to Cowen's or Kenny's is fair because, as I stated previously, the peak in Bertie's career is passed.He may have gone easy on him, but I don't see how this compares to Cowen or Kenny
    *Facepalm*
    the man squandered the greatest period of wealth the country's ever seen, he's being investigated for cover-ups over his time as minister for finance and teoiseogh( sorry about the spelling) and you honestly don't see how this compares?:confused:

um...you already said this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

That's it, I've had enough....

Mary O'Rourke is on newstalk breakfast now.
    She seems to be on every day.

If she's not sucking up to Ivan Yates, she's on lunchtime with Eamon Keane.

Newstalkss bias towards FF is getting ridiculous at this stage.

Ivan and Eamon probably compare their FF teeshirts and tie pins in the corridors.
    They're supposed to be unbiased, but they constantly suck up to this woman and her party.

Time for me to stop listening to Newstalk.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

danman wrote: »
    That's it, I've had enough....

Mary O'Rourke is on newstalk breakfast now.
    She seems to be on every day.

If she's not sucking up to Ivan Yates, she's on lunchtime with Eamon Keane.

Newstalkss bias towards FF is getting ridiculous at this stage.

Ivan and Eamon probably compare their FF teeshirts and tie pins in the corridors.
    They're supposed to be unbiased, but they constantly suck up to this woman and her party.

Time for me to stop listening to Newstalk.

;)

Ivan is a blueshirt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Really going after Cowen or Bertie could have made Turbridy a name for giving political interviews. He chose not to and one has to ask why.

Little to be gained from grilling Kenny yet he did anyway. You cut people short in interviews when your trying to make them feel under pressure and get them to say something they'll regret.

Contrast with Cowen's interview where the hardest question asked appears to be about him liking the odd drink which is not a difficult question unless your actually an alcoholic.

I disagree completely and I don't care for any of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭danman

Poly wrote: »
    Ivan is a blueshirt

Perhaps I should have made my smiley bigger, or had more of them.

The point is, there are very few people that don't have some sort of political bias.

Ivan is a former FG TD and minister. While Eamon Keanes uncle was a FG TD.
    Perhaps they shouldn't interview politions, in case they show bias?

Or perhaps, bias is only bad if reflects one way?

It's quite easy to see political commentators bias, very few of them hide it very well.

Perhaps the FFers on here should start threads against these commentators?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭eoin5

thebman wrote: »
    Little to be gained from grilling Kenny yet he did anyway. You cut people short in interviews when your trying to make them feel under pressure and get them to say something they'll regret.

What was nice about the Bertie one was he was relaxed enough to say that he wouldnt have taken the money if he knew he was going to be caught, an outright admission of greed and corruption, although I dont think it was Ryans idea to lull him into a false sense of security.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭aDeener

Cowen : tough enough questions (even though some of them were irrelevant because they were about drinking and not about the mistakes he made as Minister for Finance) and let him answer

Kenny : tough enough questions and refused to let him answer, continuously interrupting

tubridy didnt make kenny do that weird perverted like grin after every comment he made though! :D was i the only one that noticed that?

aDeener wrote: »
    tubridy didnt make kenny do that weird perverted like grin after every comment he made though! :D was i the only one that noticed that?

No, but that's probably because it was similar to the smug grin that Ahern had when he said that he would have done things differently if he'd known he'd get caught.

Kenny didn't even get tough enough questions-he had a nice long run in of relatively easy ones.Even the SF question, which he completely bottled, wasn't that hard-simple answer:there economic policies make no sense.And he did ask Cowen a question or two about mistakes he made, didn't he?

Anyone have the Kenny interview to make sure I'm not imagining things?

what interviews were you watching?

This point was already made.While I'm not going to say "thanks whore"...O wait, just did.;)

and he went into the interview with Cowen with the intention of boosting him up a bit. that's the problem...same with Bertie (who was more at fault than anyone!)

Really?Any proof of this?

*Facepalm*
    the man squandered the greatest period of wealth the country's ever seen, he's being investigated for cover-ups over his time as minister for finance and teoiseogh( sorry about the spelling) and you honestly don't see how this compares?:confused:

I would ask you to re-read my post.I don't think the Bertie interview can be compared to Kenny's or Cowen's because the peak of his political career has passed-He is, for all intents and purposes, part of FF's past now.

Both Cowen and Kenny are at their peaks, which is why their interviews can be compared.I mean, one or the other will most likely be Taoiseach after the next GE.

um...you already said this.

:rolleyes:
    You don't miss much, do you??

I repeated it to emphasise my point and also because I felt it was the required answer in both instances.

Little to be gained?Could you explain this point?Tubridy's job is to do an interview, not to do an interview that will grab headlines or boost his career.And maybe "grilling" is the wrong word because when I think of an interviewer "grilling" a political leader I think it's a good thing, instead of leaving them escape through a barrage of soundbites.

I disagree completely and I don't care for any of them.

And I disagree with you, but such is life I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Little to be gained?Could you explain this point?Tubridy's job is to do an interview, not to do an interview that will grab headlines or boost his career.And maybe "grilling" is the wrong word because when I think of an interviewer "grilling" a political leader I think it's a good thing, instead of leaving them escape through a barrage of soundbites.

Turbridy's job when interviewing politicians is to find the answers to questions the public would like answered that politicians will always try to dodge since they can't even answer relatively simply questions.

Turbridy didn't even ask the questions. He might as well have been interviewing Jordan instead of Brian Cowen.

By little to be gained I mean he doesn't look like a serious presenter. It isn't doing anything for his career but if his sole ambition is to have a job for life in RTE then it looks like he will be safe as long as FF are in power anyway.

Advertisement