Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need opinions: public spaces

Options
  • 12-11-2008 2:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

hey ho

im doing a project. and im thinking i want to draw messages on the pavement in chalk outside some public parks and spaces. will this land me in trouble?

also, as a matter of interest, if you saw a chalk message inviting you into a public space (say to do a treasure hunt or read a message inside) on your way home from work- what are the chances that you'd go in?

also... any opinions out there on what the notion of public space means to you?
    for eg. waste of space?
    place to chill out/clear your head?
    place you wouldnt bother normally going?
    an escape from the chaos of city life?
    beauty?

would you like to see informal art displayed in such places?
    and if so, what kind- interacting with the public?
    photographs?

what would you consider to BE public space?
    just parks?

cheers guys all opinions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

You could chalk out Car Park spaces?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ainekav wrote: »
    also, as a matter of interest, if you saw a chalk message inviting you into a public space (say to do a treasure hunt or read a message inside) on your way home from work- what are the chances that you'd go in?

I'd be expecting a raping tbh.

Snyper is that you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Probably posted in the wrong place for serious answers op (although don't know where would be better) I think public property (buildings, space, etc) are hugely important to society, and put their value above private property. Librarys, schools, parks, museums, hospitals, etc, are what society works through.
    Regards following chalk signs home, it sounds cool, but if I didn't know something was on I probably wouldn't do it, cause you could end up following the signs for ages and find out the event was on last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Unless I was in a huge rush I'd almost certainly investigate a treasure hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Is your message worth writing in a public space? If so, do it. If not, don't waste my time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Ainekav

well arent we the speedy responders!
    bravestarr- that is a good idea.... can i rob it?
    xavi6- well actually i was thinking of having one in st.audeons park so if that goes ahead you could be right... and no im not snyper he sounds like a lovely fella though...
    brianthebard thanks for the opinions, very valid. id rub off the chalk when i took down the treasure hunt...

good stuff guys im feeling more confident now about my public space adventure.. keep it rollin

gluck and the best

kold- i havent figured all that out yet. but dont worry there'll be no gun to your head luv.

the message will prob be written outside the space, leading you in and then something of interest inside, as i previously explained.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Well if it does go ahead OP make sure you take some pics for us to have a look at.

Hopefully no skangers will deface your work.

it'd wanna go ahead if im gonna pass!!:D

ah they prob will but itll be all part of the artistic process!:D

the animation and subsequent defacement of work in a public space!!:D

ill come back and post the pics and if all goes well ye might see it! look out for it in the park off thomas st (st audeons) and st patricks park and possibly a park to be confirmed in rathmines.

cheers!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

kold- i havent figured all that out yet. but dont worry there'll be no gun to your head luv.

the message will prob be written outside the space, leading you in and then something of interest inside, as i previously explained.

I'm guessing this is an art project so here goes.

/Impersonates tutor: So what you're saying here is that the installation being public to say, entice Johnny Normal into the world is more important than any message that you might want to convey? In that way, the participant is part of the art rather than a spectator. Interesting. I suggest some Basquiat, Gillian Waring and perhaps some of the installationists of the late 90s.
    Now my criticism would be such, you really need to make a decision on what you would be showing. Art inside requires a person to actually want to see it, street art which, this will most likely fall under bypasses this, it goes outside to seek the viewer. In this way, the most successful ones are those that were snappy, you took in quickly and interpreted quickly. Think Banksy or this man; http://www.xmarkjenkinsx.com/outside.html What you are doing is one step further, you're trying to arouse a strangers interest. You're making someone leave their daily routine yet you don't have a reason to offer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I saw some advertising on the pavement recently... but rather cheekily instead of printing onto the pavement they'd actually cleaned parts of the pavement to make their logo... don't think there's a law against cleaning parts of the pavement.

ok ok.. kold thank you very much for the advice..

i have ideas on what i want to display.. your right i do want it to be snappy.

some possible areas i want to explore are:
    challenging typical notions of city parks.. as boring generic spaces of greenery- i know i get bored sittin in stephens green at times..
    (now this would relate to the chalk message idea specifically)
    and arousing interest that might previously not have been there...
    and i could do the treasure hunt-which would be a way of making the space more interesting and enticing to the average passer-by.
    im thinking of other ways to achieve this aim but thats the best example i can come up with at the moment.

then i was also thinking about connecting personal space with public space.
    i had little,preliminary ideas like using the public space to illustrate a peronal space-be it my own, or someone elses. not sure how this would work but it could involve momentos or photographs positioned in the space (possibly as part of the treasure hunt thing) ... this idea is not that developed tbh

i have other small ideas but theyre the main ones.

that car park idea could be cool..and then i was maybe thinkin of other locations that would qualify as public spaces (my roommate said public toilets!)
    i think the enticing people in via the chalk message and getting them to have a look around at whats inside is more important ultimately than the actual work inside- like i wont be making lifesize sculptures to erect! the whole point (of this idea anyway) is to get people off the beaten track and get them to have a snoop inside...
    if you get my drift...
    think ive covered most of what i want to say...
    i still have a lot to think about but thanks a million kold and id appreciate any more opinions/advice any of ye have.

ye're great!

Advertisement