Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brady urged to ban Anti Lisbon campaigh Newspaper from the Catholic Churches.

• 11-11-2008 12:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43

Brady urged to ban the "Alive" Catholic newspaper from the churches in the wake of its NO stance over the Lisbon treaty. In the run up to the Lisbon treaty this paper was predominantly supportive of the no campaign unlike the Catholic Catholic which was Yes supportive.

A right-wing Catholic newspaper which said a Lisbon Treaty No vote was a vote for God, should have been banned from churches, politicians have claimed.

This bears all the hallmarks of the type media censorship associated with Nazi Germany and the former Soviet Union. I would suspect that this pressure to try to ban anti Lisbon media is coming directly from the EU commissioners.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/brady-urged-to-ban-priests-antieu-paper-from-church-1524181.html

This is the sort of anti Lisbon content that politicians want ommitted from all future publications.
    http://www.alive.ie/archives/Alive!%20June%2008.pdf

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

Cardinal Séan Brady is not the government.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Sign of things to come... Wait - they have arrived!
    Run_To_Da_Hills will have a field day with this thread too!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 fumpidge

Cardinal Séan Brady is not the government.
    Edited.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭RichMc70

Long live.....free speech and democracy ........................

unless of course, you live in Ireland :D

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,336 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

fumpidge wrote: »
    A right-wing Catholic newspaper which said a Lisbon Treaty No vote was a vote for God

In fairness, anyone who makes up their mind how to vote on anything based on a statement like that should have their vote taken away from them.

• Advertisement

Well, it is the Church and they are up against the Masonic Lodges that are trying through their hidden secret branches, to bring in a new world order...

but relax, go to bed tonight.
    The good news is that Mary Harney will still be there in the morning to take over from Cowan, to run the Irish country.

...so there should be nothing to worry about.

Sleep easy. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Agree, it's the Freemasons...

If you were looking for serious discussion you should ask to move this to the christianity forum.

Darragh29 wrote: »
    There was another identical thead recently by another poster on the exact same type of car being stolen. Is there any chance these type of cars are being stolen for parts???

Stealing cars for parts and censoring the media, Cardinal Brady is a maverick who plays by his own rules :) Wrong thread i think mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I've recieved this paper in the door several times. I don't see what the big deal is, if people don't want to see it, don't read it or pick it up. (I voted yes to Lisbon, so I disagree with them on that issue)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,608 ✭✭✭themont85

God damn Lisbon Treaty, why couldn't it have been just voted in the first time. Its more annoying than hearing about the ****ing recession these days.

My thoughts of Lisbon 1 year ago- Sunnier climate and a capital i might visit
    Now-A place i never ever want to go to for fear of been reminded of any of the hocus pocus lunatics in this country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

:)

:)

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

I am not at all religious. However I believe the athiesm forum here is a bigger joke than Fred Phelps. Few of them see the irony in having an almost religious devotion to the belief of no god. The fact that their life nearly seems to be dominated by the hatred of religious belief is in itself nearly a religion.

But aside from all that, Alive is some right wing lunacy of the highest order. Who bankrolls it?

Biggins wrote: »
    :eek:
    Posted already in the News & Media forum.

Just give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves. :D

Posted already in the News & Media forum.

Just give them enough rope and they'll hang themselves. :D

It's too easy ain't it! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Jakkass wrote: »
    I've recieved this paper in the door several times. I don't see what the big deal is, if people don't want to see it, don't read it or pick it up. (I voted yes to Lisbon, so I disagree with them on that issue)

The problem is there is still a sizable amount of (admittedly elderly, bu they are notoriously good for turnout numbers) people who believe the church is the shining light of al things good and that it would never lead them down the wrong path. This results in them blindly following things that appear to be the voice of the church.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Alive! is awesome! I'd be sorry if it stopped publishing as it gives me some intense lulz every month! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I must have missed the episode of Primetime when God came out on the no side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Tha Gopher wrote: »
    I am not at all religious. However I believe the athiesm forum here is a bigger joke than Fred Phelps. Few of them see the irony in having an almost religious devotion to the belief of no god. The fact that their life nearly seems to be dominated by the hatred of religious belief is in itself nearly a religion.

That's a fallacious argument if I ever heard one. Your definition of "religion" must be pretty skewed.

As for "Alive": It makes a great grounding for cat litter.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,571 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I must have missed the episode of Primetime when God came out on the no side.
    Very convincing he was too. He pointed out that under Lisbon we were to lose a cardinal, the EU would have control over the collection plate at mass and we'd all be conscripted into the Vatican Guard.

Stekelly wrote: »
    The problem is there is still a sizable amount of (admittedly elderly, bu they are notoriously good for turnout numbers) people who believe the church is the shining light of al things good and that it would never lead them down the wrong path. This results in them blindly following things that appear to be the voice of the church.

Now that I think about it, the Church should be encouraging neutrality on political issues, that are potentially divisive. It is clear that some people in Catholicism (reading from the article given by the OP) are in disagreement with the paper, and it's contents. Most of it in fairness, is just the average news from the Roman Catholic church, but now and again, they attack fairly political issues, such as calling Eamonn Gilmore a "saucy teenager" for being agnostic, and of course they have attacked Anglican figures such as Rowan Williams (mind you not as much as Jeremy Clarkson). It's just dependant on how you take it, I receive it fairly well, give it a read at least, but I don't subscribe to any of the views inside. However, it's not just distributed in the church, I've seen them at university, and delivered to my door as well. I personally find it interesting how other people think though, and I think let them at it (with the exception of the church perhaps).

Now that I think about it, the Church should be encouraging neutrality on political issues, that are potentially divisive. It is clear that some people in Catholicism (reading from the article given by the OP) are in disagreement with the paper, and it's contents. Most of it in fairness, is just the average news from the Roman Catholic church, but now and again, they attack fairly political issues, such as calling Eamonn Gilmore a "saucy teenager" for being agnostic, and of course they have attacked Anglican figure such as Rowan Williams (mind you not as much as Jeremy Clarkson). It's just dependant on how you take it, I receive it fairly well, give it a read at least, but I don't subscribe to any of the views inside. However, it's not just distributed in the church, I've seen them at university, and delivered to my door as well. I personally find it interesting how other people think though, and I think let them at it (with the exception of the church perhaps).
    In the United States Churches are exempt from paying tax by the IRS (Inland Revenue Service) if they comply with certain conditions laid out, one of these being is that they keep out of politics. If they breach these stipulations they can have their tax free status revoked. This is something that could possibly be drafted into Irish and European law in the wake of this.

There was absolutely nothing mentioned by our Politicians about banning the Irish Catholic newspaper from our churches which was a predominantly pro yes in the run up to the campaign.

Although the clergy may distance themselves from this particular newspaper as I presume that it is not sanctioned by Rome itself nevertheless this is not about an attack on a religious paper, this is all about an attempt to silence free speech in our country and an attempt to silence the opposition in a second Lisbon treaty referendum and It must be resisted

That's interesting. How do they differentiate between the church being involved in politics, and church members being involved in politics? I think that is a highly dangerous policy.

That's interesting. How do they differentiate between the church being involved in politics, and church members being involved in politics? I think that is a highly dangerous policy.
    I presume that this could put clergy in the position to police literature that is being destributed on their property, such would be politically related magazines and articles. I could possibly forsee the banning of selling newspapers from church grounds altogether and the licencing of newspaper destributers. America is already going down this road.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Atheists give atheism a bad name.

TPD wrote: »
    Atheists give atheism a bad name.

You mean, just as priests give Catholicism a bad name!

Don't shoot messenger for the message (if its badly written).

I presume that this could put clergy in the position to police literature that is being destributed on their property, such would be politically related magazines and articles. I could possibly forsee the banning of selling newspapers from church grounds altogether and the licencing of newspaper destributers. America is already going down this road.

I'd consider that religious suppression. It's wholly incorrect. I hope legislation like that doesn't happen here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

Biggins wrote: »
    You mean, just as priests give Catholicism a bad name!

Don't shoot messenger for the message (if its badly written).

If the messenger drops the message in a puddle and it's unreadable, he should be shot. Cant even deliver a message... Grumble...

And I'd say Catholics give Catholicism a bad name, its not just the priests that can be mentalists.

• Advertisement

I'd consider that religious suppression. It's wholly incorrect. I hope legislation like that doesn't happen here.

I could possibly foresee the distributing of all religious and political literature from being banned from public places by the European Union as it draws closer to faschism. This could be drafted in under some "anti terror bill" that implies that such literature could be used against the interests of national security for recruitment of "terrorist extremists".

The authorities couldn't very well just ban literature from one religious or political organization, they would have to have a blanket ban on all. This would cover flyers, billboards and bus advertisements. One would have to first apply to the authorities to seek a license to destribute such literature just as one must notify the authorities in the event of organising any public gathering.

In the wake of "Shell to Sea" and the No result of the Lisbon referendum the Government would be delighted to see such a ban on the freedom of speech being enforced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

shouldn't this be in the eu politics forum

shouldn't this be in the eu politics forum
    Or the Christianity, CT or the News & Media forum. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Shacklebolt

Ah good old Alive! On the rare occasions Im in a church I always take a copy just for the laugh.... The incredible paranoia of the people who publish it, is beyond belief. According to the wikipedia article on it the paper claimed Marx and Kant were under satanic posession.

Ah good old Alive! On the rare occasions Im in a church I always take a copy just for the laugh.... The incredible paranoia of the people who publish it, is beyond belief. According to the wikipedia article on it the paper claimed Marx and Kant were under satanic posession.
    Catholic Tabloid.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

Not at all dissimilar to the paranoia of people who fear the EU is either becoming or already is fascist.

• Advertisement

Not at all dissimilar to the paranoia of people who fear the EU is either becoming or already is fascist.
    The Government Officials have banned the the Irish Media from meetings with the Czech President.

Sounds too familiar :rolleyes:

http://www.rte.ie/news/6news/ click Czech President on State visit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

A right-wing Catholic newspaper which said a Lisbon Treaty No vote was a vote for God

Surely it's some sort of heresy if you claim something like a treaty to be what god wants?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I am not at all religious. However I believe the athiesm forum here is a bigger joke than Fred Phelps. Few of them see the irony in having an almost religious devotion to the belief of no god.

Does it really seem strange that a group of people who tend to share interests (science, philosophy, debate, satire) and opinions (secularism, scepticism, frustration with religion/supernatural belief) might enjoy coming together to discuss such things? There's nothing religious about that, and a comparison to Fred Phelps is just hysterical.
    The fact that their life nearly seems to be dominated by the hatred of religious belief is in itself nearly a religion.

You're not in any position to make any claims about what the A&A posters' lives are like. Don't confuse strong opinions with mindless dedication. I can't speak for the other posters, but as one of the most prolific I can tell you that I tend to spend perhaps half an hour every day or two days reading/posting on the A&A forum and beyond that my life is occupied with other things.

I certainly don't drag myself out of bed on a Sunday morning to stand in a specially constructed building and be reminded what it is I believe by the Head-Atheist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭Tha Gopher

Mena wrote: »
    That's a fallacious argument if I ever heard one. Your definition of "religion" must be pretty skewed.

This Dawkins chap seems to be the God in there. They have all read his book, they all look up to him, every third thread is about him.....people basing a large part of their beliefs in life upon one male figure and a book he wrote, all sounds a bit jebus-like to me.

Or should that be L Ron Hubbard like, seeing as he has presumably made a few bob off his books.
    Does it really seem strange that a group of people who tend to share interests (science, philosophy, debate, satire) and opinions (secularism, scepticism, frustration with religion/supernatural belief) might enjoy coming together to discuss such things? [

I dont frequent anti WWF forums for a half hour a day posting about how ghey WWF is. I think it sucks, therefore it is not a part of my life. You think religion sucks, yet it is seemingly a part of your life indirectly if you spend half an hour a day sharing opinions on it.

If there is a god he must be having a right oul bellylaugh at the ironing. The church in Ireland is so powerless in the 21st century that Athiests make more noise than devout catholics. Wont somebody please think of the ironing. If I was around in the 60s when the church actually ran things yes, I would be anti church. Today the church has about as much power as the nazi party in the running of this republic, so why should I hate them? Because they tell people in Africa that condoms are useless? (most of you seem to ignore the fact that these people who seemingly listen to the church view on them are having promiscious sex anyway, indicating they either cant afford condoms or just prefer hittin it raw, as you do. Making church opinion on condoms and Aids completely irrelevant)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Well they took loosing very well to be fair... they really showed us that it was all about democracy....:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

This Dawkins chap seems to be the God in there. They have all read his book, they all look up to him, every third thread is about him.....people basing a large part of their beliefs in life upon one male figure and a book he wrote, all sounds a bit jebus-like to me.

Extremely ignorant comments. Most of the A&A posters are quite well read in general. Yes I've read Dawkins, I've also read Sam Harris, Dennet and many others. Not to mention a great number of religious texts. The majority of A&A posters don't actually like Dawkins very much and most of the threads about him are started by others passing through who want to take a swipe at him or complain about his activities. He's done some excellent work on Evolution and is a prominent opponent of religion, of course he features frequently, doesn't mean anyone is basing "a large part of their beliefs in life" on anything he says.
    I dont frequent anti WWF forums for a half hour a day posting about how ghey WWF is. I think it sucks, therefore it is not a part of my life. You think religion sucks, yet it is seemingly a part of your life indirectly if you spend half an hour a day sharing opinions on it.

I think you'll find WWF has far less impact on the world than religious beliefs. Your comparison is devoid of worth.
    If there is a god he must be having a right oul bellylaugh at the ironing. The church in Ireland is so powerless in the 21st century that Athiests make more noise than devout catholics. Wont somebody please think of the ironing. If I was around in the 60s when the church actually ran things yes, I would be anti church. Today the church has about as much power as the nazi party in the running of this republic, so why should I hate them? Because they tell people in Africa that condoms are useless? (most of you seem to ignore the fact that these people who seemingly listen to the church view on them are having promiscious sex anyway, indicating they either cant afford condoms or just prefer hittin it raw, as you do. Making church opinion on condoms and Aids completely irrelevant)

Yes, the whole condoms thing is a pretty big issue. It is just one among thousands of other topics though, such as religiously derived morality and opinions (just look at the gay marriage thread), Intelligent Design and Creationism, Church State separation, representations in the media, secular thinking, anti-atheist mentality (massive issue in the US), religion's role in politics, censorship, evolutionary science. I could sit here all day listing the relevant issues, and yes, some of the them are quite important to me and I enjoy many others. Sometimes it's just good for a laugh too.

http://www.motifake.com/motivational_posters/ceb018b370.jpg

Surely it's some sort of heresy if you claim something like a treaty to be what god wants?
    They have changed their caption for the next run up: "A Lisbon Treaty YES vote is a vote for the Devil" :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Spyral

Brady isn't exactly a papist. He's not in great support of the popes motu propium either so in terms of uber catholicness I wouldn't be listening to him. That said I'm not a practising catholic atm so I really dont give a fiddlers.

Advertisement