Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

getting around a firewall?

Options
  • 25-03-2006 2:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭

hi,
    im living in apartment block accomodation,
    we have a broadband connection, if you want to call it that,
    im guessing that every computer in the complex is going through a firewalled server, because ports seemed to be blocked, yet i can see other computers on teh network, just wondering if there was any way to get around this from my mac, without getting to the server? even the ftp port is blocked! any suggestions? its for sharing purposes, so im not sure if its a no no because the rules dont specify.
    any help appreciated!
    anyone know of a good free port scanner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

shane_mcc wrote:
    hi,
    im living in apartment block accomodation,
    we have a broadband connection, if you want to call it that,
    im guessing that every computer in the complex is going through a firewalled server, because ports seemed to be blocked, yet i can see other computers on teh network, just wondering if there was any way to get around this from my mac, without getting to the server? even the ftp port is blocked! any suggestions? its for sharing purposes, so im not sure if its a no no because the rules dont specify.
    any help appreciated!
    anyone know of a good free port scanner?

OS X has a port scanner built in under network tools. You dont want a scanner though, you need somthing passive like nmap.

You could also use "shields up" to scan the external firewall. Its not great but it will give you a rough idea of what is open, stealth and closed.

Basically what you need is a proxy, if you want to FTP, the software bangs it through the firewall on port 80, it arrives at the proxy on the web which then sends it on its way to its destination on port 21.

Im not sure of such software for mac though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 707 ✭✭✭deevey

Proxy4free.com is a good place to start (assuming you find an open/corresponding port) .. should just be able to enter the IP/port in the proxies section of networking prefs

Advertisement