Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just got my macbook pro

Options
  • 03-03-2006 8:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

and it is sweet. One problem though.

I am a writer and until now I have been using PCs for this. All my stuff is in Word files. I have a trial version of word but don't really feel like paying the extortionate fee to buy the full version having paid over 2 grand for the frikkin laptop. Are there any alternatives?

Any help is most appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Thraktor

NeoOffice; it's a Mac-specific version of OpenOffice, and can handle all sorts of files, including Word documents, Excel spreadsheets, and soforth, and it's all completely free. Check out openoffice.org, there should be a link somewhere in there to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Simon201

Appleworks should open no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

Simon201 wrote:
    Appleworks should open no problem

any .doc file I opened in appleworks had loads of strange characters, especially if there is a lot of formatting.
    some excel formulas do not import either.

best to stick with Neo - have not had any probs with m$ excel word or powerpoint files

plus you can export to pdf :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Boyclan

Thanks. I'm off to check it out now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

out of interest sake, is NeoOffice a universal binary or will it use rosetta to run?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Dunno if it's universal yet, but you could also check out AbiWord (lighter than NeoOffice)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Boyclan

I downloaded neo only for it to tell me I can't install it on an intel based machine.

Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Options:
    1. Download the source code; change it to work with Intel Macs; compile it; sacrifice a goat (in that order)
      OR
    2. Let someone else do it! :D

Anyways, the N-O forums have a thread here; check it out. Check to see if OpenOffice.org have verified support; or, like I said, check out AbiWord

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

Purchase it, and claim it back on tax if you're self employed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

zabbo wrote:
    Purchase it, and claim it back on tax if you're self employed.

I got Mac Office for €180 in 3 G last year, which while not exactly cheap is still not exhorbitant. Besides if it's knocked off your tax, then what have you to worry about if you want the easy life?

If you don't feel like going for it, did you look at Textedit, assuming it's still bubdled onto the newer Macs? It's pretty good for basic typing provided you don't want fancy smuck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭contact23

... try limewire!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭ScabbyLeg

Or just boot up XP on your new M'intel and use your Windows version of Office hehe ;)

It can be done!

Edit: If you're into that sort of thing

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Sooo jealous - would love a MacBook Pro!! I bought a PB G4 last August.
    Just get Mac Word.

I can 'organise' thing for you. Ahem.

Advertisement