Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100 EUR when you switch current account to PTSB

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Boots234

FrStone wrote: »
    Anyone ever get the hundred quid?

I switched my credit card and current account to them back in October and have received the 50euro to both accounts. Pretty happy with them so far although as mentioned here the app isn't as good as other banks. I was with with BoI and PTSB's app is far inferior, I don't have any experience of how good the AIB and Ulster bank's apps are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭Saint_Mel

McGaggs wrote:
    I still have a savings account with about a tenner in it with them because it's too awkward to get it back from them (have to apply in writing and they'll only pay by cheque).

McGaggs wrote:
    A nightmare to deal with. Incapable of sorting out issues over the phone, all has to be done in the branch. Takes ages to sort things in the branches, they won't sort you out at the tellers' desks, you have to join the large, slow queue for the one customer service person.

McGaggs wrote:
    Their switching service doesn't work completely (don't think that makes them unique in Ireland though).

+1 for all this. I tried to switch a year or so ago and the service and switching process was such a shambles I switched back to my previous bank straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 45,276 ✭✭✭✭Bobeagleburger

If enough people stitched you can be sure other banks would have to act.

The amount of people who say it's too much hassle when it's actually no hassle at all.

PTSB take care of everything, including direct debits and even close your old account!

There's a switching team dedicated to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    If enough people stitched you can be sure other banks would have to act.

The amount of people who say it's too much hassle when it's actually no hassle at all.

PTSB take care of everything, including direct debits and even close your old account!

There's a switching team dedicated to it.

Not so..

I switched to them recently and ended up notifying most of the companies that I have DD's with myself.

Their app isn't anywhere as good as AIB's but against that their online site seems to give you more control over things like DDs and payments than AIBs does. I rarely set foot in a branch anyway, but it is a bit of a pain how there's far less branches around when you DO need one.

I got my switching bonus as well. The main reason I changed really though was AIBs fees and increasingly poor service. Beyond those initial issues though so far PTSB is working OK for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

Boots234 wrote: »
    I switched my credit card and current account to them back in October and have received the 50euro to both accounts. Pretty happy with them so far although as mentioned here the app isn't as good as other banks. I was with with BoI and PTSB's app is far inferior, I don't have any experience of how good the AIB and Ulster bank's apps are

I switched too received nothing I'll have to ring them up..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,557 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I switched my current a/c and received 50. I cancelled my CC altogether and with revolut instead. Not really a CC but i prefer it. I just spend the money now when i have it. Painless enough. Find PTSB very easy to deal with and no fees. Next up is the mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭Invincible

Thought this offer had expired?

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭fleet

Bit of a pain to switch accounts here in Ireland

- You have to call some DD payees to confirm
    - No transactions (or limited) for a week or so (to ensure xfer completes OK).
    - Get your work to switch accounts

Basically it takes planning.

However, PTSB are persistent, will advise you on all the angles, and do follow through.

"18 Dec 15 Say hello to €50 Bonus"

Worth €50 cash and another 50-100 saving per annum in charges? - Totally.

(I'll echo what the others say here about the app being a bit crap, it's not as slick as Ulster Bank, but the website is just as functional).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭flyguy

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    Not so..

I switched to them recently and ended up notifying most of the companies that I have DD's with myself.
    I got my switching bonus as well. The main reason I changed really though was AIBs fees and increasingly poor service. Beyond those initial issues though so far PTSB is working OK for me.

Exactly as you say; they do not switch your DD. What really happens is your old bank informs the companies you have a DD with that your account will be closed and gives them your new banking details. This obviously doesn't work smoothly all the time cause there are big delays between letters sent and DD being setup. For someone like me with a normal amount of DD payments going out per month (around 20) this turns out to be a big PITA.
    Not specific to PTSB though it would be the same for any current account switch, the only thing that's done automatically is standing orders.
    I'll echo the same, the app is not very good. Switch only made cause fed up with BoI. Got the €50x2 as advertised.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭JimiMac

Is this offer not over now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,714 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

flyguy wrote: »
    Exactly as you say; they do not switch your DD. What really happens is your old bank informs the companies you have a DD with that your account will be closed and gives them your new banking details. This obviously doesn't work smoothly all the time cause there are big delays between letters sent and DD being setup. For someone like me with a normal amount of DD payments going out per month (around 20) this turns out to be a big PITA.

What I ended up doing was retaining the AIB current a/c as well until I was happy everything had moved over properly. I'll close it down in the next few weeks.

If someone has a lot of DD's I wouldn't recommend closing their old a/c until they've checked them all. In one case I had to ring a supplier every week for 3 weeks to process payments as invoices issued before the switch-date (even though they may not be due until after it) will still try to hit the old account.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Just a heads up on the government stamp duty on credit cards.

I switched over from AIB both current account and credit card. When my credit card balance was switched across AIB hit me with the stamp duty for the year. On April 1st PTSB also hit me with the stamp duty.

They said at the time that tihs would not happen, now the line is that I need to get a letter from AIB confirming that I paid the charge, take that to a branch or send it in.

After I've done all that all they will agree to do is waive the charge for next year or put a note on my account to that effect but will not refund the extra charge.

Not sure what will happen if I leave PTSB in the next year or why they can't just refund the charge.

To be honest I thought all this would have been done more smoothly as part of the switching process but apparently not.

Between this and the issues getting standing orders transferred over in time I'd have to say the switching process has been far from smooth and don't think it has been worth it.

Advertisement