Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

MBA's

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

No GMAT requirement but you did have to go through an interview process.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sparkle2

Hi godtabh,

I'm planning to do DIT MBA this year. Im a civil design engineer with 10yrs experience. I think youre a civil engineer too. There's loads of qns in my mind about mba. So can you please shed some light on the following?
    what would be the career options for civil engineers with MBA?
    How do you find the finance & economics modules in the course?
    Is the course manageble with full time job & kids?
    How many hours of study per week that the course need realistically?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Sparkle2 wrote: »
    Hi godtabh,

I'm planning to do DIT MBA this year. Im a civil design engineer with 10yrs experience. I think youre a civil engineer too. There's loads of qns in my mind about mba. So can you please shed some light on the following?

Can you send me a PM with your email and I'll drop you a line later. I'm a but busy with the thesis deadline of next week. If I see it in email I'll have a better chance of remembering!

Will post it here later (if I remember!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

Sparkle2 wrote: »
    Hi godtabh,

Im 3 subjects out of 12 down in mine. I'm mech eng. with the career options for a Civ eng, its really a 'how long is a piece of string?' question. if you stick in the engineering game, I'd guess it will open more opportunities to progress into leadership positions. but outside of engineering, from what I have seen so far, the degree opens up a lot of avenues you may have never thought of.
    with the finance and economics, coming from an engineering background - they will be your friend. I am finding the fluffy stuff more challenging than the numbers/logic stuff I am more used to.
    It's going to be tough with kids, I have only one woman to keep happy and thats enough for me. A few of the guys on the course have kids and they are managing ok.
    Re the hours per week, again that will vary a huge amount from person to person. last term i took on two units and I was flat out for that term - every evening and all weekends doing the pre-reading and assignments. wont do two again, too much for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Sparkle2

Ig123, Thanks much for sharing your thoughts. I will be glad if it opens door for more exciting carreer opportunities.

what would be the career options for civil engineers with MBA? Management or a change of career. For me at the moment I am thinking of a change of career or a change of company.

How do you find the finance & economics modules in the course? Basic maths. You will walk it. The hardest subjects are the subjective ones. Marketing was the worst for me.

Is the course manageble with full time job & kids? I worked full time. A toddler when started. A baby half way through. Lots of stuff going on but managed everything and kept active. Worked a couple of hours a night every night, through lunches etc etc. Kept the weekends free.
    How many hours of study per week that the course need realistically? At a minimum you would need 10 hours a week at the very least. It goes up and down. Your PM skills will improve!

Project work is a lot of work. I got stuck with a few social loafers. That was hard work.

godtabh wrote: »
    what would be the career options for civil engineers with MBA? Management or a change of career. For me at the moment I am thinking of a change of career or a change of company.

hey godtabh, many of your cohort change jobs early on?

I'm struggling to think of many who are in the same job from when they started, and I am only in the first year.

i know one did for sure. not 100% sure about others

Are you doing the DIT one?

• Advertisement

na, Uni of Sydney.

Advertisement