Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

V.E.R

Options
  • 17-10-2012 8:59pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭

Just got a whisper this will be targeted at 12/21 year contracts to get them off the books and pension. Will you take it

will you take it 5 votes

yes
    0% 0 votes
    no
    0% 0 votes
    hell yeah
    100% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 901 ✭✭✭ChunkyLover_53

Is there a source for this or is it gossip girls at 11am?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭twistedbrains

a very good source in dublin in rathmines

a very good source in dublin in rathmines

Ah right,

by source I meant a link to a reputable media organisation, DF Press Officer or Ministerial press release...I know plenty of sources in Rathmines, they're a constant disappointment to me.

I'll believe it when I can hold someone responsible for it :)

Ah right,

by source I meant a link to a reputable media organisation, DF Press Officer or Ministerial press release...I know plenty of sources in Rathmines, they're a constant disappointment to me.

I'll believe it when I can hold someone responsible for it :)

i know what you mean but no smoke without fire who else would they want rid off to save money in long run with wages and pension us off course!!!. You and i know that 50/60 % of that group are that stupid will jump at 50/60 grand

i know what you mean but no smoke without fire who else would they want rid off to save money in long run with wages and pension us off course!!!. You and i know that 50/60 % of that group are that stupid will jump at 50/60 grand

I do agree with you, it makes perfect sense to target 12-21 year contracts...they're the tracker mortgages of the DF at the moment.

I was listening to 2 old timers talking about how they'll jump at a VER, I didn't want to burst their bubble that any scheme that rears its head may not be targeted at them.

I can't see it interesting many 12-21 year NCOs who are on the verge of promotion & getting into command roles that they've been training for & waiting on for years...on the other hand a lot of people have been threatening to cut their losses in search of work in Australia & Canada for a long time now, if it does happen it could sway the arguement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Ball hop's are all very well in barracks, but online!.

Not a chance am I voting in that poll.

Ball hop's are all very well in barracks, but online!.

Not a chance am I voting in that poll.

Dont then

Dont then

Oh thanks very much.

sorry didnt mean to come across like that hopefully no hard feelings im not on here to have fights or annoy people "Sorry" again

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

I can't see it interesting many 12-21 year NCOs who are on the verge of promotion & getting into command roles that they've been training for & waiting on for years

What about those who have put in the time and done the courses, only to see the vacancies they were aiming for, be filled by those from units that have been disestablished? They now know that for a lot of them this as good as it gets for the foreseeable future, never mind those stuck as Cpls who won't be allowed serve past 21 years if the rules aren't changed

• Advertisement

SIRREX wrote: »
    What about those who have put in the time and done the courses, only to see the vacancies they were aiming for, be filled by those from units that have been disestablished? They now know that for a lot of them this as good as it gets for the foreseeable future, never mind those stuck as Cpls who won't be allowed serve past 21 years if the rules aren't changed

Yep they'll have a big decision to make too, what if a VER doesn't happen, that'll be even worse for them. Swathes of top class soldiers stuck in a rut. It won't be pretty whatever happens.

sorry didnt mean to come across like that hopefully no hard feelings im not on here to have fights or annoy people "Sorry" again

Not at all, I was just having the craic.

At 28yrs I'm probably not going to be offered a lot, if anything.

I'm still not going to answer if I'd take the VER (if offered).

But, I enjoy army life. I love the lads I work with, we've the craic every day and I can't remember the last argument with them.

We all served at home and abroad between Ireland, Lebanon, Kosovo, tChad, Liberia, Somalia, Eritrea, Bosnia etc etc.. We've (most of us) have served through marriages, devorces, births, deaths etc and we're a tight bond and it will take a lot more than a re-org or V.E.R. to break us up.

And while morale is at the lowest I've ever known it to be I can't imagine life as a civilian and without my mates/comrades.

I fu*king love the army, and I love serving.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

But, I enjoy army life. I love the lads I work with, we've the craic every day and I can't remember the last argument with them.

We all served at home and abroad between Ireland, Lebanon, Kosovo, tChad, Liberia, Somalia, Eritrea, Bosnia etc etc.. We've (most of us) have served through marriages, devorces, births, deaths etc and we're a tight bond and it will take a lot more than a re-org or V.E.R. to break us up.

And while morale is at the lowest I've ever known it to be I can't imagine life as a civilian and without my mates/comrades.

I see the barest smallest possible hint of this in the RDF in my own unit and now with friends who have made the leap to the PDF both enlisted and officers... the comrades and friendships you make are unbreakable even in the reserves, one can only guess at the depths of friendships that you have made in the PDF. Morale for the DF as a whole is through the floor at the minute and as an employed civvy I feel so sorry for the way you who have made the DF a career, are being treated by the rest of the Govt and to a certain degree by some areas of todays society after the risks you've taken and sacrafices you've made to serve your country and its populace.... hopefully it will improve your lot soon though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

I heard the same in my place today. Apparently the figures being bandied around are 5 weeks pay for every year of service plus whatever gratuity you are entitled to.

.....dont forget, many people will still owe contributions to the widows & orphans fund, which will directly taken from any lump sum awarded.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,151 ✭✭✭rednik

You might just get a nice new suit.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭dodgydes

Anyone who will qualify for a 21 year pension is going to need a very large sum to buy them out. Its worth half a million over your lifetime.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭SIRREX

dodgydes wrote: »
    Anyone who will qualify for a 21 year pension is going to need a very large sum to buy them out. Its worth half a million over your lifetime.

A VER does not buy you out of your pension, it just gets you out the door to make way for new blood at the reduced wages now on offer.

Advertisement