Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Army Cadets

• 14-04-2009 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

OK, first off, i know recruitment is closed but i'm just asking out of interest because hopefully it'll be open again by the time i'm finished in uni.

Just wondering how hard is it to get a cadetship in the army. Is competition for it tough?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

Yeah it is.

You need to prove to the board that you are Leadership material. They look at several aspects including:

Academic Qualifications - college > good leaving cert > bad leaving cert

Physical Fitness- Team sports especially GAA

Leadership Qualities - Are you Team Captain? are you a scout leader? NCO in RDF?
    Interview Process - They try to establish your demeanor by asking probing questions or by puting you in basic scenarios that you would be involved in if sucessful

Military Knowledge - You need to study a lot about the foundation of the state and the DF. Be aware of main aspects of global politics in particular deployments of DF personnel overseas

And on top of that the guy/girl sitting beside you could be the son/daughter of a Lt Col or General already they are 1 step ahead of you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

hmm, thought it'd be tough, but hey if it ain't hard it ain't worth doing.

If everything goes to plan i think i should be ok. Good leaving, engineering degree from Trinity, rock climbing instructor, mountain leader award(instructor by then hopefully), and experienced airsofter/milsim-er. fingers crossed it'll be open again by then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭djtechnics1210

Craigsy wrote: »
    experienced airsofter

Id leave that part out at the interview

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Craigsy

Id leave that part out at the interview

Dont want them thinking im a crazed gun nut:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 670 ✭✭✭Hard Larry

hmm, thought it'd be tough, but hey if it ain't hard it ain't worth doing.

If everything goes to plan i think i should be ok. Good leaving, engineering degree from Trinity, rock climbing instructor, mountain leader award(instructor by then hopefully), and experienced airsofter/milsim-er. fingers crossed it'll be open again by then

If its a degree in civil engineering then if I were you I'd make some enquiries into Direct Entry into the Corps of Engineering

I'm nearly certain there is a direct entry officer in one of the Engineering units

But then again if you'd rather go down the Cadet side of things its up to you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

There were approximately 35 applicants or so to every place during the celtic tiger years. Expect the number to increase sharply as all sorts of chancers apply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Would it be possible for a moderator to sticky this thread as a resource for people interested in cadetship?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

I got in in the '80s, there were rumoured to be 160 apps for each place. Expect similar or worse.

I had no pull, do your homework & be yourself. Either you're what they want or not.

Hard graft to get through, then you start to learn - ears open, mouth shut mode, your subordinates have been there & done that, but don't go native. Earn their respect, work hard, be definitive after sound reasoning.

Eventually you will find your feet. Then you lead effectively - always with your ears open, ask for inputs, just remember its not a democracy.

Best of luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭Company Sgt

OK, first off, i know recruitment is closed but i'm just asking out of interest because hopefully it'll be open again by the time i'm finished in uni.

Just wondering how hard is it to get a cadetship in the army. Is competition for it tough?

Better Chance Of Winning The Lotto All Officers Are Stuck Up Except The Ones Who Commissioned Through Ranks or Serving Members:):):P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭neilled

Better Chance Of Winning The Lotto All Officers Are Stuck Up Except The Ones Who Commissioned Through Ranks or Serving Members:):):P

Do i detect someone who has chunks of granite missing from their shoulders?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

Assuming your user name equals your rank, we'll put this down to posting while pissed... :rolleyes:

A long time ago I had a CS who was a total waste (who promoted this t*t?), I'd presumed things had changed...

Must add that I've long left so not au fait with current standards, but presume they've improved...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ro95

any updates on when they're recruiting again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭testicle

A few months ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭DipStick McSwindler

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement