Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

NFL regulalr season game in Croke Park ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,417 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Bigger interest per capita I'd imagine. They did support a couple of NFL Europe and at the end apart from a Dutch team, they were all German

I said this yesterday but I don't think there was much agreement but I still think us being around 800 miles and 2-3 hours closer to the States than Germany, as well as us speaking English are big pluses to our bid.

I really do not think that the distance and language will be deal makers.

Former NFL Europe cities like Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Cologne and Hamburg are at most 2 hours further than Ireland.
    And the Germans have no problem speaking English.

An NFL game in Dublin would honestly be a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I really do not think that the distance and language will be deal makers.

Former NFL Europe cities like Düsseldorf, Frankfurt, Cologne and Hamburg are at most 2 hours further than Ireland.
    And the Germans have no problem speaking English.

Nobody said they are deal breakers they said they are considerations and Pros that Ireland have over germany.

Another two hours travel another hour of a timezone difference are again considerations not deal breakers.

its not as long a shot as people would think but its certainly an outsider of happening anytime soon.

I mean who would have thought we would have a DIV 1A game here a few years ago ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Hopefully the Cardinals come over.

I would feel bad if someone called Larry Fitzgerald didn't spend at least 1 weekend in Ireland during his life.

D3PO wrote: »
    Nobody said they are deal breakers they said they are considerations and Pros that Ireland have over germany.

Another two hours travel another hour of a timezone difference are again considerations not deal breakers.

its not as long a shot as people would think but its certainly an outsider of happening anytime soon.

I mean who would have thought we would have a DIV 1A game here a few years ago ?

I would, we have had them before, three times.

I just think that if the NFL are looking at places to host a international game Dublin would be way down the list compared to Germany, Amsterdam or Paris.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

I would, we have had them before, three times.

I just think that if the NFL are looking at places to host a international game Dublin would be way down the list compared to Germany, Amsterdam or Paris.

yeah 16 years ago the lst time it happened with no inclination in the past decade that it was every likely to happen again. Id imagine you were in a small minority that were expecting it to reoccur though.

I guess Im likewise in the small minority that thinks an NFL game could happen. Only time will tell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

not from what Goodell says, and surely thats all that matters!
    On the International game in London and if it is experimental:
    I don't know if I can answer that Peter, but I can tell you I don't look at it as experimental. I look at it to developmental. If we continue to take the steps that we've taken to develop our game and the fans continue to react the way they've react and our partners, not only sponsors and licensees but our television partners. The game is treated much more seriously in the United Kingdom as an example by playing our regular season series over there. It's clear that there's support for more than one game which the ownership has passed a resolution to allow us to do that. We may do that as early as 2012. We are sort of contemplating that in the context of they are also hosting the Olympics next summer.
    On if there will be two games in England in 2012:
    Not in England in 2012. We may, because of the Olympics, look at 2013.
    On playing in England and somewhere else in 2012:
    Possibly. It may be someplace else in the UK, not necessarily in London.
    On Rooney wanting to bring the Steelers to Dublin for a game:
    Sure. We had a game in the 90's, Chicago and Pittsburgh played. It was a great success.
    On a regular season game in Dublin:
    We've not done that but I think that it could be a success. He has expressed an interest in doing that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,310 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Well they're visiting Croke park tomorrow. So if you want it to happen maybe walk around town all day in your NFL stuff making them think its a HUGE sport here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭Syferus

Dodge wrote: »
    Well they're visiting Croke park tomorrow. So if you want it to happen maybe walk around town all day in your NFL stuff making them think its a HUGE sport here

Just show them a clip of Joe Sheridan going for a touchdown last year and we've got the deal in the bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

Interesting quote from Goddell with regards the American Bowl game held here in 1997. He says it was a great success. I stand corrected but the attendance that day was around twenty seven thousand and Croker felt, well quite empty although the atmosphere was decent enough. I recall a few years back matching that attendance figure against all the other american bowls held throughout the globe from the first one in Wembley in the 80s to the last one in 2005, and the Dublin game had the lowest attendance of them all.
    Assume he talks in terms of organisation, hospitality of visiting teams etc but from an attendance point of view the figures were bad even if it was a pre season game.
    Perhaps someone else who attended the game can verify the attendance Im going on memory with the 27k.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

ac20 wrote: »
    Interesting quote from Goddell with regards the American Bowl game held here in 1997. He says it was a great success. I stand corrected but the attendance that day was around twenty seven thousand and Croker felt, well quite empty although the atmosphere was decent enough. I recall a few years back matching that attendance figure against all the other american bowls held throughout the globe from the first one in Wembley in the 80s to the last one in 2005, and the Dublin game had the lowest attendance of them all.
    Assume he talks in terms of organisation, hospitality of visiting teams etc but from an attendance point of view the figures were bad even if it was a pre season game.
    Perhaps someone else who attended the game can verify the attendance Im going on memory with the 27k.

I think american football in Ireland has increased hugely though since 1997. Sky showing more games, and people have far far more interest in it now. In those 15 or so years, the interest levels have rose massively IMO, so I really wouldnt be guaging interest or attendance on a game back then. this forum is even an indicator on that. look at the interest levels and participation on here just compared to just 3 years ago.

The college game next September I think is going to be the benchmark. if that goes well, with a capacity crowd and a good atmosphere and everything that goes with it, then it will be a step closer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I don't think you can compare back then to now though. The game is definitely more popular now. Back then TV coverage was nothing like it is now and there are a lot more digital TV subscribers these days. We all had dial-up Internet as well so the game is so much easier to follow now with broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭baddebt

honestly i'd jizz my pants if the nfl where to hold a regular season game in Croker , it would be cool especially if it was the Bears , surel they along with the giants and Packers are among the most supported teams among Irish fans

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 151 ✭✭ac20

bruschi wrote: »
    I think american football in Ireland has increased hugely though since 1997. Sky showing more games, and people have far far more interest in it now. In those 15 or so years, the interest levels have rose massively IMO, so I really wouldnt be guaging interest or attendance on a game back then. this forum is even an indicator on that. look at the interest levels and participation on here just compared to just 3 years ago.

The college game next September I think is going to be the benchmark. if that goes well, with a capacity crowd and a good atmosphere and everything that goes with it, then it will be a step closer.

just showing my age:)

plus come to think of it as it was pre season, there were probably very few fans of either team prepared to travel over from the States for it.

baddebt wrote: »
    honestly i'd jizz my pants if the nfl where to hold a regular season game in Croker , it would be cool especially if it was the Bears , surel they along with the giants and Packers are among the most supported teams among Irish fans

As we're a nation of glory hunters I reckon just about any team that has won the Super Bowl over tha past 20 years will have a popular support here

Me included. I got into the game around the time the Redskins actually played like a football team!

The Patriots and the Steelers would be likely the most supported, honestly. The Patriots because of the huge Irish-American population in Boston and the Steelers because they're owned by a very pro-actively Irish-American family, and Pittsburgh is one of those towns with a real blue-collar, working class image.

Oh, and they've hauled in a combined five Superbowls (and seven appearances) since 2001!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

It will almost certainly be the Steelers...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

So we can take form the interview that the Olympics is a deciding factor in this. Even thought it ends in Aug (strange)

If its not going to be London, which it wont, and Rooney has already voiced his opinion to Goddell, the NCAA game generating its own momentum and fans, language, timezones, Irish-American partnerships and multinationals coudl get behind it; Croke Park can get behidn all these things and have a great chance to come away with a game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭Al Capwned

I was in Croker in the 90's for the Steelers game - was against the Chicago Bears. Was an absolute thrill to see American Football live - granted it was a pre-season game, but just to see the whole spectacle, the game itself and the experience, was incredible.

I have relations in Rochester PA, about an hour from Pittsburgh, and I've always followed the steelers.

I was 20 in July 1997, and that night in croker still ranks as one of my favourite sporting memories.

I'll be first in the queue if it happens!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Dolphins and 49ers could have a solid support base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

All I know about this is Dan Rooney was over All Ireland football weekend and I was told this idea was discussed then.

I did see him at croke park that day but had been told this before the game so who knows fingers crossed.

Rochey18 wrote: »
    All I know about this is Dan Rooney was over All Ireland football weekend and I was told this idea was discussed then.

I did see him at croke park that day but had been told this before the game so who knows fingers crossed.

'Over'?! He's the US ambassador to Ireland, he damn well better be over here! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭Justin10

Haha sorry, I meant he was there for the firefighters, but it was discussed also.
    I know he the ambassador, my bad. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

So we can take form the interview that the Olympics is a deciding factor in this. Even thought it ends in Aug (strange)

I'm only speculating but I'd imagine the stance Goddell is taking on the Olympics mights be something to do with the fact that many people in the greater London area may be saturated with sport, and financially it might be a factor!

Might not be the case at all but could be a possibility! Now I know people who are NFL fans will go but you just never know!

No, he said there probably won't be a second game in London because of the Olympics.

It won't help decide if there'll be a second game, and where it might be

No, he said there probably won't be a second game in London because of the Olympics.

It does open up the possibility of a second game next year at a different location, certainly Ireland's (and by extension Scotland's and Wales') chances have increased this week. Just emotionally, switching to one of the other nations rather than having a second game in, say, Manchester (the Glazers would probably be very keen to join their two teams up) would give the second game its own identity and flavour. I wonder what's the attendance the NFL would be looking to achieve with a second game.

Still think there's zero chance of the second game going to Germany given how committed they've said they are to developing one territory first and not spreading out yet. While it'd be an undoubted success, it's not really part of their plans for the second game.

• Advertisement

Even though Tampa's attendance is terrible would the NFL really give them a 3rd game in the International series! Doesn't allow for much fan expansion to other teams!

On the other hand if they do allow them to it could be seen as a first step to move a team abroad, as it allows for a consistent fan base for one team!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭fisgon

Dublin Tourism or Bord Failte should be promoting the sh1t out of the possibility of bringing an NFL game to Croker. I heard that interview on the Peter King podcast and it certainly didn't sound like Goodell was bullsh!tting, it does sound like a real possibility.

Croke Park will not be filled by Irish fans. If you fill it it will be by British fans and American ex pats coming across for the game, enourmous money spinner for Dublin and the whole country.

fisgon wrote: »
    Dublin Tourism or Bord Failte should be promoting the sh1t out of the possibility of bringing an NFL game to Croker.

Of course they are. They'd be the leading drivers of this thing

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Concannon7

I really hope this happens. Was at the last two London games and sometime in the future I plan on travelling to Denver for a game. But it would be something else to have a regular season game in Ireland in a packed Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭SAINTRON

ac20 wrote: »

Not sure about the 27k, I was thinking nearer the 2Ok mark. Regardless of attendance, the gridiron dwarves in size versus the gaelic pitch and its difficult to replicate and sustain the atmosphere there. I remember long periods of boredom when I changed seats about four times {different levels} for a different view. Wembley struggles with this also but they {the NFL} do a great job in countering this, so presumably they'd get this right for a regular season game at Croker too. Would be some day out.....

The Corrs played at the half in the rain....:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

It wil lhelp decide by the process of elimination, it rules out London, therefore is an additional factor in the deciding the location. Not the deciding factor as I said.

not from what Goodell says, and surely thats all that matters!

And I'm sure Goodell would say the same if asked about Cardiff, Edinburgh, Amsterdam etc

i.e On a regular season game in .....:
    We've not done that but I think that it could be a success...

I would be as happy as the next fan to see a game in Dublin but to be honest I think it is a long shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭Thud

SAINTRON wrote: »
    The Corrs played at the half in the rain....:D

If we offer them Jedward to fill in the stoppages Goodell will have to award it to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭clare ny

I think that NFL game in croke park would be fantastic idea ..
    just random thought but how about steelers vs one of the new york teams ..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 559 ✭✭✭DB74

The Steelers host the Packers in 2013 so I will accept nothing less than that matchup!

Dan Rooney on Newstalk now.

Edit - Anyone who missed it, don't worry he didn't say anything we didn't already know (although I wasn't aware that the Steelers have a contract with the city of Pittsburgh that says that every home game MUST take place in Pittsburgh)

Yeah puts paid to the 'everyone has to play a home game' idea, that I and others have posted.

Was surprised by his positivity tbh, and by how much he wanted the steelers involved

Surely most cities have that in the contracts since all the money they put into teams and each game!

Well we know Miami, New Orleans, Tamba Bay, San Francisco and Buffalo don't...

Are you sure or were they just exceptions?!

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    Are you sure or were they just exceptions?!

Err, if it was a situation where they can make exceptions then it's not really an issue beyond actually convincing the franchise to give up a home game. Same as always.

Rooney may be just pulling some arcane stipulation that has a huge loophole out of the air because he doesn't want the Steelers to give up a home game.

May depend on the individual city though! Tampa and Buffalo(before this year) struggled with attendance so I'm sure the city didn't mind not having the financial outlay for those days!

If the Steelers do ever come to Ireland then it will definitely be a home game they'd be giving up IMO! Can't see any other team giving into Rooney and costing themselves a home game!

even though 4 other teams have already done it?

Can you clarify what your saying there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

San Diego, Tampa x2, Miami and San Fran I imagine is what he's saying.

kmart6 wrote: »
    May depend on the individual city though! Tampa and Buffalo(before this year) struggled with attendance so I'm sure the city didn't mind not having the financial outlay for those days!

If the Steelers do ever come to Ireland then it will definitely be a home game they'd be giving up IMO! Can't see any other team giving into Rooney and costing themselves a home game!

I'd say the contracts with the city are only in instances where public money was used to fund the construction of the stadium which wouldn't be the case with Miami, Buffalo, SF or NO as they are old stadiums. The trend of NFL teams holding cities to ransom over new stadiums is only a new phenomenon of probably the last 10-15 years.

SantryRed wrote: »
    San Diego, Tampa x2, Miami and San Fran I imagine is what he's saying.

It was New Orleans rather than San Diego, but yeah. So...
    Can't see any other team giving into Rooney and costing themselves a home game!

I just can't see any basis for you sying no team will give up a home game, when these 4 have already done it.

And 1 way or another there's soon going to be 2 international games so some team is going to play at least 1 'home' game in Europe

I'm saying giving one up that is specifically just to satisfy Rroney and his desire for a game in Ireland! It was different for the other teams...they were specifically helping out the league...there was no real personal agenda....and no I don't think that can be said for Tampa...their attendance is awful nothing to do with the Glazers and United!

This game (if it happens), isn't to suit the Rooneys. its part of the NFL International Series.

Franchises aren't doing it to help the NFL, they're doing it to help themselves (and there's nothing wrong with that)

• Advertisement

Bull...if it wasn't for the Rooneys there's no way there'd be so much talk about using Croke Park! The market here is much smaller than holding it anywhere else in the UK!

Advertisement