Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Interesting Stuff Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Peregrinus wrote: »

Presumably, the open book will look like the one that already features in the not-much-used arms of the University of Dublin (as opposed to the arms of Trinity College):

iuniva1.jpg

While there's nothing to say that this book is a bible, there's equally nothing to say it isn't.

So why is one a bible and the other not?
    I think this crest is the new crest, is it not?
    I have to say, the open book looks like the same book that was in the old crest; its just that the book is now "opened". I think that "openness" is in itself the symbolism they want. But if it was a bible before, its still a bible now.
    I see the two flags are gone too, that of St. George (England) and St. Patrick (Ireland). Hardly anyone nowadays would recognise the red X as an Irish flag anyway, so not surprising really.

The name is going to cause confusion with UCD. Didn't they try for the name "Dublin University" for a while? If that didn't catch on, I can't see "University of Dublin" working out for them too well; its even closer to UCD's name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,690 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

recedite wrote: »
    I think this crest is the new crest, is it not?
    Nope. This is the arms of the University of Dublin, granted some time in the mid-nineteenth century, as opposed to the arms of Trinity College, which have been in use since the sixteenth century.

I think the revised arms for Trinity College are to look exactly like the present arms of the College, including the lion, the harp, the castles and the flags, except that the book/bible will be open rather than closed.
    The name is going to cause confusion with UCD. Didn't they try for the name "Dublin University" for a while? If that didn't catch on, I can't see "University of Dublin" working out for them too well; its even closer to UCD's name.
    The original idea, as you probably know, was that there was to be a University of Dublin, modelled on the University of Oxford and the University of Cambridge, and like those universities it would be made up of a number of Colleges, of which Trinity College was to be the first. But no second college was ever established. (They announced the establishment of a second college, King’s College, in the 1660s, but somehow never found the money to get past the announcement stage of the project. There was a proposal to establish a college for Catholics within the University of Dublin in the 1790s, but in the end they gave the money to Maynooth instead. And there were various half-hearted proposals in the mid-to-late nineteenth century that the Catholic University founded by Newman should become a college within the University of Dublin, but nothing came of them.)

So the distinction between the University and the one College that does exist is a pretty blurred one and, arguably, the University has had a pretty shadowy existence as a separate institution. But, while the College enrolls the students and provides the teaching and the examining, strictly speaking it’s the University which awards degrees - so it’s BA (Dublin) and not BA (TCD) - and appoints the Professors. It's the coat of arms of the university - the one with four quarters, and the crowned harp in the middle - that appears on degree certificates.

Internationally, Trinity feels that its brand may suffer from not including the word “University”, since in the US and some other countries a “college” is an altogether inferior creature to a “university”; hence the desire to include “University of Dublin” in the branding.

If it did come to a stoush between TCD and UCD over similar names incorporating the word “University”, Trinity does have priority in terms of longer usage, but ramping up the frequency of that usage may also be an attempt to position themselves for such a stoush.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,167 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

UCD changed theirs to UCD, Dublin. It never really caught on other than in official documents and the joke became UC double D. They also then had the friendlier crest, which was to become the official crest, or so they claim but the old crest was still on certificates from the college 2 years after the change. Then there was the complaining of money wasted as the script used was not free and they pay for its usage (or at least did) which seemed a bit silly as it was incredibly close to several free ones.
    If it did come to a stoush between TCD and UCD over similar names incorporating the word “University”, Trinity does have priority in terms of longer usage, but ramping up the frequency of that usage may also be an attempt to position themselves for such a stoush.
    Not sure of the official-ness of it but trinity had always the title, it was called the University of Dublin when I was there and it was on most of the literature as well. Like you said it was written in similar style to Cambridge etc. with TCD, University of Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

Not specifically atheism, but this has info on everything. Great if you want to do some bullet point research on things.

http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Main_Page

Has info on all religions and lots of extra quackery.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

CramCycle wrote: »
    UCD changed theirs to UCD, Dublin. It never really caught on other than in official documents and the joke became UC double D.

UCD, Dublin as a name sounds stupid to me. They're calling themselves University College of Dublin, Dublin. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Not sure of the official-ness of it but trinity had always the title, it was called the University of Dublin when I was there and it was on most of the literature as well. Like you said it was written in similar style to Cambridge etc. with TCD, University of Dublin.

Trinity is a constituent college of the University of Dublin (in fact it's the only one. I'm guessing the idea was to go like Cantab or Oxon, but they never got enough sponsors to build new ones), while UCD is a constuent college of the National University of Ireland (built as a non-denominational national college by the British government to train up the better class of Tadhgs into running the empire along their English and Scottish cousins, when the UK government realised that discriminating catlicks was hurting them and that no good catlick would go to Trinners), therefore they couldn't really use the University of Dublin moniker as they've no rights to it. Trinity can, but why dilute the brand?

UCD, Dublin as a name sounds stupid to me. They're calling themselves University College of Dublin, Dublin. :pac:
    Well, it's in the great tradition of AIB Bank, TSB Bank and EBS Building Society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭gaynorvader

Well, it's in the great tradition of AIB Bank, TSB Bank and EBS Building Society.

AIB bank makes some sense as it's Allied Irish Banks Bank, as in refferring to the larger bank made up of the smaller ones.

Two that always tickle me are ATM machine and PIN number. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Ah redundant acronym syndrome syndrome (RASS). Acronyms in meteorology are cool. Posted this a while back on the Cool Vids & Links. :)

164802.jpg

• Advertisement

AIB bank makes some sense as it's Allied Irish Banks Bank, as in refferring to the larger bank made up of the smaller ones.
    It's either one bank, or it's more than one bank; it can't be both. (And, in fact, it's one bank; they have just the one banking licence, issued to just the one company.)

It started off life as "Allied Irish Banks", for precisely the reasons that you mention. The formal name of the company is still Allied Irish Banks plc, and until about 1990 that was the brand as well. Round about 1990 they rebranded as "AIB". For a while they became "AIB Bank" in the Republic; then they switched back to just AIB. But a lot of the branches were refurbished when "AIB Bank" was in use, and this name is still on the facade.

Jernal wrote: »
    Ah redundant acronym syndrome syndrome (RASS). Acronyms in meteorology are cool. Posted this a while back on the Cool Vids & Links. :)

ROFLMFAO as the kids say, apparently shorter than, "that's hilarious"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

We have all prob heard about the film Gods Not Dead - well Daniel Finke writes very enjoyable blog called A Philosophy Professor analyzes Gods Not Dead case for God

Worth a read if you have time :)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

ROFLMFAO as the kids say, apparently shorter than, "that's hilarious"

Or the one I give back to the kids when they can't get something working on the PC; 'Looks like a case of RTFM which has since nicely evolved to LMGTFY'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

smacl wrote: »
    Or the one I give back to the kids when they can't get something working on the PC; 'Looks like a case of RTFM which has since nicely evolved to LMGTFY'

Ha, RTFM should be tattooed on my forehead I reckon, between my kids' PC and phone disasters. I did some very unappreciated ROFL the time my eldest downloaded a cracked Android OS upgrade to his day old phone, omitting to notice that it was a Russian hack and his brand new phone was now in Cyrillic as a default. Cue MUCH studying of the manual (and various forums) to get it into English....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Very Strange Goings-on in Ballymore Eustace Cry Out For A Better Headline

Creationists Unavailable For Comment on Shoat or Geep.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/a-bit-of-gruff-ewe-cannot-be-serious-1.1749080
    Is it a shoat or a geep? That’s the question being asked by publican and farmer Paddy Murphy after one of his sheep mated with a goat and gave birth to the result two weeks ago. He said the furry little creature was much more nimble on his feet than a typical lamb and the buds of his horns could already be felt. “He’s fast like a deer. You’d have to put him in a pen to catch him.”

Mr Murphy, from Ballymore Eustace, Co Kildare had noticed the errant goat among his flock on the mountainside five months ago but didn’t think it was possible for goats and sheep to successfully mate. Then the offspring was born and he immediately noticed the difference between it and a nomal lamb. After the Farmers’ Journal posted a video of the creature on YouTube yesterday, it quickly went viral among customers in Murphy’s pub.

“I’m told this is most unusual,” he said. Although they look similar, goats and sheep belong to a different genus and a cross is very rare. Sheep have 54 chromososm while goats have 60. Matings do occur, but the offspring is ususally stillborn. The most famous case happeneed in Botswana in when a female goat and a ram mated. Scientists found that the offspring had 57 chromosomes and it became known as the Toast of Botswana.

However, the lamb/kid hybrid had an overactive libido and the farmer had to castrate him at ten months because he had become such a a nuisance to goats and sheep.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    However, the lamb/kid hybrid had an overactive libido and the farmer had to castrate him at ten months because he had become such a a nuisance to goats and sheep.

A bit harsh, castrating the poor lad because he's a little aroused. I am sure he was only at it to ensure the survival of his species.

A bit harsh, castrating the poor lad because he's a little aroused. I am sure he was only at it to ensure the survival of his species.
    A lonely dating scene capped off by castration?

Gotta feel for the little fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,964 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I guess he could call his shoat (Game of Thrones S3 spoiler)
    Theon Geepjoy
    . :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Theon Geepjoy

Very very very tempted to put a S4 spoiler in tags here, just to see who would bite.

For science.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,777 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Theon Geepjoy

Here was I thinking Vargo ;)

• Advertisement

Very very very tempted to put a S4 spoiler in tags here, just to see who would bite.

For science.

I've had most of that series spoiled for me. :( Don't know why people do it either. :mad:

Jernal wrote: »
    I've had most of that series spoiled for me. :( Don't know why people do it either. :mad:

Gandalf dies when Eddard Stark blows up the Death Star with an iceberg and turns out to be a ghost the whole
    time

Gandalf dies when Eddie blows up the Death Star with an iceberg and turns out to be a ghost the whole ****.

Spoiler tags FFS

Apology accepted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Gandalf dies when Eddard Stark blows up the Death Star with an iceberg and turns out to be a ghost the whole
    time

"You win or you die, you fools!" - Gandalf, right before The Mountain pulls him from Dragonmount.

'Fly you fools' said Luke in response.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

If people don't stop posting spoilers I will unleash my inner Catelyn Tully
    (maysheeventuallyrestinpeace)

:mad:

Ye're all wrong by the way with yeer spoilerish manners.
    Turns out the zebra did it.

Ye're all wrong by the way with yeer spoilerish manners.
    Turns out the zebra did it.

What?!
    I always thought it was the zygote?

What?!
    I always thought it was the zygote?
    I've the abridged version.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,353 ✭✭✭✭endacl

And here I was thinking a 'game of thrones' was playing chess between adjoining cubicles!

You live and learn...

:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,797 ✭✭✭KyussBishop

Only mildly interesting (the topic of study itself though, is pretty interesting/amusing):
    "Climate Deniers Intimidate Journal into Retracting Paper that Finds They Believe Conspiracy Theories"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,486 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

endacl wrote: »
    And here I was thinking a 'game of thrones' was playing chess between adjoining cubicles!

Careful, you might end up arrested like 'Mr. Wide Stance'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larry_Craig_scandal

Scrap the cap!

Those of you who follow Ben Goldacre (and if you don't know who he is you deserved to be banned :p) may have been aware of the European Medicine Agency's court battle with AbbVie a giant pharmaceutical over the release of clinical trial data relating to adalimumab (Humira). Humira was the best selling drug last year. In a nutshell, Abbvie attempted to sue the EMA when they were about to release that data publicly. Abbive's argument was that trial data was confidential and harmed their competitiveness when it's released to competitors. (I may be strawmanning a bit there as there incident happened over a year ago :o) It now appears that AbbVie have withdrawn their case.

Incidentally, the wonderful UKIP party voted against EU legislation to help make all clincial trials more transparent and open. Awesome chaps those. :rolleyes:

Religion is declining fast in the USA - around 25% of the drop is correlated with reduced religious upbringing, another 5% correlated with university education and 25% appears to be correlated with internet use. Leaving 45% unaccounted for.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/526111/how-the-internet-is-taking-away-americas-religion/

Religion is declining fast in the USA - around 25% of the drop is correlated with reduced religious upbringing, another 5% correlated with university education and 25% appears to be correlated with internet use. Leaving 45% unaccounted for.

http://www.technologyreview.com/view/526111/how-the-internet-is-taking-away-americas-religion/

45% due to civilization? A general 'growing up' and setting aside of childish things?

Leery, as I am of dredging up the entire Watson debacle and her derogatory comments regarding the "atheist community", I was reminded of both when reading these articles a few days back.

Summary - a TV production company decides to fund a reality-tv-style "game jam" in which a few groups of software developers compete to develop a playable, fun computer game as quickly as possible, under studio conditions. Not a bad premise for a show, I have to say - software development is an intensely creative activity and far removed from the tedious code-grinding that many people think it is. In any case, software developers tend to be meticulous, non-sexist meritocrats, as, I suspect, the vast majority of committed atheists/agnostics and skeptics are. Quite opposite, unfortunately, to the man the production company chose to front the show.

Read what happened here:

http://indiestatik.com/2014/03/31/most-expensive-game-jam/

Other reports are here, here and here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Read what happened here:

http://indiestatik.com/2014/03/31/most-expensive-game-jam/

Other reports are here, here and here.

Very interesting. Sent it to wannabe games developer son, who noted his approval of all the devs kicking some sexist ass. It'd be good to watch a show (run properly) like that though. Hopefully they'll manage one without a corporate wind-up merchant next time.

Reality tv is unfortunately the biggest load of disgusting tripe. Just about every show has a production team of cynics behind it looking for the interesting stories. Nobody is reflected accurately. That person who comes across as a complete ditsy has most likely just had their segments edited to appear that way. All the while, the production team, makes sure circumstances conspire to push people's buttons in the desired direction. Little, if any consideration, is given towards the humans at the centre of it all.

The saddest thing is that people lap it up. Unlike hating people in the soaps they actually think the person they hate in the reality show is a reflection of the real person. It's possible, but most of the time it's never the case. Worse still though is the ridiculous notion that some people carry that performers in reality tv shows deserve everything they get. Some of them make megabucks so apparently it's ok that they're depicted to be complete assholes. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

For those who are interested, the guys from the Reasonable Doubts podcast released a kind of a meta analysis of studies into the idea that religion promotes pro-social behaviour and they deliver it as a talk here

http://freethoughtblogs.com/reasonabledoubts/2014/04/07/rd-extra-does-religion-make-us-better-people-galens-bulldog-edition/

• Advertisement

" Renegade" South Korean scientist Hwang Woo Suk who previously exaggerated his abilities to clone human cells, then cloned some dogs, then took on a project to clone a mammoth for the Russians, has now come up with a plan to raise extra research cash.
    He plans to clone dogs for rich airheads in Europe and America. And what better way to launch the marketing for this noble enterprise than with a cringeworthy Channel 4 TV competition called "the £60,000 puppy" offering the first one free. There is something undignified in a wealthy person pleading their need for a free duplicate of little Fifi, to a rather aloof Hwang resplendent in the white coat of a brainiac scientist.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,510 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/ancient-papyrus-that-says-jesus-was-married-is-authenti-1561767234?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow
    Three teams of scientists at Harvard University, Columbia University, and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology have concluded that the ancient coptic papyrus that talks about Jesus' wife is authentic and not a forgery. The Vatican claimed the latter when it was discovered.

Given at the time Jesus apparently existed it was normal for holy men to be with women and be married, its not at all a shocking thing to be honest

Its carbon dated to 8th century, and Egypt is mentioned. "Not a forgery" has limited meaning in that scenario, it presumably is a copy of a copy etc. so not original from the time of Jesus, but not intentionally a fraud either. Monks as far away as Ireland were also busy mass producing their favourite versions of gospels at that time too. I suppose different gospels were still circulating in different parts of the world at that time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

While it is interesting, do we not spend a lot of time trying to argue the point that just because something was written down a long time ago it's not necessarily true? :D

While it is interesting, do we not spend a lot of time trying to argue the point that just because something was written down a long time ago it's not necessarily true? :D

Indeed. Who cares? The facts of who holybabyjebus may or may not have been married to are irrelevant. The fact that folks believe he is his own imaginary dad is the issue.

:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

I don't see why he wouldn't have married.

I remember my history teacher in secondary school going to great lengths to tell us that jesus had 14 siblings. Never looked at the virgin mary the same again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,486 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

sea_monkey wrote: »
    I don't see why he wouldn't have married.

Gay marriage wasn't legal then.

Scrap the cap!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 755 ✭✭✭sea_monkey

ninja900 wrote: »
    Gay marriage wasn't legal then.

Shots fired.

1. Although the Vatican has been widely reported as having said it was a forgery, primary cites that they ever said this are hard to come by.

2. Assuming it's genuine, it's a papyrus from somewhere between the sixth and nineth centuries. It's not contemporary with Jesus, or anything like.

3. It's a copy of an earlier text, but the earlier text is (from linguistic evidence) likely from the fourth-century, and from Eqypt. It, too, is not contemporary with Jesus.

4. No scholar suggests that it is evidence that the historical Jesus was married.

5. Some scholars suggest that it is evidence that fourth-century Coptic Christians believed, or may have believed, Jesus to have been married.

6. Others suggest that there isn't enough in the fragment to conclude even this. The fragment includes the words "Jesus said to them 'my wife . . .'". And there, tantalisingly, it breaks off. It can't be shown that this is a reference to an actual wife. In the canonical gospels, Jesus frequently uses relational terms figuratively. ("“Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”) It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that the completed text from this fragment would show a figurative use of "wife".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

6. Others suggest that there isn't enough in the fragment to conclude even this. The fragment includes the words "Jesus said to them 'my wife . . .'". And there, tantalisingly, it breaks off. It can't be shown that this is a reference to an actual wife. In the canonical gospels, Jesus frequently uses relational terms figuratively. ("“Here are my mother and my brothers! For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother.”) It's not beyond the bounds of possibility that the completed text from this fragment would show a figurative use of "wife".

Perhaps it's the start of a joke? "And after Peter toldeth them the one about the Pharisee, the Samaritan and the Gallilean who found a magic lamp, Jesus said to them ‘My wife is so fat, right…’

He may have been the Jimmy Tarbuck of his day.

pauldla wrote: »
    He may have been the Jimmy Tarbuck of his day.
    Interesting idea, but unlikely. Of all the forms of human expression contained with the bible, the one that's most prominent by its almost complete absence, is humor. It's gag/word ratio is almost as bad as Tolkien.

The only joke I can think of -- I'm sure there must be more -- is that line "You are Peter and upon this rock, I will build my church". Which is kind of punny when one bears in mind that the Greek and Latin words for "Peter" and "rock" are the same. Or almost the same, since "Rock" is feminine in both Latin (petra) and Greek (πέτρα) and Peter was a guy, so perhaps Jesus was trying to tell us something about St Peter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement