Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nody's "I'm a complete n00b" question thread

Options
  • 11-10-2014 5:09pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭

I though I'd start up a new one as this one will probably run for a few pages :P

So here's my starting point; feel free to point out all my mistakes and misunderstandings as we move along.

I'm to pick a team consisting of 11(?) players with some sort of limitation on positions. The team has to be with in a certain total value and I'll get points if members of my team do well on the ground which favours players played often and in multiple cups such as Champions League. I can exchange 1 player in the team with out cost every week; doing more often loses me points (except in two transfer weeks when I got unlimited changes).

Now here's the first question piece:
    1) What's the limit on the team size and per position?
    2) Who sets the cost of each player and the cost of the team?
    3) If I don't spend all the money is there a benefit from doing so?
    4a) If a player goes from 1 million to 2 million and my team value exceed the
    starting value do I need to bring the team back below the limit?
    4b) If I sell the player for 2 million can I buy another player for 2 million even though I'm exceeding the original starting price of the team?
    5) What page(s) are used as reference for team value?
    6) What point(s) can each position score?
    7) Are there any limit to holding the same player (i.e. if I want player A but another user has him I need to trade for him)?
    8) What cups are included for playing purposes?

Well that should get the ball starting

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 42,080 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

You have to pick a team consisting of 15 players. 2 goalkeepers, 5 defenders, 5 midfielders and 3 forwards. The starting limit is £100m. You get points if one of your players scores a goal (6 points for a goalkeeper/defender, 5 points for a midfielder and 4 for a forward.) An assist is worth 3 points. If your goalkeeper or one of your defenders keeps a clean sheet you get 4 points for this. An appearance is worth 1 point and an appearance of 60 minutes or more is worth 2 points. Bonus points are also awarded for each game. There is a bonus point system for calculating these points on the basis of pass completion, successful dribbles, blocks, clearances, interceptions etc. The only competition that matters for this game is the Premier League. Your players will gain value depending on their form in the league. You can only gain value if your player goes up by at least .2 million as you only gain half the profit. For price falls you take the full hit though so it's important to ditch players who will likely hemorrhage value. There is no limit to holding the same player and you will soon realise that a lot of teams will appear similar as the season begins to take shape. There is a cup that starts in gameweek 18 and this is for the top 2.1 million players in gameweek 17.

Nody wrote: »
    I'm to pick a team consisting of 11(?) players with some sort of limitation on positions. The team has to be with in a certain total value and I'll get points if members of my team do well on the ground which favours players played often and in multiple cups such as Champions League. I can exchange 1 player in the team with out cost every week; doing more often loses me points (except in two transfer weeks when I got unlimited changes).

Now here's the first question piece:
    1) What's the limit on the team size and per position?
    2) Who sets the cost of each player and the cost of the team?
    3) If I don't spend all the money is there a benefit from doing so?
    4a) If a player goes from 1 million to 2 million and my team value exceed the
    starting value do I need to bring the team back below the limit?
    4b) If I sell the player for 2 million can I buy another player for 2 million even though I'm exceeding the original starting price of the team?
    5) What page(s) are used as reference for team value?
    6) What point(s) can each position score?
    7) Are there any limit to holding the same player (i.e. if I want player A but another user has him I need to trade for him)?
    8) What cups are included for playing purposes?

Well that should get the ball starting

Okay, first off it's a team of 15 players. They have to consist of keepers (gk) x 2, defenders (def) x 5, midfielders (mid) x 5 and forwards (fw) x 3, but you pick 11 starters, who will score you points, and 3 subs who will replace, in order, those in your first eleven who do not play.

Your formation must consist of 1 gk, and then a combination of the following:

def: min of 3, max of 5
    mid: min of 2, max of 5
    fw: min of 1, max of 3

So, for example, you cannot play 2 def, 5 mid and 3 fw, as you don't filed the minimum number of defenders. That answers uestion 1), the others are....

2) The vast majority of people play on fantasypremierleague.com, though threads relating to other sites or organisers will specify this. The organisers set the values of the players, and your starting budget.

3) Yes, but only in that you will have extra cash left over in the bank (ITB) with which to buy better players as they reveal themselves.

4a) No, you can exceed the starting budget of 100 million, in the case of FPL, by as much as you are able to. The trick is, though, if you buy a player for 1 mill, and he increases to 2 mill, you can sell him for total of 1.5 mill (0.5 mil profit). You only get half of the increases, but suffer 100% of the decreases if he falls by the same amount.

4b) Yes, any sales of players who have increased by any amount, will increase your budget.

5) There are a few sites which revolve around price changes exclusively, but they've changed the algorithm this year, so they are pretty worthless at the moment.

6) Depends on the website / newspaper etc. Some offer more for each category, but the FPL ones can be found here, under "scoring".

7) No, not on FPL. In fact, teams will end up becoming similar over time as 'template teams' start to outperform everyone else.

8) None in FPL. The premier league is the only competition in town.

Hope this helps as a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Here is where you will find the nuts and bolts. http://fantasy.premierleague.com/rules/ FPL through this site is the main game most of us play and somewhat dominates the forum.

For the nuance, well that's what the FSA is for.

If you do enter a team now, while you obviously won't be playing for overall rank there are a few cup competitions which will give you something to compete for. In a cup competition you are paired against another player for one gameweek and the person with the highest score in that week goes through.

There is one in the official game, two run by fantasy football scout website and several variations run on the forum here.

I didn't know the rules of this thing 14 months ago till I got roped in through a fundraiser paid league for my club, and now I'm a hollow shell of a man who knows what Hulls back 4 is in preseason, and checks the results of Stokes friendlies. Beware. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,745 ✭✭✭Swiper the fox

If you set up a team nody let us know and we can start a league from scratch where you can compete against whoever wants to join, the scores will only count from the week you begin so you'll have a chance to compete in that league anyway and a few others can have a bit of craic around it.
    You'll enjoy the cup competitions if you get into it. Two years ago was my first year and I started off after week 2 so I had nothing to play for in the main game, it still became very addictivevery quickly and I set my own goals so you can do the same. That year I finished inside the top 500k which was a good achievement having given a head start of well over 100 points to most. But the best thing was the cup run where I won 8 or 9 games.
    I echo FHFC's comments, this is an addictive business if you are already interested in soccer. Sometimes I think I would have been better off staying away from it, especially this forum which just makes it a lot more interesting but also very frustrating.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,957 ✭✭✭G1032

Nody wrote: »
    The team has to be with in a certain total value and I'll get points if members of my team do well on the ground which favours players played often and in multiple cups such as Champions League.

You'll get no points for Champions League matches. The only matches that matter are Premier League matches.
    However it's important to keep an eye on the Cup matches as players you own might get injured etc. And a possibility they'll get rested for league games if they play Champions League midweek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Should I have a good bench so I can rotate well to match fixtures or should I spend as little as possible on bench players?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Wombatman wrote: »
    Should I have a good bench so I can rotate well to match fixtures or should I spend as little as possible on bench players?

Its a matter of opinion but I'd think its fair to say the majority view round here is to have the cheapest possible bench who play so that the least you will pick up is 2 points if the need to autosub in. Non playing subs are a big risk, and will probably lose you value.

Slightly different for defenders where having a good rotating pair of cheapish defenders who rotate well home/away is always a very good strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Wombatman wrote: »

Just to detail a bit what FHFC wrote, I'd say that your 5th MF / 3rd forward depending whether you wish to play mainly 3-4-3 or 3-5-2 SHOULD unite the best combined "ratio" of cheapness/guaranteed playtime/performance.
    You could have 8 strong enough "attacking" players but over the years I realised it's not really worth it. The amount of points you'll gain over your cheapie when he'd be needed would not be enough from the points you'd be losing on the bench when you'll pick the wrong guys. In addition the cheapie allows you to spend more in defense.

About the defense, cheap rotating defenders are definitely the way to go. Of course you can associate them with 2-3 big names depending on their price/performance etc... This year is actually a great example of that. 7 GWs gone (about a 5th of the season) and no big teams seem essential to pick from defensively speaking. Maybe Chelsea will tighten up as they generally do but they're playing a more attacking football this year so they may not use the "park the bus"-style as often as last year.

Finally you have the keeper. The trickiest choice IMO. I haven't found the solution there personally. I tried a big gun with a decent backup and with the cheapest second choice possible (to spend the saved cash elsewhere). I tried rotating cheapies. I tried a presumably good cheapie with no backup (from the same team if possible like Krul/Elliot this year). Haven't found a solution I'm really happy with. Yet...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

i have a question for anybody who is willing to answer it actually.

If sigurdsson's value is 6.8. then why am i only able to sell him for 6.4 ? same for fabregas , he is worth 9.7 but i can only sell for 9.3. I have had both these players since GW1 so i would of bought at their original prices so I would of thought if I wanted to sell them at any stage then I would get the current market value . why is this so?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

i have a question for anybody who is willing to answer it actually.

If sigurdsson's value is 6.8. then why am i only able to sell him for 6.4 ? same for fabregas , he is worth 9.7 but i can only sell for 9.3. I have had both these players since GW1 so i would of bought at their original prices so I would of thought if I wanted to sell them at any stage then I would get the current market value . why is this so?

You only get 0.1 for every 0.2 price rise.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭Arnold Tanzarian

PARlance wrote: »
    You only get 0.1 for every 0.2 price rise.

thank you

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭wreckless if true

hi guys just have a question regarding my free transfers that Im not sure about if anyone is willing to answer it would be great.

Just wondering. I have 2 FT this week, if I use just 1 FT then does that mean next week I will have 2 FT aswell, as Im banking 1 and will have another next week .. OR... does it mean if I dont use my 2 FT this week, I will just have the usual 1 FT next week like for GW 16.??

• Registered Users Posts: 42,080 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

hi guys just have a question regarding my free transfers that Im not sure about if anyone is willing to answer it would be great.

Just wondering. I have 2 FT this week, if I use just 1 FT then does that mean next week I will have 2 FT aswell, as Im banking 1 and will have another next week .. OR... does it mean if I dont use my 2 FT this week, I will just have the usual 1 FT next week like for GW 16.??

You will still have 2 free transfers if you just use 1 before the deadline.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 77 ✭✭wreckless if true

jebforever wrote: »
    You will still have 2 free transfers if you just use 1 before the deadline.

thanks a million

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Advertisement