Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Home Network Optimisation

• 21-10-2014 8:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭

Hi all, Looking for some help to make the most of my home set-up.

We have a 100% Mac household. A quick breakdown of my set up below.

- 2TB Time Capsule (router, backups and some file sharing)
    - Mac Mini under the TV as my central media hub (500MB + 1.0TB FireWire ext. HDD)
    - My wife has her 2012 13" Macbook Pro and
    - I have acquired her 2009 13" Macbook
    - 2 x iPads and 2 x iPhones
    - A selection of old iPods we've built over the years (rarely used now)

At the moment both iPads and iPhones are synced with the Mac Mini as that is were all the media resides. This is not ideal as its a pain if I want to do stuff on the Mini while the wife is watching TV etc....

While everything works, I'm sure I could make it work better for me if I had a little knowledge on how to set things up better.

I guess what I'm looking for is all of my media stored centrally and accessible transparently from each of the Macs. Allow my wife to sync her iPad and iPhone with her 2013 Macbook pro but still see all of the media without replicating it.

Help appreciated

If it matters all Macs are now running Yosemite.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭squonk

I'd go with Plex/XBMC for the media sync. I'd recommend Plex though it's a paid solution rather than XBMC which is 100% free. Plex comes in 2 parts, a server and a front end. You could deploy the server on your Mini and that would allow your wife to watch media on her MacBook even while you're using the Mini for something else entirely. Plex also has iPhone/iPad apps that allow you to sync media to your iOS devices for independent watching even when you're outside the network. The drawback is that your mini then needs to stay 'on' 100% of the time.

Alternatively, a more expensive solution is to purchase a NAS which takes replaceable disks. I have a QNAP NAS myself and some now support Plex Server as an app so you could farm that out onto the NAS.

Advertisement