Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The chances of you existing

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,659 ✭✭✭Chaotic_Forces

I should not have seen that when I'm sleep deprived. My head now hurts. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,919 ✭✭✭✭orourkeda

You also have to take account of the fact that your mother didnt have a headache the night you were conceived.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,469 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I'm pretty sure I exist though so up yours probability :p

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

Cant help but thinking this would be a lot more impressive if there weren't so many scumbags in the world too. Sort of cheapens the whole thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

The chances of you existing are exactly 1 since you exist. Your mans analysis fails because it assumes that every sperm/egg would result in a different "you" being born which is complete bolloxology.

• Advertisement

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Cant help but thinking this would be a lot more impressive if there weren't so many scumbags in the world too. Sort of cheapens the whole thing.

The laws of probability apply equally to scumbags.

Think of all the lovely individual skangers that occupy our planet today.

The chances of you existing are exactly 1 since you exist. Your mans analysis fails because it assumes that every sperm/egg would result in a different "you" being born which is complete bolloxology.

Which is why siblings are different.

Even twins etc are not the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Sticky_Fingers

orourkeda wrote: »
    Which is why siblings are different.

Even twins etc are not the same.
    True but would you any different if say you had slightly darker hair or a honking great nose. This treatment assumes that you are nothing more than the sum of your genetic parts which has very little bearing on who "you" are here and now (unless you were born with a congenital disease or condition).
    What is much more interesting is the decisions and random occurrences that have happened to make you "you".

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cool link bro

• Registered Users Posts: 25,059 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

An average man produces 3 kind of sperm:
    • Killer Sperm constitute about 83% of all the sperm -- these are sperm that attack any sperm from another man that may be in the woman. These sperm carry a lethal dose of poison in their head, seek out foreign sperm and inject it with this poison, killing it.

Well holy god

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Predator_ wrote: »
    Make the most of your life !!

I do make the most of my life.

Mostly by not reading long pages of maths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 424 ✭✭Walsh

That link was too much for a white man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

How is a it "bolloxology"? Different individual sperm would result in a different "you". All sperm are not the same, they are all genetically different to each other due to their chromosomal combinations. I take it you didn't do biology in school? There are 32 different chromosomes, each with 2 different possibilities (coming from either your own mother or father), therefore there are potentially 2^32 or 4,294,967,296, approximately 4.3 billion different combinations of your mother and father's chromosomes in the individual sperm you produce. The same number of combinations arise during egg development in the girl you are impregnating, meaning there would be 4.3 billion X 4.3 billion, or 10,844,674,407,000,000,000 possible combinations of chromosomes in the fertilised egg. To further increase genetic diversity, there are countless random recombination or mutation events that can also occur within individual sperm cells themselves aswell as in eggs, that multiply the figure of 10,844,674,407,000,000,000 by a potentially even more massive number.

The guy is perfectly right. The odds of you even being born from one specific sexual encounter are absolutely monumental. Like he mentioned himself he was extremely conservative in his numbers. Just taking into account the odds I outlined above it is insane. But if you factor in different generations of your fathers line and then do the same for your mothers line and then add in things besides just the everyday combinations and genetic mutations and variations of sperm and eggs, like the infinite number of things that had to occur just so your father and mother would end up meeting each other in the first place it gets really crazy.

To say that your genetic make up has very little effect on what makes you you is just nonsense aswell I'm afraid. Say you were born with blonde hair rather than brown? That could seriously alter the course of your life and how it played out. For a start maybe your first girlfriend originally noticed you because she loved guys with blonde hair. Change that and maybe she hooks up with your mate instead of you. Suddenly the entire course of your life has been redirected.

A butterfly flaps it's wings and all that.......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

strobe wrote: »
    There are 32 different chromosomes, each with 2 different possibilities (coming from either your own mother or father).

*cough* humans have 46 chromosomes *cough* :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Well holy god

SPERM FIGHT!!1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    *cough* humans have 46 chromosomes *cough* :P

Crap! Nothing to see here. Move along please. :o

I guess I could edit it but I take my fails when they happen. (I just wish they'd happen a little less frequently) Plus, maths makes my head hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I'd say slim to non-existent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

*click on link*

ExplodingHead.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭xyz1

I think this short song sums it up much better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭lil_lisa

Whenever something happens that I feel was lucky, I think about how it would feel to not have it or not be there and how I would feel if I were unlucky to make me feel more lucky. Honestly, in this situation, if I were unlucky I wouldn't exist so feelings, emotions or anything would not count so I would never feel unlucky, therefore I could never feel lucky, I just am.

• Advertisement
Advertisement