Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I missed an exam

Options
  • 13-05-2015 9:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hello all

I have missed one of my exams. I dont want to go into too much detail as to why I missed it. I am worried that the reason may not fall within the colleges mitigating circumstances procedure. If I am a no show for the exam can I just apply to sit the repeat exams in August or do I have to go the mitigating circumstances procedure? I am already repeating one exam in August so I will already have paid the 150 euro fee. I am in first year.

Shellakybooky

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,350 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

If you contact your course leader explaining to them why you missed it then you could get it 'deferred' until August as if it is your first time doing the exam.

If they are decent enough, they will accommodate you accordingly and it will just be like any other exam (marked out of 100%). If not, you would have to register to repeat it in August and would be marked to a maximum possible result of 40% which will put a dent in your averages (which are mandatory in the WIT work placement CVs).

EDIT: I'm not quite sure why your first port-of-call was boards.ie btw and not actually your course leader. They should've been notified immediately...or even the lecturer of the module.

Contact them first thing in the morning by phone if possible (office phone numbers on the wit website) or if you're still in Waterford go to their office.
    An email wouldn't cut it in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Shellakybooky

Thanks you for the reply. Yes I have sent an email onto the course leader, awaiting a reply now. I was just in a panic earlier and was looking for advice and information on what step to take next.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭imacman

If you don't hear from your course leader soon I would contact Academic affairs Tel.: 051-302042 Email: academicaffairs@wit.ie, as delaying isn't a good idea with this sort of thing.Some but not many lecturers and course leaders disappear on their holidays as the exams end and don't check email .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

If you missed an exam then come results day you will get an AB which means absent from exam, what I'm trying to say is if you decided to go down the route of not telling anyone about it, there will be an automatic link on results day for u to register yourself for a repeat in august which costs 150.
    but id go down the getting in contact with your lecturer route first as it might save you from forking out the 150 euros and the pass only grade.
    i think exam results are on june 8th this year, not sure tho

Advertisement