Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it illegal ....

Options
  • 10-10-2011 9:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

.... in Sweden to spay/neuter your dog?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

never heard of that?:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Just checked with a friend who is from Sweden - she laughed at the question - no way is it illegal in Sweden.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

As far as I know it is illegal to spay a female cat or dog in Norway, but not in Sweden.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lolalane

I have a book called, The complete illustrated Encyclopedia of Dogs and Puppies written by Sean O'Meara and Michael Hayward and it say

"It is illegal to spay or neuter a dog in Sweden unless it is for medical reasons. The Swedish Kennel Club believes it is the responsibility of the owner to prevent unwanted litters."

This book was published in 2008

Im confused :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Lolalane wrote: »

Im confused :confused:

So am I now ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I have fostered lots of dogs who went to Sweden.Some were spayed and neautered here others were done when they went to Sweden :)

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭carwash_2006

I never heard it was illegal. I did hear that most people don't bother and it is terribly expensive over there. I gather vets in general tend to be extremely expensive compared to what we pay here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

Shanao wrote: »
    As far as I know it is illegal to spay a female cat or dog in Norway, but not in Sweden.

I'm imagining pets from all over sweden making a desperate break for the Norwegian border.

Hmmmm and there was I delighted with my book. I wonder what other information is incorrect ......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Yes I have heard of this before but not sure which scandinavian country it is. From what I remember they can be spayed or neutered for medical reasons such as pyo but the way they see it is it is your responsibility to keep your dog confined and prevent unwanted pups, they look at it as an unnecessary operation and a lazy way out of keeping your dog safe. They also don't have a stray dog problem or a high euthanasia rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Is it illegal as in contrary to the law or maybe it is just the kennel club of the country that considers it should be illegal and is against the rules of the kennel club?

Good point foggy

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

Its not illegal in Sweden - but it was about 15 years ago - still not the norm though - they are more into responsible pet ownership. In Norway it is illegal - they actually term neutering as 'castration' they include spaying in this term - a bit harsh I think. Apparently they dont have a big problem with stray dogs in Norway but they do have a large ferral cat population so maybe their cats are not kept under control as their dogs :confused: They believe all animals have the right to be kept entire and that to operate when not necessary is cruel and not in the animals best interest. In the USA, the UK, Canada you have the largest number of neutering/spaying.

Advertisement