Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sad and lonely guinea pig

Options
  • 09-10-2011 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Hi all. One of my guinea pigs died yesterday :(. Ever since the other guinea who shared his hutch has been fretting and squeaking. He keeps running up and down the hutch looking for his friend. I've given him food to try and distract him but it doesn't seem to be working - it's heartbreaking! Can anyone recommend anything that will help the little guy out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

There's not much you can do except make a bit of extra fuss of him, maybe look into sourcing a young piggy to keep him company?
    They are very social and will happily live in pairs or small groups, best bet is a female or young male.
    Poor little piggy:(

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Smur

Yep, will definitely be looking in to getting a new pig soon. Until then I think it'll be extra cucumber and carrot for the little guy who's left :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

They love a bit of dandelion leaf, some herbs are good in small amounts, parsley, basil, dill, Rocket, and if you grow strawberry or raspberries in your garden, the leaves are safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Ah the poor piggy, if the pig doesn't chew on it you could try putting a guinea pig shaped/sized teddy in with him.

If it's a male guinea then a younger baby male just weaned is easier to introduce or if your guy is neutered a female guinea pig will work.

Maybe try a rescue or responsible breeder first because guinea pigs personalities can clash it's best to get one from someone who can take the pig back should they not get on and perhaps have some more pigs you can try until he finds one he gets on with.

Extra attention and cuddles should help, and if you have one..a snuggle safe heat pad will give him something warm to cuddle up to at night especially if his buddy cuddled with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Smur

Ah the poor piggy, if the pig doesn't chew on it you could try putting a guinea pig shaped/sized teddy in with him.

If it's a male guinea then a younger baby male just weaned is easier to introduce or if your guy is neutered a female guinea pig will work.

Maybe try a rescue or responsible breeder first because guinea pigs personalities can clash it's best to get one from someone who can take the pig back should they not get on and perhaps have some more pigs you can try until he finds one he gets on with.

Extra attention and cuddles should help, and if you have one..a snuggle safe heat pad will give him something warm to cuddle up to at night especially if his buddy cuddled with him.

I'm going to head down to the DSPCA at the end of the week to see if I can get him a friend. It says on their website that they currently have guineas so it'd be great to rescue one. I'll post pics if I do get one!

• Advertisement
Advertisement