Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Personal Statement

Options
  • 26-06-2013 11:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

I thought this forum would be a good place to ask for help. I'm going to apply for a student exchange to do my third year of college in america, in the application i have to write a personal statement on the reasons why i want to go. I was just wondering does anyone have any tips on writing it? anything that catch the reader's attention? Cheers in advance for any help :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

hey cmalone

interesting one there

reminds me of when we were applying for planning permission in the countryside and you had to write a sorta 'personal' justification of why you needed to build there - family in the area, jobs, roots, ties, that sort of thing.

I kept it short - used bullet points - kept it real obvious and clear - i always assume this stuff will only be sorta glanced at - no-one's going to analyse it to the nth degree - so you just want to get your points across quickly and with as little fuss as possible

I wouldn't try to do anything quirky or creative - i don't think the reader will be looking for anything like that - keep it simple and stick the the point

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cmalone92

hahaha ya i don't want to sound corny but i feel they might actually take into account what i say because its the only thing in the application that i feel they could judge me on. I'll just keep simple and truthful i suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

be great if you could see some examples of stuff thats worked in the past.

again, going back to my planning app, there were loads of examples of what to write in various articles, self build books etc as far as I can remember

have you gone googling???

• Registered Users Posts: 7 cmalone92

ya of course first port of call haha but all the results are for filled with things about why the person is a good candidate, i.e their achievements, hobbies etc not their reasons for applying.

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

Well, why not ask yourself - Why DO I want to go to the USA?
    Is it to experience a different culture? A different way of life? With so many different races, religions and creeds - USA is a place where you can learn so much - not just by reading books and studying but by living and going places and talking and meeting with others. Perhaps you know someone who has studied there and came back with glowing reports? Speak about why that makes you feel excited and what it was a friend said that made you think - "yes that's what I want!"
    Is it because USA is a land filled with opportunity? America is seen all over the world as the place to "make it". No matter what background you come from with hard work you can be whatever you want to be. Even Sinatra sang a song about it "If I can make it there - I'll make it anywhere" Ok so speciafically New York but you know what I mean.
    You could mention Obama and how the inauguration of first black president inspired you to do great things. Maybe I'm going OTT here but Americans love that sh!t right? ;)

Basically you need to convince him that you really do want to go the USA - specifically the USA - so think about what the USA offers you and what you can gain from studying there that no other country can.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Carra23

cmalone92 wrote: »
    I thought this forum would be a good place to ask for help. I'm going to apply for a student exchange to do my third year of college in america, in the application i have to write a personal statement on the reasons why i want to go. I was just wondering does anyone have any tips on writing it? anything that catch the reader's attention? Cheers in advance for any help :)

Research the college you are hoping to go to. You need to know it inside out and refer to it in your letter. Focus on your strong points, as in your character and also academically and then explain how going there, will further your development both personally and academically, referencing factual information about that college and showing how it will be a benefit to you.

Try to make them believe that they will benefit from having you, as much as you will benefit from getting to them, student exchange has to be a two way thing. You can try to convince them, by again, focusing on your strong points, discuss things you have achieved so far in college and in life in general and make them believe that what you bring with you will benefit all of the students in their college that you will spend a year with.

When you write the letter imagine you are in a job interview for a job you really want and need, then just put yourself out there with confidence and believe in what you say.

Hope it goes well and take this advice with a pinch of salt cos I never wrote a letter like that in my life !

Advertisement