Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what's NCI like?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

First two years of computing are handy, 3rd and 4th year are tough!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

I'm heading into 2nd year next month. Would you be able to tell me what its like.
    In first semester you'll be getting a mixed of theory and practical modules.

The theory modules will be:
      Intro to Software Engineering - This isn't a popular subject among students who just love programming. In first year you will introduced to class diagrams so you will be seeing more of UML diagrams in this module. There is no apparently no coding in this module but that may or not have changed.
      Business Entrepreneurship - Any business related subject is not popular among any computing student :p This module is obviously heavily theory based so be prepared to do well in the CAs.

The practical modules:
      Intro to Databases - This course will be split into two sections; MySQL (practical) and Database theory.
      Data Structures and Algorithms - If you liked Java programming in first year you'll like this module. It's a continue on from Java and you be introduced to different data structures.
      Web Development - This wasn't popular among students due to the fact the lecturers were reluctant to update the course material. It was all down to the previous course director two years ago who was dumped out and now replaced with a competent lecturer. There will be changes introduced such as PHP and introduction to frameworks that are now used in web development.

There is quite a lot to talk about but that's the first semester and you will get a team project in 2nd semester.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    In first semester you'll be getting a mixed of theory and practical modules.

The theory modules will be:
      Intro to Software Engineering - This isn't a popular subject among students who just love programming. In first year you will introduced to class diagrams so you will be seeing more of UML diagrams in this module. There is no apparently no coding in this module but that may or not have changed.
      Business Entrepreneurship - Any business related subject is not popular among any computing student :p This module is obviously heavily theory based so be prepared to do well in the CAs.

The practical modules:
      Intro to Databases - This course will be split into two sections; MySQL (practical) and Database theory.
      Data Structures and Algorithms - If you liked Java programming in first year you'll like this module. It's a continue on from Java and you be introduced to different data structures.
      Web Development - This wasn't popular among students due to the fact the lecturers were reluctant to update the course material. It was all down to the previous course director two years ago who was dumped out and now replaced with a competent lecturer. There will be changes introduced such as PHP and introduction to frameworks that are now used in web development.

There is quite a lot to talk about but that's the first semester and you will get a team project in 2nd semester.

Thanks so much. It actually looks very good. I love java and have done a lot of the summer myself. I might start PHP before we get back.

The project is interesting. How many is a group. Do you pick your own group, because 2 of the people in my group for OOP were retards. They were late handing it in as well, so we were all late.

Thanks so much. It actually looks very good. I love java and have done a lot of the summer myself. I might start PHP before we get back.

The project is interesting. How many is a group. Do you pick your own group, because 2 of the people in my group for OOP were retards. They were late handing it in as well, so we were all late.

You can pick your own team and ensure you pick your team wisely. There was a limit of 5 members per team set by my lecturer. However some lecturers may set it to 4 but that depends on the lecturer you get.

My advice before going into 2nd year is to keep up to speed with Java which is what you're doing at the moment, which is a good start. I suspect the PHP will be quite basic so if you start now you'll be flying when you're back in September.

You can pick your own team and ensure you pick your team wisely. There was a limit of 5 members per team set by my lecturer. However some lecturers may set it to 4 but that depends on the lecturer you get.

My advice before going into 2nd year is to keep up to speed with Java which is what you're doing at the moment, which is a good start. I suspect the PHP will be quite basic so if you start now you'll be flying when you're back in September.

Also how advanced SHOULD you be in java by the time you finish 2nd year.

• Advertisement

Also how advanced SHOULD you be in java by the time you finish 2nd year.
    Well you'll never stop learning about Java till you leave the building entirely :p But you should have sufficient knowledge to get started in Android Development which based itself on the Java language. It would be a good project for 2nd year and the lecturers seem to like seeing apps.

Well you'll never stop learning about Java till you leave the building entirely :p But you should have sufficient knowledge to get started in Android Development which based itself on the Java language. It would be a good project for 2nd year and the lecturers seem to like seeing apps.

Cheers man, and good luck with 3rd year. BTW have you got a work placement yet.

Cheers man, and good luck with 3rd year. BTW have you got a work placement yet.
    I just done an interview last week and another one this week. However most firms don't start recruiting til early September but it's worth getting started early in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 phily1986

Anybody know can you get back to education allowance for NCI???

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

phily1986 wrote: »
    Anybody know can you get back to education allowance for NCI???

Yes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 phily1986

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    Yes.

Have you gotten it yourself for there, cant find any info on the internet to say you can get it for there

phily1986 wrote: »
    Have you gotten it yourself for there, cant find any info on the internet to say you can get it for there

You can. A friend of mine gets it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There wouldn't be any info online with a list of colleges, it's any 3rd level college that you're entitled to it, if it's a government funded course.

Advertisement