Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

writing a criminal/psychopathic mind??

Options
  • 04-06-2013 1:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭

I've FINALLY started working on my novel :D My main antagonist is a psychopath and although its easy enough to find general characteristics, profiles and case studies online, I would really like to get into the nitty gritty nuances of a psychopathic personality. I want to be wowed and charmed and manipulated by one, just to see what it feels like :) I want to know what really motivates them, why they love destruction and chaos. I was thinking of maybe finding a few prison pen pals that might give me a clear idea but I'm not sure if this is a good idea or not (:o I'm a fraidy-cat) What is the best way to go about my research without putting myself in any real danger?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Try researching real psychopathic serial killers.
    There's plenty of info online that goes into the mind of the likes of Jeffrey Dahmer etc.
    No need to get a prison pen pal. I'm sure you'll be able to find lots of online resources.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

The successful ones won't be in prison so I wouldn't look there. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,943 ✭✭✭smcgiff

Think of the guy that helps out at the local charity shop, attends mass every week, is on the local neighbourhood watch, big supporter of the local GAA team... and make him your highly functioning psychopath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

I found this TED Talks lecture by Jon Ronson a great watch OP & may provide some insight or just prove an amusing diversion.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ahayzer42

There's a book called 'Exquisite Corpse' by Poppy Z Brite. It's horrendous - I had to read it for college and couldn't make it through 80 pages but it's based on the principal of if Jeffrey Dahmer and Denis Nillson ever met what would happen - there's plenty of crazy and depravity in it. Might be more of a gore-fest than insight though - I'm not sure, it made me ill.

You could also try looking up some of the college journals if you have a kind student with a log in and trawl through the psychology articles - tedious but you might strike gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Mormophile

I agree with Yamanoto about Jon Ronson - his book The Psychopath Test, is a great read for information about this subject.

If you want to go to source, check out the work of Robert Hare, who was the first researcher to really delve into and define psychopathy as we currently understand it.

I came across a book about the Columbine massacre in my local bookstore. It's a fascinating look into the mind of Eric Harris, whose psychopathic cunning and tendencies the author contrasts with the more depressive, and arguably manipulated, Dylan Klebold. It's called Columbine and it's by Dave Cullen.

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭alfa beta

ahayzer42 wrote: »
    I had to read it for college

...the hell were you studying????

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭ahayzer42

alfa beta wrote: »
    ...the hell were you studying????

I was doing a module on Gothic and Horror literature and film, etc. The rest of it covered Dracula, Frankenstein and modern Hollywood horror Vs European Horror films, etc.

That was the roughest part of it to be honest. I actually told the lecturer that she was evil for making us read it. It worked to my advantage - she didn't ask me any questions about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 628 ✭✭✭hcass

smcgiff wrote: »
    Think of the guy that helps out at the local charity shop, attends mass every week, is on the local neighbourhood watch, big supporter of the local GAA team... and make him your highly functioning psychopath.

He already sounds like a psychopath to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

Read a basic psychiatry text maybe. Look up antisocial personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, etc. Psychopathy isn't a disorder per se, but you can get good character traits from the DSM or ICD classifications of personality disorders.
    e.g. no problem starting relationships but problems maintaining them, blames others for problems etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

etymon wrote: »
    Read a basic psychiatry text maybe. Look up antisocial personality disorder, borderline personality disorder, etc. Psychopathy isn't a disorder per se, but you can get good character traits from the DSM or ICD classifications of personality disorders.
    e.g. no problem starting relationships but problems maintaining them, blames others for problems etc.

I do that all the time but I thought that was what everybody did. Now I'm worried I have a personality disorder.
    Maybe worrying about having a personality disorder is a sign that there is something wrong with my mind.
    I need a drink.
    Is that a sign I'm overdependent on an addictive substance?
    It's all your fault I'm in this state. At least I have someone to blame.:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭etymon

echo beach wrote: »
    I do that all the time but I thought that was what everybody did. Now I'm worried I have a personality disorder.
    Maybe worrying about having a personality disorder is a sign that there is something wrong with my mind.
    I need a drink.
    Is that a sign I'm overdependent on an addictive substance?
    It's all your fault I'm in this state. At least I have someone to blame.:confused:

Ha. Personality disorders necessitate a long list of traits, maybe eight-ten, most of which on their own or in a smaller combination we all have, don't worry. It makes for good reading to spot the traits in a character as you go along and for them all to collide in the end.
    Same with the criteria for autism, lots of them, and many of us will have a few of them in isolation without the typical history.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭Agent Weebley

Quoth The Raven: Poeslore?

Advertisement