Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pros and Cons of Petrol Camper from mid 1980s

Options
  • 22-03-2010 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭

Hi All,

I’m planning to buy an older camper from the mid 1980s and could use some advice. For an ample supply of parts, I have decided to go with a Ford Transit, a highly common van that parts should be easier to come by. I’m presently considering buying one with a petrol engine. As a petrol engine Ford Transit is quite rare, I’m concerned that specific parts may be difficult to come by. I am also concerned about the fuel bill, even though petrol is only slightly dearer than diesel lately (it may have gas gussling properties that a diesel of same age may not have).

If anyone has any tips or information that I should take into account in making this decision, I am all ears.

Thanks In Advance for all responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Hi All,

I’m planning to buy an older camper from the mid 1980s and could use some advice. For an ample supply of parts, I have decided to go with a Ford Transit, a highly common van that parts should be easier to come by. I’m presently considering buying one with a petrol engine. As a petrol engine Ford Transit is quite rare, I’m concerned that specific parts may be difficult to come by. I am also concerned about the fuel bill, even though petrol is only slightly dearer than diesel lately (it may have gas gussling properties that a diesel of same age may not have).

If anyone has any tips or information that I should take into account in making this decision, I am all ears.

Thanks In Advance for all responses.

It won't be anywhere near as nice to drive, as it won't have the torque to pull itself comfortably up hills and so on . I used to have a petrol Transit...

Also they are not just hard on fuel , they're alcoholics!

They rust badly too.

The engine won't be as simple or rugged as the Diesel either .

Honestly I don't know why you'd go for such an old van , a mate of mine bought a semi high roof '99 Diesel Tranny for about 600 or 700 euro the other day , and its running well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭paddyp

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Honestly I don't know why you'd go for such an old van

Bananas by name .... think of your 1980s camper as a sieve with two euro coin sized holes that you pour money into while holding the ever decreasing sands of time in the other hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyBananas

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Also they are not just hard on fuel , they're alcoholics!

Hi Aidan_M_M,

If possible could you put that statement into estimated miles per gallon.

Again, thanking you in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭JohnnyBananas

Deleted Message

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Hi Aidan_M_M,

If possible could you put that statement into estimated miles per gallon.

Again, thanking you in advance.

20mpg or less . Depending on the weight you're carrying .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

are ya going for the older mk2's also for there classic shape?yes they are far from modern but they have character.i'll check on one of me transit sites.are you getting a camper or a motorhome?

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭bugsntinas

with the diesel some are getting between 25-30 mpg.it depends what size engine you get.the diesel is quite noisy though compared to petrol.

Advertisement