Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Chassis and Why

Options
  • 22-03-2010 9:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

Looking at new campervan and was wondering about preferred choices of chassis and why.

I know this could be an individuals self preference but some may have particular reasons.

Am interested in a new Transit RHD myself because of dealer network and huge parts availability. RHD because my trips to the continent will be rare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

RHD or LHD is just a matter of personal preference ...RWD (rear wheel drive) or FWD (front wheel drive) is where the real arguments start :D.

Me, personally, I think that FWD is fine for camper-VANS but big and heavy motorhomes are better served with RWD.
    (As this rules out the Ducato chassis, there isn't much left after that)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

I've driven 8m plus Twin axles , I've driven/sold/serviced/towed with Fords , Fiats , Renaults , VWs , Mercs , Pug+Citroens(basically Fiats) , And I could never fault the FWD . If you do want RWD , I'd have a VW LT based one over a Merc , and a Merc over a Ford . You rarely ever see Premium class motorhomes on Transits .

Parts availabilty for Fiats or Renaults isn't a problem , A Fiat/Peugeot/Citroen are basically identical , And Renault/Nissan/Opel vans are too . Parts for them aren't expensive either .

I'm a Fiat man myself , my dad always had them since I were a nipper , but the modern Renault MAster based Vans are very impressive . WE have some sold since 2006 , and had no issues at all with them . A wiper stalk and a reverse light switch is all the failures I can think of!

The 3.0 Fiat may have more power , the 2.3 Fiat is incredibly impressive for its size and a beaut to drive , but the Master is also very very comfy , and a helluva lot easier on fuel . And has plenty of poke too . Dad has an A-class on Renault, and drove to Spain with a Rally car and trailer! No problems .

The Transits aren't particularly comfy , reliable , refined or economical in the higher bhp models , and the smaller engined ones are underpowered for campers .

Also RWD means a higher camper , as the floor will be higher to go over the prop haft . So they tend to be less stable in cross winds.

How large a camper and what layout have you in mind?

Advertisement